Regarding Sam Winnall and Our Budget

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by tomaiba, Jan 13, 2017.

1. tomaiba

tomaiba Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we supposedly have "millions in the bank" as I've seen quite a few people say, why did we sell Sam in such a hurry?
    I'm not hostile about him going to Wednesday, I think he did excellent for us and it was a good opportunity for him. However, weren't Leeds rumoured to have offered a million for him when we were in League one?

Surely if we had any kind of budget we could've replaced him whilst letting other clubs have a bidding war amongst themselves.
    It kind of seems like we're broke and sold him to first club that showed interest. Replaceable or not, we probably could've got more or at least waited it out a little longer.

Maybe I'm looking too much into it, maybe we just didn't care about letting him go? Or maybe he just REALLY wanted to go Wednesday and we wanted to at least get a bit of money from them before he'd go for free in the summer?

I don't know, anyway just my two cents here, but I will always appreciate what he's done for us, probably wouldn't be here in the Championship without him. Best of luck Super Sam.

EDIT: This is just going off the rumour that was around 500k plus a sell on clause, I think we could've got more than that.