O/T Panorama documentary on Boxing.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Donny Red, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thought there would be repercussions after the Panorama documentary on boxing
    had aired. Threats have now been made and mysteriously, Tyson Fury has suddenly
    clammed up.!

Panorama: BBC team threatened following Boxing and the Mob programme https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55956375

2. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s a good watch especially for the general public in Britain who probably don’t know much about what’s gone off over the last few years.

The problem in boxing is that no organisation has jurisdiction over the sport so the Kinahan cartel / MTK can get away with it.

If there was a documentary like this about football then it would be commented on by all the top journos from all the big newspapers.

In boxing if Steve Bunce, Gareth Davies or any other of the big boxing journos report negatively on them then they’ll just ban them & they’ll get away with it & unfortunately if you get banned by MTK then you lose access to Frampton - Herring, Saunders - Canelo, Taylor - Ramirez & of course Fury - Joshua. If you get banned by them then you’re not worth keeping in a job so you’ll notice that none of the boxing journos have commented on this documentary.

They did it with the Irish media a couple of years back. Banned them from all their fights & instructed their fighters not to give interviews to them & now they don’t ask any questions about Kinahan / MTK

3. Cro

CrossGates Red Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As a boxing scribe by trade, I have always had a love hate relationship with MTK. The people involved in the boxing arm of the business outside of Daniel are overall really good people but I can completely understand why people are uneasy with their existence. One thing which did tickle me was McGuigan, who himself is hardly any angel in the sport with his business practices.

Django, MexboroughTyke and BarTyke like this.
  4. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Loved the documentary and listening to Barry Mcguigan who was very brave to speak out and has probably been threatened too.

Django and Redhelen like this.
  5. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's a murky world.

6. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Organised crime and boxing have gone hand in hand for years.

From left to right

Tony Tucker Top Level drug dealer
    Nigel Benn Boxer
    Carlton Leach Football hooligan turned doorman turned gangland enforcer and drug dealer.

[​IMG]

7. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think a lot of people just think boxing & crime goes hand in hand or that it’s probably just two gangs going after each other but it’s far worse than that. Kinahan’s far worse than Don King or anyone like him.

He’d regularly had people killed in the Marbella area & Dublin area who were basically his rivals in the drug trade but when he went after the Hutches he took it to another level.

After killing the first Hutch - a brother of leader Gerry pictures of the funeral were all over the Irish newspapers & the Kinahan’s decided to go after every male either in or close to the Hutch family. About half of the ones killed had no involvement in drug dealing or any attacks on Kinahan but they killed them anyway. They even killed a homeless man by accident as he was dressed similar to a Hutch family member on the day.

But worst of all happened in Majorca. One of the Hutches was away on holiday with his family & someone connected to the Kinahan’s had seen him so it was arranged he’d be killed. So they shot him in broad daylight in front of his Mrs & kids in the street, only it turned out they killed a completely innocent man who was also Irish called Trevor O’Neill in another case of mistaken identity.

The murder that was shown on panorama where a man was chased through a bar in the middle of the day & shot dead was the dad of boxer Jamie Kavanagh who was actually signed to Kinahan / MTK. He then had his uncle bumped off a few months later as well.

The big mistake he made was letting the Hutch saga get personal & they got sloppy trying to retaliate quickly using people who didn’t know what they were doing & most of his foot soldiers are now in jail in Ireland. I think it’s only a matter of time before he gets arrested & ends up facing justice in Ireland.

As for Barry McGuigan he is brave & a lot of people are mistaken that he’s only doing it because they’ve nicked his fighters. He’s been talking about them for years. Because of the Kinahan’s professional boxing is currently banned in Ireland & he’s been outspoken about that.

Did Barry do the dirty on Frampton? Quite possibly but that’s an every day thing in boxing. Show me a promoter that’s not been sued. Most of the MTK fighters have Warren as a promoter who’s been to court countless times over fighters claiming they’re owed money. If you aren’t happy with your promoter unfortunately you end up in court but it’s next to nothing compared to a manager who has people murdered.

Redstone and Redhelen like this.
  8. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Agree Deetee. Watched the documentary recently on the suspicious circumstances surrounding the death
    of former Light Heavy weight World Champion Freddie Mills outside his Soho nightclub in 1968.

It's never been proven, but one theory is that he tried to save his failing Club by keeping quiet about
    certain illegal activities by the US Mafia in the U.K. in exchange for a considerable amount of money.
    Mafia bosses were not convinced and that Mills would be back to extort more funds every time he
    experienced any financial difficulties, so they paid someone to bump him off.

Django likes this.
  9. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Without giving details of who have you heard of fighters not signing with them because of Kinahan? I know of one fairly local trainer who a couple of years back told at least two of his fighters not to go with them but I notice one of his most prominent fighters is now signed with MTK.

I just think it’s a ticking time bomb before someone in boxing gets killed. I used to be a huge boxing fan who would barely miss a show but this, PED’s & any old ***** been put on PPV has put me off in recent years.

10. Cro

CrossGates Red Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A lot of the lads in Ireland now are signing with other guys such as Mark Dunlop. In regards to the UK fighters it's quite unpredictable, it all depends on where a fighter is from. MTK are literally buying trainers/managers off to act as an advisor but sign over majority of their fighters to the actual stable. Sean O'hagan (Josh Warrington's dad) is the latest recruit to the MTK stable with the creation of MTK Leeds. Callum Simpson from Barnsley a young prospect is signed up to them and boxes out of that new setup now.

I know of two fighters who turned down MTK point blank and they were former title challengers at the time, one went on to win a WBA world title. However the promoters don't help themselves when realising they had too many fighters signed up on promotional and managerial contracts that MTK came in to help with the "workload" and take a lot of pressure of promoters by handling the managerial side.

Django likes this.
  11. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cheers. I’ve watched Simpson box amateur, hope he does well. I didn’t realise Warrington’s dad was involved with them.

They must pay well when I’ve seen fighters like Fielding & Murray ticking over on MTK non- TV shows rather than on Hearn’s Sky undercards.

I don’t really blame any of the fighters that don’t get picked up by Hearn or Warren for signing with MTK as I know they don’t earn a lot & they’ve every right to go for the best deal available.

I just think if you are going to go with them then just talk about the company. It’s awful hearing Fury, Saunders & a few others praising Kinahan.

12. Cro

CrossGates Red Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I understand why fighters sign with them, they have big money and convenient terms which 95% of lads will sign no bother. I do genuinely admire what MTK Global do as a "boxing entity" they do great work for fighters who have often come from previous bad management. McGuigan in my personal experience from doing pieces with his former fighters including Frampton, Taylor, Chantelle Cameron, McGregor have shocking experiences and all since moved to MTK. McGuigan just sounds very bitter but I do understand the public outcry and support of him. Just my view point of him.

13. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know who the Kinahans are, the Hutchs, The Dunnes, The Gucci Gang etc. Ireland away from the pictures of rolling countryside and Guiness is a dangerous place. Massive organised crime industry. Smack, Coke, E, Pot, Weapons, People.

They have their hands in pies everywhere. Football, racing, boxing, property you name it. YOu only had to look through the National asset management property lists to see whom owed what and to who.

the only reason Kinahan is in the news is through the exposure that boxing gets.

Which given how secretive his old man is is quite the irony.

Django likes this.
  14. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Boxing and criminal underworld have always gone hand in hand. This is a classic example from the 90s.

Redhelen likes this.
  15. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He’s a shady *******. I’ve read about Daniel Kinahan trying to fix horse races & been caught on camera doing it.

There was a fight involving an MTK fighter a while back where the odds on a specific round were very short compared to the others & it came in.

There were also a lot of rumours about Paddy Barnes stoppage defeat in a world title fight. It’s pretty easy to fix a boxing match. Who can judge how much a body shot hurts?

There’s also a lot of dodgy scorecards on MTK cards but that happens everywhere so I wouldn’t hold that against them.