Laboured, slow and toothless

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by troff, Oct 21, 2020.

1. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair enough they camped behind the ball, but we were absolutely woeful in possession in that last twenty five minutes.

Too slow, no real creativity, no risks taken to try and play the ball through. Just slow moving square balls.

On 65 minutes I cried out for Matty James to come on, probably for Mowatt. He could have sat deeper and got Kane twenty yards further forward.

I certainly wouldn’t have taken off Brittain - very effective down the right second half - to then bring on Luke Thomas. Waste of a shirt and made it 10 v 10 in effect.

Donks likes this.
  2. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didnt Mowatt put Odour into a great position on 3 occasions only for Clark to want to square it.

Mido, Voice of Reason, Django and 4 others like this.
  3. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Other than his shot I thought Mowatt was abso-bloody-lutely fantastic tonight. Won loads of ball, passing was spot on, got us right on the front foot, played our wide men in countless times and weighed in with a brilliant assist.

Seems that it's become the in-thing to have a go at him on here since Nudger started his vendetta but I'll judge each player game by game and he was our driving force in a game which but for defensive aneurysms we should have won comfortably.

(Agree about Thomas - we were murdering them down the right with Brittain but then lost all that with the staggering introduction of Thomas).

Mido, Voice of Reason, Django and 2 others like this.
  4. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair thinking back Thomas didn’t come on for brittain, he’d been on for a bit when he went off for Schmidt.

Same applies though, he’s not looked particularly effective since the first game of last season.

Farnham_Red and Redhelen like this.
  5. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I thought the only moments of real quality came from Woodrow, Mowatt and Kane. Lots of effort, but lots of waste, particularly Oduor, though he got in very good positions.

the issues we constantly have are speed of transition, individual errors and decision making. None are especially easy fixes.

6. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Mowatt sprayed it out wide numerous times and played well. Perfectly weighted passes to Oduor to run on to where he should have drilled it hard and low towards goal.

He also setup the Frieser goal and played the through ball for Frieser at the start of the game when he chipped it to Woodrow at the back post.

7. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    You're right he didn't, but from a point where Brittain had had the freedom of the right wing, Thomas coming on stifled all that, got in his way and slowed things down, nullifying Brittain's previous advantage.

8. Sco

Scott Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was screaming at Odour to hit it instead of playing it behind everyone else!

Loko the Tyke likes this.
  9. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Anyone who didn’t think Mowatt had a good game tonight doesn’t know what they’re watching in my opinion. It’s getting ridiculous. Game after game he’s the hardest working player & the only one creating anything yet he’s getting unwarranted criticism.

10. Voi

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Apart from one wayward shot, Mowatt did pretty well when he got forward. He is the best player we have at spotting the right pass around the edge of the box.

Geddiswasguud, Exile and Redhelen like this.
  11. Voi

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree completely with you about Mowatt's contribution tonight. I think Murray can get the best out of both him and Woodrow, who also had a very good game.

Exile likes this.
  12. Voi

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Spot on. It's amazing how some people appear not to notice all the good work which Mowatt does on a consistent basis.

Redhelen likes this.
  13. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Mowatt was excellent....shooting apart.

Exile, Redhelen and Django like this.
  14. Ged

Geddiswasguud Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Imho I thought mowatt and woody were back to somewhere near their old form and it was good to see their effort and industry.
    Other positives, brittain, and palmer had good games. We also now look dangerous from set pieces (corners mainly) and we scored 2 goals in open play.
    Negatives, same old really, our passing needs to quicken up 30% and get some more shooting practice in. I think tactically (formation wise) we did well but didnt utilise space well enough when they went down to 10..ie use the flanks, odour and britain were worrying them. Last 20 we seemed very laboured and i thought they were going to nick it.
    Overall dissapointed we didnt get 3 points but hopefully when we get james in there he will start to make us tick.

sadbrewer likes this.