Spectemur Agendo - 'let us be judged by our acts'

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Redarmy87, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Redarmy87

Redarmy87 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Spectemur agendo. Two words that strike at the heart of every Barnsley fan. An ever-present on the club badge and on the town's coat of arts. Tellingly, expeditiously, it made it's way into Neerav Parekh's open letter to fans after the reconstitution of the Club’s board of directors was announced, when Parekh stated: 'I want to assure you that the Club will do everything it can at all levels to improve. As a board, we will live by our Latin motto. Spectemur Agendo. Let us be judged by our acts.' Barnsley fans do not suffer fools. We want to see action rather than words. I personally took Parekh at his word with the feeling that he better now deliver, along with the rest of the board. A clean slate, but also a real need for change and enough with words.

I wanted to write this post to recognise what I see as small but significant changes filtering through the club. We have already seen the following: extension to the early bird season ticket offer; a cash injection by the board and an openness about the need for this and its value (nothing 'undisclosed'); an opportunity for a select number of season ticket holders to watch the friendly against Crewe, a chance to watch the team train, free tickets for ST holders for the friendlies against Sheffield United and Nottingham Forest, and a BBQ ahead of the friendly at Worksop. The club has also started the 'Giveback' scheme this summer, whereby Barnsley FC has pledged to donate thousands of pounds to local grass-root clubs. It has also refunded some supporters part of their season ticket price to commemorate our 135-year anniversary. It has also teamed up with a local foodbank and has started the official Barnsley FC podcast. It also launched the Junior Fan Engagement Panel, along with content invites to social media streams, and three players have helped out at a local club (Athersley Rec). On the playing side, we have made four additions (who will also be judged by their acts!), and I am under no illusions that we will lose a fair few (Morris, Helik and Styles and possibly Collins, Brittain and Anderson) who will need to be replaced appropriately - particularly Morris and of course Woodrow. We have also selected a Head Coach who by all accounts seems switched on, highly competent, and an overall great addition to the club. It will be a testing season, a season of transition, and hopefully a season of positive change.

I am sure there are more examples to the ones I have given above, but credit where it's due. These are all acts that we can judge the club by, and they are all positive ones so far. There seems to me to be a renewed effort to bridge the gap between fan and club and heal some of the deep wounds of last year. The comms seem to be better, the initiatives are positive and engaging and it feels like we have some heart back in the club. I'm not on social media, but it's nice to also see examples of Julie Anne Quay engaging with the fanbase too, with humour and honesty rather than empty platitudes.

It is worth pointing out that I'm not on the payroll and I'm not getting a backhander with this post. I'm also not a season ticket holder so I'm not benefitting from any of the above ST-related benefits, I just wanted to highlight those benefits that have been offered as it's easy to forget sometimes. I have also been guilty of my own negativity and pessimism last season, but I see this season as a new start and a new opportunity.

So, a cautiously optimistic pat on the back to all at BFC since the changes over the summer, and a 'thank you' for the above changes we have already seen. It feels like we have been drowning in negativity, frustration and sadness - completely understandably - as a club and a fanbase over the last 12 months. It feels like the tide may be turning; we can already see some of those improvements that Neerav hinted at in his open letter to fans coming to fruition. I hope it continues. Spectemur Agendo.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  2. ed1

ed12j8w Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Couldn’t agree with this more. The efforts from the club have been great. Fans need to remember we’re pressing the reset button and that takes time. Promotion isn’t a given and players will be sold with little money to reinvest. But the club are finally understanding what the supports want to see.

Connor likes this.
  3. Hig

Higgy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Judge us by our actions.

You talk about Neerav Perekh and what he said but since then I have been a little bit disappointed. My patience will only last so long. I think the signings so far have been poor. The squad looks awful now.

Austiniho likes this.
  4. ed1

ed12j8w Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    With all due respect what did you expect? Neerav, Khaled and Duff have all said this is a rebuild and not to have high expectations. We have to offset an 8million loss. Which means selling players and signing free agents or cheap players. With those restrictions I think we’ve done pretty well. More importantly our clubs is engaging with fans again and following a model which has served us well in the past.

gladius111 and Bazza like this.
  5. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And all the goodwill will disappear in a cloud of smoke if we are bottom of the league after 10 games.

Their bread and butter is on the pitch. That HAS to be the priority.and whilst I've been pleased to see such actions off the pitch, the ones which grate amongst the fan base haven't yet been touched (or talked about). Even the bloody kits.

The queues, the appalling offering from the kiosks etc. The actual fan experience beyond the tent outside etc. The parking issues etc etc.

As been mentioned that should we be flying out the traps many won't be mentioned.

But let's not say "judge us by our acts" has already passed. It's a long way to go yet. A very long way.

And I say this as someone who is pleased with the renewed make up of the board.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  6. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

I think this should have been in the make me laugh thread.

7. Hig

Higgy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The expectation within the team is one thing. Mads Anderson can't shout it loud enough.

8. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Let us be judged by our points

9. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s early days isn’t it? Squad Is threadbare. Ground is falling to bits. We are skint. The owners are still involved in a court case against each other.

The noises coming out of the club are better and the community initiatives can only be applauded.

Hopefully we manage a couple of clever signings. We need more goals throughout the team or we will struggle.

Still as always onwards and upwards.

10. arp

arpete Well-Known Member

educating the masses
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I just hope we get off to a good start in this league because at the end of the day it's performances and results that count to the fans. All the good will that has been built up recently will but sorely tested. That's football I'm afraid.

11. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What are you going to do when your patience runs out?

12. Tyke The Tree-Frog

Tyke The Tree-Frog Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How can you be disappointed? I can almost guarantee out of the new signings, you'll never have watched Searle, Cundy a couple of times at most, never even heard of McCarthy and havent seen Connell since his Bolton days - of which they rave about him. McCarthy came in with great applause from people who have consistently watched him. Cundy performed well enough that majority of Bristol city fans wanted him to stay - not to mention how early we got them all in, and how long we still have left to make additions. It's very hard to understand you at times Hemsy, sometimes I think you come across as legit, but majority I think you're just a big wind up. Shame really.

13. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For me now, its finally sinking in what a bad position we're in financially, as we sell off one player after another for disappointingly low fees.
    Its going to be a long process to get ourselves back to being stable again, and our patience is going to be tested on and off the pitch.
    As a result, I think I will be happier with a mid table season, more than I would normally because mid table is usually looked at as disappointing.

Bazza and Farnham_Red like this.
  14. DazFrumTarn

DazFrumTarn Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Same major shareholders though above the board. They who shall not be known.

15. Tyke The Tree-Frog

Tyke The Tree-Frog Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm saddened we lost them, but I don't think the fees were at all disappointing, I think they were probably fair for all parties. Definite shame we've lost them, especially Morris in my opinion

16. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah maybe, but both to Luton of all teams.
    At this rate, Morris and Woodrow will be sick of each other before the season ends. :rolleyes:

17. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the appointment of Duff has been the highlight. Everybody wanted an English manager with experience of the league, they made it known early he was on the list and got it done. I didn't even mind that it took a while, they clearly identified their approach and then were able to sell their vision to the chosen candidate.

18. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No matter how often the actual position of the club and the fragility of our position within a subdued transfer market the moment is explained on here some people refuse to allow it to penetrate their brains.

19. Com

Come on Tarn Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who would you have signed? bearing in mind the £7-8million loss in revenue.Don’t cop out,name names Hemsy(the font of all football knowledge)

20. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I'm guessing there haven't been enough City/United/Liverpool/Chelsea castoffs signed. :D

Tyke The Tree-Frog and SuperTyke like this.