Sheffield FA cancel grassroots football

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by only1kp, Mar 14, 2021.

1. only1kp

only1kp Well-Known Member

father of 3, best friends with jack daniels
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My lads manager has text messaged all the parents this morning to inform us that the sheffield fa have cancelled the league season, but have decided to arrange a cup competition involving the teams from the league that they are in.
    If there were 20 games of the season to play then fair enough but it was already a shortened 10 game season due to the late start and they were already over half way through it.
    Am i missing something ? Surely you would just finish the league

Mr C and Redhelen like this.
  2. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Donny and Selby have scraped theirs too. My lad can only play in his Barnsley team now.

3. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Shame. Wendy were eyeing up their opponents for next season.

Stephen Dawson, Runner, Brush and 2 others like this.
  4. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's what the club's themselves proposed and voted on

5. only1kp

only1kp Well-Known Member

father of 3, best friends with jack daniels
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not quite true. The sheffield fa put proposals to the clubs which were voted on. While not unanimous the majority did win.
    Unfortunately the number of teams not doing so well far outnumbered the teams that were .
    Take for instance my lads league. His team and one other in the league both had 100% records and were due to meet next game for what would probably be a title decider. Both teams voted to carry on. The other 8 in the league voted against

6. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My daughter’s team had the same. Think it’s the best solution, but not looking forward to playing a certain team again.

Plankton Pete likes this.
  7. Rdo

Rdo1104 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hi. I’m Secretary for one of the Junior Clubs in Barnsley and have been involved in the discussions with the Junior League. There were a few scenarios put forwards and IMO they have come up with the most appropriate solution although I appreciate it wont be to everyone’s liking.

The main issues they have is that, apart from the ongoing Covid considerations there are a large number of clubs who lose their pitches in May as priority is given over to summer sports, coupled with there only being probably 6 to 8 Sundays at best and also cup competitions to finish they’ve decided to cancel the competitive games for U12 and older.

Although they had only scheduled a smaller number of games initially, on average most teams have only played 2 or 3 competitive games before lockdown so it’s highly unlikely they’d get through another 8 games to complete the half season.

My personal view is that it;s just great to be able to get back to some football.

It’s also worth noting that more than 25% of clubs which voted said they did not want any football.

I hope your kids enjoy getting back to it, We’ve over 200 chomping at the bit

8. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm coach of a ladies open age team. Due to T&T incorrectly informing our whole team and managers to self isolate in October and regional limitations on travel, we played 2 of 18 fixtures. We would have had to play 3 games a week to finish the season by June.

As @Rdo1104 says, all teams contributed to discussions. There will be grass roots football from April.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    Rdo1104 likes this.
  9. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you honestly think that teams not 'doing well' voted to scrap the league for that purpose? Are those teams going to rip up the new format? Seriously, it's amateur football have a word with yourself.

Rdo1104 likes this.