Interview with Mark Burton on radio Sheffield

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by In4reds, Jun 26, 2024 at 8:55 PM.

1. In4

In4reds Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not very techno so if someone could put a link on but a 20mins interview on bbc sounds with bunny talking about his time at Barnsley and his part in Stonesy development. Top bloke his bunny young Alfie been lucky enough to play grassroots football under him for 2 1/2yrs generous with his time and guidance.

2. Baldrick

Baldrick Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is this it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0j6dj2s

3. In4

In4reds Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  4. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just listening to it now and interesting hearing him talking about Stones, Hecky and Hourihane. He's obviously an energetic and accomplished coach and still got plenty of time for Barnsley. What I didn't like though is that he's got all the coaching buzzwords and talks enthusiastically about playing in boxes and his admiration for the likes of Pep who invented the tikka takka style of football while at Barca. Now I know that some people like this way of playing football but I'd suggest that the majority hate the version currently on show at every England match, and, of course, we don't like watching it at Oakwell either.

I'm not suggesting that a player should immediately launch the ball upfield aimlessly every time they get it but playing it in little triangles, repeating it time after time before sliding it back to the keeper bores me rigid. I suppose it's the "modern game" but as one who was privileged to watch the Allan Clarke/Norman Hunter Barnsley years I know which kind of football I prefer. Maybe we've got something better to look forward to next season than the mostly poor stuff from last year - let's wait and see. It's true though that the previous HC's methods got a us a top six finish again but we all know it wasn't great to watch most of the time. Obviously there were exceptions but we weren't, on the whole, well entertained.

5. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Slight variation between us and Man City. We do with it with players that can’t really do it on the same scale Man City can. Can’t imagine you would find too many city fans complaining about the way they play. Would be interesting to see pep managing England I think.

ubique_tyke and Redrascal like this.
  6. Red

Redrascal Well-Known Member

Salesman
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When we were playing Chelsea in cup and pressing under val they were very good at keeping ball at back then moving it forward,I remember us pushing them feet away from by line and still played round us,pressing in this league would deffo create chances,it did in championship,if were gonna be playing it trippy happy again think Conner could play in front of defence,get it to him in a yard of space he could pick a good pass that gets us attacking.