Our Fans Today

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by twillo, Mar 5, 2022.

1. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely Crap.

More bothered about telling people to sit down, throwing coins at the home end that landed at fans around me and those ‘who couldn’t cope’ and ‘had to move seats due to atmosphere’.

Never seen owt like it today.

The performance on the pitch went with the attitude off the pitch.

2. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I didn't like the atmosphere today, even in the queue to get in some idiots were nastily goading the home fans. One lad next to me was singing the King Ronnie song so I said "you're a bit young to remember The King" and he went off on a rant about me sitting and not getting up to sing. Shortly afterwards he ended up wrestling on the floor with one of his mates. They absolutely reeked of alcohol.

3. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    People slag us off for being tinpot and both the team and the fans showed that argument today. We’ve got some right tools following the side, old and young.

Casper and Sprotbrough Red like this.
  4. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've not been to the City Ground since about 2008 when our "fans" chanted "Scab" for the entire 2nd half. It wasn't great.

Redarmy87 and twillo like this.
  5. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We got there about 2, had a pint then up to our seat. Had to stand up all game so we could see but it was alright. I thought the support was pretty good for a poor game but I must have missed the bad stuff because I like to have a good moan about nobheadness but I can't today.

cudeth red, Redhelen and twillo like this.
  6. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You are definitely one of life’s positive people!!

7. She

Shepley Red Well-Known Member

Building Surveyor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Away from home it's been like that numerous times over recent years so your comments aren't a surprise. Some of the fans (I use that term loosely) who go to away games are quite frankly disgusting individuals who bring shame on the club.

Casper and Sprotbrough Red like this.
  8. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'll take that as a compliment my friend thankyou

9. Redarmy87

Redarmy87 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some proper idiots. Only time I went to city ground I remember a Forest fan sat on his own with his very young son close to the away fans, and the mass chant of scab aimed in his direction. The bloke shielded his kid, either out of embarrassment or just trying to focus on the game. Either way, I found it very sad that in 2017 young lads who weren't even born in that era were chanting it with venom in his direction, without knowing his circumstances I.e. was he an ex-miner who went over the picket line? Even if he did, would those lads really understand when they weren't born then? If you are a Forest fan do you deserve to be called it by association?

I remember going to Mansfield back in the day (2001?) and my 14 year old pals chanting it. It never sat right with me, being born in 1987. My grandad worked down the mine all his life. He told me about Thatcher, I am well aware of the impact on our town. Do I feel the need to chant 'scab' at every Mansfield and Forest fan today? No. Did I feel I had the authority to do that as a 14 year old 16 years after the end of the miners strike? Not really. Will I ever forget the evil that Thatcher directed towards our communities, causing poverty and widespread pain? Absolutely not.

churtonred, Jamo and Brush like this.
  10. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

We banned a load after huddersfield but were never short of fans causing bother on away days

11. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My dad worked at Hickleton then Highgate pits his entire working life apart from a couple of years in the RAF during the war. Thankfully he retired in 1980 so didn't suffer in 84/5. He hated the Tories and Thatcher but he never let it make him bitter. Maybe his early retirement at 60 saved him from that. Ironically I was working as a software developer for the NCB then British Coal from 1984 to 1990 here in South Derbyshire and knew a local NUM official who was treated like excrement by the other blokes round here. I could understand some of the older guys bearing a grudge against the scabs but like you say it's a bit strange coming from lads who weren't born 20 years after the strike....

Redarmy87 likes this.
  12. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Totally agree with you about a serious accusation as it’s years ago and these days irrelevant .
    However as a chant it’s not up there with Liverpool's aeroplane chants or Man Utd’s Hillsborough chants of even whoever’s chants about Leeds in Turkey, these are the chants I find disrespectful and abhorrent alongside the red suspenders etc ,
    Fair enough the actual event was traumatic to live through as I was part of that but come on as a chant it ain’t half as abhorrent as some and imo if one person takes offence because of their actions upon it sll the better imo .

cudeth red likes this.
  13. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair point mate. Still makes it an unpleasant way to spend my time

14. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Fair enough but it was reciprocated especially forest fans by you’ll never work again meaning the pits are gone so it’s not all one way .

cudeth red likes this.
  15. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nothing where we were sat either. A few chants of " we're going down with the Derby" was the height of it. A lot of home supporters were stood but any away fans near where we were were told to sit down by the stewards. Must admit i hoped to have more to get behind from the players, but it was a poor effort and squeezed into the corner I doubt the players really heard much from our support!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
  16. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Someone's autocorrect is working overtime

17. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cops/stewards should be more pro active at getting idiots ejected from the ground.

Nobody should be standing up blocking the views who want to sit down or are too small to see stood themselves. That's been a problem for years but as a club we've never done a thing to try and do something about it.

Would it be so difficult to make our eticketing website for away games so you can pick your seat like for home games? That way I am sure those who buy towards the back would expect standers and those who buy near the front can expect to see sat down.

18. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Also, "you'll never work again" is factually incorrect as I work in construction and have only had a total of 2 weeks out of work. When the job finishes, I simply find another one.

19. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    It is incorrect , it’s a chant to get under our skins as is scab vice Versa ,
    In the day it was meaningful nowadays it’s an harmless chant with a twist .
    The chants of Vile and twisted from some examples I’ve given are miles away .
    Imo some are queuing up to be insulted as far as vile chants go .

20. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Wasn't too bad where we were. Had to stand up throughout but, although I'd prefer to sit, it doesn't bother us too much. Thought at the start everyone was reasonably buoyant and singing 'team backing' songs but by about 20 minutes in that had evaporated in light of the ultra-cautious, defensive set-up and inept display.

It may have been different in other areas and part of that problem is clearly people not sitting in their allocated seats. Some of the 'urchins' that eventually ended up on the back row were sat in our seats when we got in and gave it the "it's sit anywhere mate" (which it clearly wasn't) line. Now, fairly easy for 5 of us 'chunky' blokes to shift them but perhaps less so for others.

Always a bit of a 'downer' for me too when we come out not wearing red when there's absolutely no reason whatsoever for it - same at Coventry and other places and the club really needs to sort this imho.

The other observation is the amount of vapers that ended up surreptitiously puffing away round us. I've never smoked in my life but got a lungful of all sorts of exotic flavours for my sins yesterday!

Lastly, by far the worst behaviour I experienced yesterday was on the train from Derby to Sheffield with a carriage half-occupied by very drunk and aggressive Leeds 'lovely people' who must have had hours in the Leicester pubs after their lunchtime game and clearly couldn't take it.

Hooky feller, RedKen-dal and Redhelen like this.