Mesh internet/networking

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by jptykes, Jul 21, 2024.

1. jptykes

jptykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Seen this mentioned on here a few times. We've got a couple of dead spots around the house and one of the security cameras keeps losing connection - would mesh help with this?

We're currently with Virgin and generally have no issues with the internet connection other than what's highlighted above. They did send a couple of pods to boost signal in other areas of the house but they just made things worse overall so we've stopped using them.

Is mesh easy to setup? I'm awful at these kind of things and don't want to make the situation worse, especially as I rely on the internet to work from home for three days a week.

Is it expensive? Am I going to need a lot of extra devices? Again, don't really want to spend a huge amount if it's not going to significantly improve the situation.

I had a quick Google but if I'm honest anything beyond plug it in and turn it on tends to send me into a panic.

I realise I should probably have asked this before Amazon Prime day and I could have maybe picked some stuff up cheaper.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

2. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have quit a big house & ran the Virgin media signal thingy( no issues) Have you checked your router position or any electrical interference (cooker, fridge, T.V. or P.C. etc) ?

3. jptykes

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah, even moved the hub twice and the same spots struggle

4. thetykester

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Get in touch with Virgin media, they will give you a booster for free, if you are deem to be having problems with your WIFI signal.

5. thetykester

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just the one minst, any extra will be at a cost.

6. jptykes

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They did. As mentioned in the initial post it didn't improve things overall and actually killed the connection dead in my daughter's room.

7. kez

kez Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've got a 700 quid router but i still have a room upstairs that is a black hole. I have a mesh system using a couple of other Asus routers connected but you can get a decent cheaper version. The Eero from Amazon gets good reviews and would have more than likely been on special earlier this week. You get them in packs of 3, one connects to your router with a cable and the other 2 go elsewhere in the house, they also have ethernet ports in the back so if you do work from home you can connect your pc/laptop via ethernet cable to give you a better connection. Yes it can be a minefield but it's not as complicated as it looks

8. thetykester

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry, I didn't read to full post :rolleyes:

9. thetykester

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Check your neighbours, they might be excessing your signal :eek:

10. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have BT whole home that we use with Virgin as we had a lot of dead spots and they work really well. They almost are plug and play, you just have to set them up with an app which is dead easy.

Were the things Virgin sent you power lines or mesh do you know? If they were mesh then different ones will just do the same thing, unless you buy more powerful ones.

The thickness of your walls makes the biggest impact. You have to have good signal between your router and the mesh which then sends the signal to the next place. If your outside wall is too thick for it to send the signal then you probably need to get it wired which is always guaranteed to work but obviously requires a wire being put in. If it was for an internal room you could probably work around the problem wall by adding more points (e.g. up through the floor, across to a different room then back down through the floor) but it’s trickier if it’s the external wall.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2024
    kez likes this.
  11. jptykes

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They'd need the password for that surely?

12. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've got a Netgear Nighthawk extender which does the job brilliantly, but it was a couple of hundred quid. Fits the 'plug it in and turn on' brief though - took about ten minutes.

I'd definitely check out a few cheaper options first if I had the space and time to experiment, but can't argue with the results of what I've ended up with.

13. jptykes

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They were pods like this
    https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/virgin-intelligent-wifi-pod

That's what confuses me - our home makes new builds look solid. We literally only have the outer walls and chimney breast made of brick, the rest is timber frame and plasterboard. The house is a Spooner(?) design built in the 1950s. Theoretically, there should be nothing to stop a WiFi signal.

14. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So that is mesh. If you had it set to 5GHz, that doesn’t go through walls, it’s better set to set it to the slower 2.4GHz as it’s a bigger wavelength.

If you do try another mesh system, you might need to think more about positioning or getting better hardware.

15. MexboroughTyke

MexboroughTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Alternatively, you could run an ethernet cable, or two if your dead spots are in opposite ends of the house, and add access points near the deadspots. They're hardwired into the router so the connection should be more stable. With mesh systems, if nodes are too far away from eachother then the connection can be a bit hit and miss.

We've just done this after upgrading our broadband to 500mbps+. It worked out cheaper than upgrading the mesh system we had which couldn't supply that speed.

16. kez

kez Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I had the BT discs a while back and they were good to be fair, I just needed something beefy as my Plex/NAS server has files as big as 75GB to play over the WiFi

JamDrop likes this.
  17. thetykester

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Correct sir.

18. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I’ve got BT whole home Wi-Fi and it’s pretty good to be fair. I use 4 discs and the router.

I get 70 meg into house and worst location in house is probably 40 meg so good enough to stream etc

19. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One thing that doesnt seem to be mentioned above is, have you tried changing the channel on your router? if you look on your virgin router it should show you instructions to get in the admin side of things.
    Log in and change the channel to Auto, make sure you have an etherner with a laptop/pc just incase you lose connection and need ot change it back (very rare it happens when changing to auto).

I am on Virgin but changed the location of the router and incoming line to under the stairs and since the little one got a mini fridge in his room the signal upstairs has been shocking, i ended up buying a Netgear router and changing the Virgin one to a modem and using that but it didnt help much to be honest. Still shocking signal upstairs, i have a cheap booster off Amazon which did help the speed rom 3mb/s to 36mb/s but when i am on 500mb/s its a little annoying that i aint getting anywhere near. I will eventually run an ethernet in every room to sort the issue, but thats something else.

Have you ever thought as well that it could be the camera thats playing up? what camera is it? can you reboot it or change the settings on it?