OT Craft beer..

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tekkytyke, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    But it's been given a name, to differentiate it from what you've described as processed beers. There's certainly a branding aspect to it. And it can't be denied given the swathes of independents that have sprung up the last decade (and less) that the market has boomed.

Though it is a pity to see the selling out. But sadly its what happens in the modern world, particularly in the western world.

2. Hel

Helvellyn Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Personally go for quality instead of quantity.
    I would try the local bottle shops get to know the owner see why he suggests.
    The independent brewers do really good deals.
    Also have a listen to the various podcast. There's a good one called The Ale and Audio which discusses all the local breweries. It's also aimed at the pud shed community.
    On Instagram have a look at Andy Dunn - The Dunn inn he tries and describes all different craft beers.

One last thing there's a beer festival in Sheffield on Abbeydale road centered on nine pubs each with a different local brewery.

3. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Posted this before but craft beer has an official definition.

You have to be a brewer (obviously) with certain accreditations.

You have to be small, with a certain threshold around annual production and a certain percentage of that production has to be beer (e.g. You can’t be brewing malt flavoured beverages like alcoholic ginger beer or root beer).

No more than 25% of your business can be owned or controlled (or equivalent economic interest) by a beverage alcohol industry member that is not itself a craft brewer. Basically, once you sell out to a Heineken, Molson Coors, Budweiser, Lion, Asahi, Kirin or Carlsberg, you’re out.

Chef Tyke and x11barnsley like this.
  4. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The point I was trying to get across is that the word craft was not dreamt up by a particular PR firm....it was a bit more organic than that....up until about 15-20 years or so ago every new brewer in Britain set up brewing only traditional beer, a few tried their hand at both trad and keg but then a few set up brewing high quality keg beer only, most people agreed it couldn't be called real ale or trad beer....but it was too good to be called keg, after a period of not knowing what really to call it, the word craft was borrowed from the new breed of high quality small brewers in the USA.
    As you say it is a shame when they are successful and then sell out.

x11barnsley and Loko the Tyke like this.
  5. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Correct. It was essentially a term adopted by us and Europe from the US, where brewers used the phrase ‘Craft Beer’ to distinguish from macro lager which accounted for 99% of beer volume in the country. It meant flavoursome, artisanal and not mass produced.

Anchor Brewing Co and Sierra Nevada led the way, at the time of being established being something like the 40th and 45th brewery respectively in the US (around 1980). There are now over 10,000 breweries in the US and craft beer accounts for 13% of the overall volume in America and over 25% of the value of a £100 billion beer category.

They, and others such as Brooklyn and Goose Island, were inspired by the beer scene in the UK where cask ale was different to the mainstream, but pushed the boundaries and kept the format as keg over cask. They all cite the White Horse on Parsons Green (a pub I used to run) as their favourite/most inspirational place in England to drink and Harvey’s Bitter as their beer of choice when there.

BrewDog were started based on the experience of drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in California. Craft beer was definitely not a dreamt up PR term to make it trendy, as you’ve pointed out.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    sadbrewer, x11barnsley and TitusMagee like this.
  6. x11barnsley

x11barnsley Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Brilliant guys…. I really find all those facts very interesting.

“Craft” has certainly taken off as a marketing tool but my experience has mainly been folk who must only drink craft ales because it’s the “done” thing !
    I’m sure a large percentage of aleheads ( just made that up ) haven’t a clue about all these facts but me, the lagerhead, will be able to bamboozle them.

Cheers and hic !

7. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I never said it was created by a marketing firm.

But it is a considered point of differentiation? If there were no perceived benefit in it, there would be no such thing as craft beer. What I also think is evident is that marketing firms/departments/owners has latterly lapped it up and some of the costs of branding must be astronomical now. To the point where some of the brewers are distinctly style over substance and have lost what they likely started off with the intent of being.

And you know I very much enjoy many an independent brewer. And some would never touch my lips, from a mixture of morality and quality, whatever its termed to be. It's all beer to me and my subjective taste.

8. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    DWL....I wasn't accusing you of anything...or suggesting you had said something that was wrong, I was just trying to give a helpful explanation for anyone who is interested.

Loko the Tyke likes this.
  9. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Likewise.

sadbrewer and x11barnsley like this.
  10. TbilisiTyke

TbilisiTyke Active Member

Education
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was on The Isle of Eigg a few weeks ago. A friend of mine established the Isle of Eigg brewery through crowd funding and Scottish Development Agency assistance. I am a crowdfund shareholder and had my full share of tasting it during my stay in Eigg. They are doing cans and kegs for sale on Eigg and nearby. Good stuff.

My mate also told me about ‘crafty’ ales. This are beers made to look, sound and taste like craft beers by big brewers because these big brewers are starting to fear the competition. Imitation, flattery and all that…

good little craft brew scene here in wine-dominated Georgia too… but I’ve got 8 cans of Eigg that made it all the way back with me to sup first!

11. x11barnsley

x11barnsley Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    “Crafty ales” …. the cheeky bar stewards

12. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So when Brew Dog get taken over by Heineken, will they still consider themselves to be a "craft" beer producer?

13. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Won’t ever happen. The aim is IPO and that is seriously hampered by having the company owned by someone within the same sector.