[Official Site] OAKWELL - WE'RE HERE TO STAY

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Newsbot, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I heard there aren't any Seniors left. (Don't know how true). Why would Jean Cryne have passed up such a big opportunity to sell for a mint? Supposing it was only 4 years?

Redhelen likes this.
  2. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Might be standard now for tenants to repair etc but doesn’t mean it was when the lease was signed?
    I rent a commercial property and my landlord does all the repairs the only thing I’m obligated to do is put in back to the condition I was given it.

Redhelen likes this.
  3. RedfearnsRocket

RedfearnsRocket Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Great news all round our future at Oakwell sorted for the foreseeable

anstonred and Redhelen like this.
  4. only1kp

only1kp Well-Known Member

father of 3, best friends with jack daniels
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One thing that confuses me about this, admittedly it doesn't take much, is didn't Khaled urge people to buy season tickets so as to not miss out on the upcoming 'big news' ?
    I'm sure people will correct me if Ive got that wrong but I would be pretty peed off if I had bought a season ticket off the back of that announcement only to find out this was it.
    Unless they're refunding all season ticket holders as a thankyou ofc

5. RichK

RichK Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Depends on length of lease, value etc, even who the tenant is may have some bearing.

lk311 and Redhelen like this.
  6. SamBfC90

SamBfC90 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    More waffle to sell as much as possible, wonder what it’ll be this year when the early bird letters drop on our welcome mats.

ubique_tyke and Redhelen like this.
  7. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So what. It was still.in the clubs bank account but they chose to upgrade the stadium. We've always sold players but that is the only era when the ground has been improved. For instance, we made money in the fire sale when Watkins, Hourihaine, Winnall etc were sold and the Stones money came in. None of it was spent on ground improvements

Redhelen likes this.
  8. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Simon De Montforte likes this.
  9. Tur

Turbotyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If there were no Seniors left then why did one of them turn down the offer? In theory the Greatgrandchildren could still claim on the reversal of sale within 25 years and make money if football was no longer to be played at Oakwell in that time scale. As for Jean Cryne, Patrick Cryne was a very wealthy man even before floating Isoft on the stock market; various newspaper articles stated he owned a golf club in Cheshire and had L.S. Lowery original works of art on the walls of the family home. Many of the financial sections of newspapers reported at the time his share of the float off was £50M, the lowest estimate of his personal wealth that I saw was in the financial times rich list of 2004 which valued him at £30M; remember he was a clever accountant and would have distributed some of the wealth in the names of his wife and son. Unless PC left a lot of his wealth to charities, I think that Jean and James are still very wealthy and so why sell Oakwell unless it was to build a new out of town stadium where even the police safety committee could have nothing to moan about as it would be built with the latest H&S recommendations applied.

Redhelen and Stephen Dawson like this.
  10. Deafening Silence

Deafening Silence Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are you suggesting that Barnsley FC have signed up to a 30 year lease in a stadium and that the Crynes are going to build a new stadium? What would be the point? Barnsley aren’t going to pay rent at Oakwell and then play somewhere else, surely?

Skryptic and Redhelen like this.
  11. Tur

Turbotyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No I am saying if she held on to Oakwell as Stephen Dawson suggested she could have in theory after the 25 year reversal of sale had expired sold her stake in Oakwell for big money but Oakwell is now owned by the council and it will be their decision in years to come what to do with it. Jean Cryne attends every home match and probably goes to a fair few away games and IMHO just wants the best for the club, how much business acumen she has I don't know. I am hoping that with oakwell now owned by the council Conway and company sell their remaining shares to the rest of the board and disappear.

Redhelen likes this.
  12. Deafening Silence

Deafening Silence Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oh I see, misunderstood your post.
    But yes, I think we have to assume that this has been done in the best interest of the long term future of the club and has been endorsed by the current board, which would imply that they are also thinking about the long term future of the club. (and probably looking to oust Chien Lee from the board as without the ground to sell/a miracle sale of a player he’s unlikely to get a return on his original investment).

Redhelen likes this.
  13. Tur

Turbotyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No worries mate! we all want the best for our club, and to link in with my other postings I have no problems with statistical recruitment but it should be one of a number of tools to use to recruit players.

Redhelen and Deafening Silence like this.
  14. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So big refurb coming. Hmm let's see first if west stand season ticket holders get to renew for next season first....

Redhelen likes this.
  15. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Would be surprised if anything was done to the West Stand that would prevent renewals next season

Redhelen likes this.
  16. Dub-Tyke

Dub-Tyke Well-Known Member

Yeah, the ACMs will cost a bit to remove - but neither are a massive job tbf.

It’s the cost of a new stand and planning required that will cause the biggest headaches. Perhaps looking to what Fulham have done at Craven Cottage might help in regards keeping the old stands.

Redhelen likes this.
  17. Dub-Tyke

Dub-Tyke Well-Known Member

Whilst not a Millwall fan, I have always seen them as a similar club to us, due to size, money and attendances.

They did a new stadium at the time we were redeveloping - I’ve always liked The Den for the way it is symmetrical and all the stands tie in together - many of our fans have said it would be nice to see the West Stand replaced with a replica of the East Stand.

Just had a look now, and noted they submitted redevelopment plans a few years ago to increase capacity and bring the ground up to date. Got to say the plans look great - with a nod to the railways with the big columns etc.

https://constructionmanagement.co.uk/millwall-fc-plans-stadium-redevelopment/

anstonred and Redhelen like this.
  18. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    They already ousted Conway and Lee from the board, thankfully. I guess you mean sell their shares?

Redhelen likes this.
  19. DazFrumTarn

DazFrumTarn Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Free ticket for the Farley 'Jackmaster' Funk concert at Oakwell on his return to Barnsley.

20. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm definitely up for that. Special guest Marshall Jefferson doing tannoy announcements, with a hologram of Frankie Knuckles pulling pints in the concourse.