Fratton Park

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by portsmouth tyke, Aug 15, 2024.

1. portsmouth tyke

portsmouth tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Went the other night with my daughter ( season ticket holder) closed the South stand but the atmosphere was unbelievable, anyway they played Williams at centre half, lost the game, he was at fault for Milwalls goal and was subbed. I was then overwhelmed with messages from Pompey fans telling me how fking rubbish he is, I did say it's only 2 games in and he's a full back, I did finish off by saying ( tongue in cheek) not interested, he's your problem now

Last edited: Aug 15, 2024
  2. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm surprised he managed to get a championship club after his dismal showing last season. (Not entirely his fault). Even as a full back ,I didn't think he was championship level.

3. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Utterly baffling that he’s still being played at CB. Blame lies with the coaching staff for me. It’s not like there isn’t any evidence of what he’s like in that position. Such a shame.

portsmouth tyke and Googs like this.
  4. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Read an article in summer from local press when it was rumoured about signing him and it quoted his stats as being one of the best in the league.

portsmouth tyke likes this.
  5. Dwr

Dwrawa Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He was terrible at FB aswell - he just caused less problems there as its not as busy an area of the pitch. Very overrated in my opinion and I was delighted to see him go from a football perspective. He is at best, an average league 1 footballer. I didn't ever fault his work rate or how he came across as a person etc. I have seen alot better FBs over the years (All a matter of opinion though)

6. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There was some pompey fans at our game v Mansfield sat in front of me at Oakwell they had come up the day before they played Leeds and asked me about Williams. I did say he shouldn’t be played at centre back and that he’s always got an error in him.

7. RC_

RC_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Going against the grain it would seem but I liked Williams and out of all the players that left in the summer, he was the one I would’ve wanted to stay the most.

Season under Duff, in his proper position, he was great for us. Last season is maybe adding some recency bias because he’s never a centre halve in a million years. He could just about get away with it on the right of a back 3 maybe but playing him in 2, crazy really. More fool Pompey I guess.

8. Jud

Juddy G Well-Known Member

Watter man
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not at all surprised he gave the goal away, he wasn’t good enough for league one (CH of full back), why he’d be good enough for championship is baffling.

9. SouthCoastTyke

SouthCoastTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Always a cracking atmosphere at Fratton Park. They could fill it twice over on match days. I can hear the crowd when they’re playing, about 5min by car from me.

10. Barmytyke

Barmytyke New Member

Full time Carer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    think he was deemed good enough cos he had some ( not great) experience at that level and ....................he was a FREE!! ...... I liked the guy when he was played in the right position he was a player who could make a difference but CB? never in a million years and if pompey continue to play him there they gonna find out to their detriment i think .

John Peachy likes this.
  11. portsmouth tyke

portsmouth tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree, that Portsmouth song by Mike Oldfield revs up all the stadium, the atmosphere created by 13k for a round 1 comp was quality tbh, been a few times and it's not just one end it's every stand, as you know there catchment area is massive, 25 miles to the east of Southampton, 60 miles west and south of Brighton and Reading, we probably have about 15 league clubs within that area

SouthCoastTyke likes this.
  12. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Confirming once again that everything you know about football could be written on the back of a SIM card using a permanent marker.

Acido Tyke, Jimmy viz and Red CB like this.
  13. Jud

Watter man
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oh have a day off will you ! Not everyone has to concur with your assessment, you and a handful more on here really get on my t1ts with your “ only my positive comments allowed” boring as sin. Oh and if you are unclear I couldn’t give two sh1tes for your opinion.
    Other than that have a nice day.

14. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You're allowed to voice any opinion you like. But when the overwhelming majority of your posts are negative and unconstructive, you're likely to get called out on that. Williams had a poor season at centre half, nobody is denying that. But a poor full back? Give over, he was consistently excellent for us at right back, including in a side which reached the Championship play-offs. He was clearly good enough, and I'm guessing that there are objective metrics available which will bear that out.

15. Jud

Watter man
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Probably is but there’ll also be data that proves he was part of the defence that got relegated to league one!
    Folk get blinded by a bit of pace going forward he couldn’t defend for toffee whether at RWB or CH, and from my point of view if he was all that he should be able to play CH so it’s just excuses for defending a poor player saying he was out of position.
    You will only get positive comments from me when There is anything to be positive about because for the last 5 or 6 years everything BFC related is going backwards so I’m a realist.

wakeyred likes this.
  16. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Others commented on what they thought of William's. Excellent at which level. I have to admit I'm not his biggest fan and good league one (fullback) maybe. Nice kid. But that doesnt make him a great player.
    I generally only criticise players after they've left the club as I don't think whilst here it serves a purpose, only to upset a player. Take Kane for example. Great workrate. But couldn't pass Watter. Lots will disagree but opinions are just that. Players I've seen as mediocre at best get rave reviews on here. Luckily I've seen the best under Hunter and Wilson. McHale was widely liked but I couldn't take to his sideways game a bit like Ray Wilkins. But I do respect the careers they both had. Opinions eh.

Juddy G likes this.
  17. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Very good L1 full back. Good championship full back. Poor at either level at centre half. Football is a simple game play players in the right position or not at all

John Peachy and Merde Tete like this.
  18. Baz

Bazza Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    100% spot on.

19. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Williams is more overrated the Styles, absolutely gash last time we were at that level and not much better in league one. Bizarre how people rate him, couldn’t head a ball to save his life.

Juddy G likes this.
  20. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who to believe football coaches and scouts or a bloke off the inter web. Decisions. Decisions.

Acido Tyke likes this.