Homelessness

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by e-red, May 15, 2022.

1. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Was out for a meal with my wife in Cambridge last night and couldn’t believe the number of people sleeping in doorways and begging. 12 years of Tory rule certainly hasn’t helped and I’ve heard all the arguments about idlers and addicts, but nobody would choose to live like this just to avoid going to work.
    It’s time this problem was taken away from the police and we had a properly funded social service department to give these unfortunate people what they need to get their lives back.
    I took a couple of young people to McDonald’s and bought them a meal but it seemed hopeless compared to the problem.

Hicksy, Snaptin, JamDrop and 6 others like this.
  2. TonyTyke

TonyTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's 2022. I fail to understand how it (sleeping rough/homelessness) can be a thing.

Redhelen, JLWBigLil and e-red like this.
  3. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I write this at a time when Johnson is threatening to cut 91000 civil service jobs and there’s a backlog on passports and just about everything else.

4. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's crazy in this day and age. Very few choose it as a lifestyle.
    Whilst on a short break this year in Torquay. On one of/if not the coldest days of the year. A copper came into the large Hotel. 3/4 empty to ask the receptionist if they had a room available for a rough sleeper. They made up a room in a part of the hotel unoccupied. My mrs heard an oap moan next morning to the reception. Disgusted at their allowing a young man a room for the night.
    What the **** is up with folk. "O'reight love we'll let the young man freeze to death to keep you happy" what a horrible person .

5. ryc

rycalshaw Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This idea that the government had about housing asylum seekers in army barracks' could the same thing not be applied to the homeless should they wish to take up the offer...

6. Jud

Juddy G Well-Known Member

Watter man
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Barnsley is currently really bad, walk round town at 18:00 onwards when the shops are shut, it’s awful and a really hard situation drugs is a factor but I try not to judge as some of them it’s whatever gets them through from day to day, when it’s cold enough for gloves and a hat I despair what it must be like to crouch through the night in all conditions.
    The sad reality is it will get a whole lot worse over the next 12 months, I often give loose change or buy some snacks but given the sheer number it’s impossible

7. Hooky feller

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Noticed the same around shops mate. Eg Asda. Both entrances. Harbro hills retail park 2/3 on most occasions I try give to all. (And as you say, try not to judge. People say we are feeding some of them their habit. I get that. but it's tragic ) . but we shouldn't have to. In this day and age. The adverts on homelessness say it all.
    No address = No job. The system is fecked.

Juddy G and e-red like this.
  8. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

tbf the Civil service has been long overdue cutting back, used to know somebody years ago who worked there for a bit and she aid it was ridiculous.
    Not suggesting folk should be chucked out of work, they could lose loads through 'natural wastage' , just stop replacing staff who retire from over staffed departments and stuff.
    While they are at it they could chop the MP's heavily subsidised bars and stuff and use the money for something worthwhile.

9. Don

Donny-Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’d bet I know more civil servants than the one you knew who thought it was ‘ridiculous’.

They’re largely underpaid, working in terrible conditions and all with the joy of being an occasional aunt Sally when the government of the day needs a distraction.

Currently, every arm of government is stretched close to breaking point, we all know this, so what kind of idiot nods agreement when JRM announces that it’s over staffed.

This is a man who took 4 members of staff (2 SPADS & 2 senior civil servants) with him on his press rounds to discuss this, who has no computer on his desk and thinks it’s everyone else who’s ‘out of touch’.

When the sh it hits the fan, people are glad there’s people to pay them benefits, get them home from abroad, sort out their furlough payments, keep the courts and the hospitals running.

But once they’re ‘comfortable’ they soon come to the conclusion they’d rather not pay for those things to happen.

10. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    you are right we definitely need less border guards fewer people working in the passport office and DVLA.

e-red likes this.
  11. portsmouth tyke

portsmouth tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    During covid at work an Admiral walked around Navy Headquarters and was asking the skeleton staff who were in what the people do on the empty desks around the office, he realised that the office was employing a dozen or so to do the same job that the reduced staff can do comfortably, hence to see a cull was carried out

12. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There definitely needs to be more affordable housing for single people, and more support for those who struggle to organise their lives for whatever reasons be it mental health, learning disabilities etc

e-red likes this.
  13. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So more unemployment, and more pressure on those who still work there. Win win.

14. Hooky feller

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How many of those not in the office were working from home. Genuine question. The entire office staff and those not on the front line at YW were asked to work from home. Some chose not to.
    You have to ask yourself why they were employed in the first place. Decisions made usually by those at the top. Maybe they should walk given their incompetence.

e-red and Redhelen like this.
  15. North Yorks Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    sorry for the misunderstanding, I was on about Whitehall staff, not councils etc, the ones on a cushy number while the departments that need help are struggling

16. North Yorks Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Maybe so but can see the confusion, I'm only on about the ones in Whitehall, believe me , they definitely aren't overworked

17. TonyTyke

TonyTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Taking of passports, my sister needed hers renewing and was panicced (that's not a word but should be) that they were taking so long (according to the media). I'm not sure exactly how long it took but it certainly less than the 10 weeks quoted.

One wonders if there ever was a real issue.

Redhelen likes this.
  18. Hooky feller

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The waiting time is 5 weeks in general. But they are asking folk to apply 10 weeks in advance.

Redhelen likes this.
  19. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's sad but a lot of UK people don't want to help them by taking them in.

20. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s about definition of civil servants. You can bet it won’t be Whitehall staff.

Donny-Red and Redhelen like this.