Owners - what do you want from them?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by RedVesp, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Red

RedVesp Guest

Before I start, I just want to reiterate my position, I want the entire board gone, asap, providing there is a viable alternative ready to take over.

But, for the time being we're stuck with what we're stuck with.

So, if you had a 1-2-1 sit-down with the board and they were genuinely prepared to listen, what would you ask of them?

For the purposes of this question "just fu cking leave" is not an acceptable answer!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2022
    TonyTyke, Kettlewell and Gally like this.
  2. Redarmy87

Redarmy87 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

3. KFC

KFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Make some decisions with the aim of winning football matches.

4. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Build some bridges with the fan base.

Settle their differences / bills with the 20% who it’s pretty clear they owe money.

commit to either funding the construction of a new stadium or renovating Oakwell. Confirm that we will kid be attempting any ground share agreements.

5. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    To treat the players, and the fans like they treat their flatbreads.

That is, make it an attractive offering, and if it costs you a little more to produce, so be it. Folk will buy the product

Kettlewell, Connor and Jamo like this.
  6. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    1) Confirmation that Paul Conway will stop speaking to clubs within our vicinity about ground sharing, alongside a commitment to our long term future being at Oakwell
    2) A full and detailed explanation around the £750k payment and potential future payments of a similar ilk. We might not like the answer but at least then we can all make our own choices in terms of investing our money in to the club
    3) Commitment to work closer with the Supporters' Trust on supporter focused initiatives e.g. vouchers, season ticket packages, etc.
    4) Something around recruitment and 'the plan'. Not sure how to word it as you can't really hold them to account, and you can't just demand they sign a certain type of player, but something around our failed recruitment strategy in terms of leadership alongside questions about Paul Conway's role as acting CEO

Obviously loads more you could go at but this feels like a condensed version of priorities.

7. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Flatbreads to Khaled is what 'Bomb Alley' and 'Divisional Retention' was to Lee Johnson and Dane Murphy.

He spoke for two and a half hours on the Q&A and mentioned flatbreads twice - once as a direct response to the match day experience and also when he dropped it in earlier in relation to something else. The way it's repeated you'd think he batted off all the questions and said 'But what about flatbreads' :D

anstonred and Kettlewell like this.
  8. ronnieGlavinsB@stardSon

ronnieGlavinsB@stardSon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I agree with the sentiment of your post - if not the detail - as I don't know how anyone can derive an outcome before being able to articulate the question - what, as supporters of Barnsley football club - do we need or require from the owners?

It's not a simple question and it will different for each supporter but I believe you could articulate and document a general consensus that - could potentially - be used to measure and ultimately judge the owners to see if they are meeting the expectations of the fans.

For reference - though not to judge - I would expect this question to be at the forefront of the mobilisation of any fan pressure group.

RedVesp and Loko the Tyke like this.
  9. Harry Hough

Harry Hough Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just tell us what your objectives are and how you hope (intend) to achieve them!

Stephen Dawson and Kettlewell like this.
  10. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Just setting himself up for a falafal.

11. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I want owners who understand their limitations regarding football-related decisions. I want them to step back, appoint a capable CEO, then let them get on with it - one who will fully pick up the reins re: other club appointments and who will steer the club to stability, sustainability, an enjoyable matchday experience, and hopefully some on-pitch entertainment.
    I understand that owners are business people and want to generate money for themselves. I'm not averse to owners taking a little off the top, provided it's done as a shareholder dividend, with full transparency.
    I want owners who prioritize the wellbeing of the club, the supporters, and the wider community over making a killing.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  12. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I want them to back up their original promise of not staying if they are not wanted & officially put the club up for sale .

13. bfc

bfcjeff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    1, can you leave ASAP
    2, if you have to stay because no one else's interested in buying for now can you educate yourselves in English football and barnsley culture and bfc.
    3, will you admit your not football successful and have no idea what your doing and just turn players over for personal money gains.
    4, how come your all very good at hide and seek.
    5, Paul?, Paul?, Paul?, oh fekinhell he's gone again sorry can't ask any more questions. We're not worthy.
    6, has anybody put a bid in yet.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  14. Bet

Better_Red_Than_Dead Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wish people would lay off the flatbreads, they’re the best thing I’ve eaten at Oakwell in 30-odd years of attending. They’re even better than those fish and chips crisps you used to be able to buy from the guy who trundled a snack trolley around the touchline in the 80s.

In all seriousness though, I’d ask them to tweak their transfer policy. At the minute it’s far too scattergun and they seem to think that if a young player plays a number of games at this level then they’ll automatically be worth millions, completely losing sight of the fact that clubs and managers will do their homework and will be much less interested in a player that hasn’t scored all season/has conceded 200 goals/has been part of one of the worst ever championship points tallies. It’s also harming our reputation as a place for young players to come to (which might be one of the reasons we have t signed anybody in this window so far).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  15. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Full clarity on where the funds to purchase the club are being taken from.

I have no issue with any owner who wants to run the club within its means a self sufficient business. I'll accept failure on the pitch as consequence of this.
    I take issue with this being given as the model then using the clubs funds to pay for the purchase of the club. It may be legal, but it's not something I'm willing to support with my own money.

16. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Detailed clarification on the 750k and where future money will be coming from to buy the club etc. Then i can decide if i will be calling it a day untill there gone.

Reasons as to why they keep approaching other clubs to ground share some not even in the same county. And can they commit to oakwell?

Can they stop been so rigid and scattergun with the recruitmenr policy as it just isnt working.

They would be my 3 main ones.

Connor likes this.
  17. NathanBFC94

NathanBFC94 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would ask them to stop treating player/manager as an asset and mix youth with some experience to allow the youth to thrive and become the best asset it can be. Rather than just signing only young players and young inexperienced managers with the idea of flipping these at the first moment.

Connor likes this.
  18. Shy Talk

Shy Talk Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If theyre picking the team I want them to STOP and leave the football operation in the hands of football people.
    It seems to me we've become a Conway vanity project and its blindingly obvious he hasn't a clue what he's doing.

19. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    There are plenty of things I would ask, but frankly, it's pointless. They bought us for a reason. They bought the others for a reason. They acted as they did at Nice for a reason. And the actions they've taken here are for a reason too.

After 4 years of hide and spin, all we'll hear are versions according to the wants of Conway. If he told me today was Monday I'd have to triple check.

20. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's a bit contradictory though, because if they built a new stadium, a lot of us would never set foot in it so they wouldn't be building bridges with the fan base.