The telling thing about the 80% mob

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by stairfoot.red, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly!

Farnham_Red likes this.
  2. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    "They can improve the club so that it becomes a more attractive investment opportunity for another party, or they can become such an unpopular owner that someone stumps up a premium just to get rid of them."

As with most things, I agree with you.
    However, whilst I understand your logic re the latter option, I can't understand why they would actively pursue it. It doesn't make business sense in our case as I can't see that there is anyone to stump up a premium just to get rid of them;........unless, of course, the rumour re James C and Prakeesh (?) are correct.

3. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    apologies.....neerav parekh.

4. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Community buyout. All we need are 10,000 fans willing to stump up £730 each and we can buy out the 80%ers. They disappear into the sunset with a million profit, the Cryne debt is paid off, the club continues with a sustainable model.

Never gonna happen, but nice to dream...

55&counting likes this.
  5. She

Sheriff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What makes you think the court case is about the source of the payment to them? As far as I'm aware, it's been brought due to the non-payment of the other instalments due to them (£1.5m from memory).

Genuine question, and it could be something I've missed along the way.

Going back to the original questions from others regarding the legality of the £750k payment, it's not illegal for this to have been made. However, as I pointed out on the other thread, it's clearly detrimental to Barnsley Football Club Limited. For those who are directors of this entity only, and not that of the Hong Kong investment company, then it does raise questions as to their conduct in allowing it to take place.

6. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Or 2,500 fans with £3k each or even 1,000 fans with £7.5k each.

That’s 1,000 of us sticking it on a credit card and then using the club to pay the minimum payment each month…..

ScubaTyke and Old Goat like this.
  7. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If it was simply that the Crynes had not been paid what is due, they would not need a judge because there is no legal issue. It would simply be a case of enforcement of the payment, which does not need any legal opinion.

ScubaTyke and Sheriff like this.
  8. Dav

DavidCurriesMullet Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Simple and basic rule of football club ownership. If you're outside of the Premier League and not in receipt of parachute payments. Then you don't get into football to make money. Unfortunately you'll need to get creative with your own money to subsidise the income. You won't win any medals or get a knighthood, it's just the truth.
    The Cryne's put their own money, they made us all aware of this. However they knew what was required to stay competitive.
    The current owners also should have known this reality.
    Only way to avoid this reality is to move to a proper salary cap, like in US sports.

Cowboy and Redhelen like this.
  9. She

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They'd still need to win a judgement of some kind to enforce the debt and this one, on the face of it, meets the criteria for requiring the high court.

"The High Court is most likely to be used by creditors for claims over £100,000 for debts not regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

The creditor has to show why the case should be heard in the High Court, for example because:

• it is for a large amount and there is a significant dispute;
    • the case is complex; or
    • the result could be very important to the public."
    Personally, I think the High Court action is purely in regard to the unpaid debt. From a legal standpoint, I'm not sure that anything can be done about the source of the payment already made unless it was as part of an action by an appointed insolvency practitioner who would have the power to reverse preference payments made prior to a company being formally declared insolvent.

Redhelen likes this.
  10. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We haven’t seen anything reported that says the Cryne’s are taking legal action over payments to them coming from Barnsley FC. Or have we?

The legal proceedings were filed based on monies owed. The £750k was then meant to be a sign that things were progressing on that front.

If I’m wrong please share what I’ve missed. But I’ve been watching threads like these over the last week scratching my head thinking that’s not what we know and is more an assumption?

Asking not telling by the way.

Archerfield likes this.
  11. Arc

Archerfield Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    @Loko the Tyke I agree with your view and this is reinforced by the statement in Oakwell Holdings accounts.

12. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Perhaps I have put 2 and 2 together and arrived at 5. I have been so convinced that this payment of £750k is wrong that I have jumped to the wrong conclusion. As they say, time will tell.

Redhelen likes this.
  13. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The accounts hadn’t been filed when news of legal proceedings first surfaced. The message at the time, although limited, was all about the owners renegading on the additional money owed that was based on the club winning promotion back to League One.

That doesn’t mean the Cryne’s weren’t aware money had been paid to them from the club accounts, but it is definitely only an issue being discussed on the BBS. There’s nothing written down anywhere from either party that links the legal proceedings to £750k

Edit: Written down for the public to see

14. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I cannot believe that the Cryne family would ever believe that Barnsley Football Club Ltd would ever be in a position to pay them £3.5m from its own funds, without prejudicing either its future, or its ability to fund the purchase of replacement players. I therefore assumed that they would expect the 80%ers to fund the additional payment. If that is not true, then I have doubts about the Cryne family as well as the 80%ers.

Redhelen likes this.
  15. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m far from skilled or knowledgable in this area, which is why I tend to watch these threads with great interest from people who are.

But it feels like on this one you’ve merged two separate issues and jumped to many a conclusion. Nothing wrong with that, but it’s an example of how something written on the Internet can get assumed as fact or based on public knowledge when in fact it isn’t. Again, happy for someone to direct me in the direction of more info though.

Even in this reply you’re making assumptions about the Cryne family. They’ve filed legal proceedings because they were owed additional money for the club, providing it got back to the Championship. Which makes sense when you buy a club where relegation looks likely - here’s the price, but if we stay up or come back within a year here’s another price. What else is an issue God only knows, but I can’t imagine they’re happy having that money paid from a company they own 20% of, but realistically what can they do about that?

16. She

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I doubt they have/had any control over the source of the payment, regardless of their views of it. They will have little control over the day to day transactional accounting so may not have even been aware of it until well after the event.

Similarly, in possible defence of the UK directors, the transaction could have originally been made with the intention of being a loan to the investment company, with the expectation of repayment from them. It is the write off of this debt which is the truly contentious matter, and that might simply have been a case of the majority shareholders being able to enforce it via weight of votes.

17. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Surely it comes down to whose name is on the contract to buy the club?
    Ie BFC will buy 80% for X or Holdings will buy 80% for X.

Redhelen likes this.
  18. She

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The fundamental issue is that the purchaser isn't the entity that made this £750k payment. There simply isn't any justification for it from the perspective of Barnsley Football Club Limited, which is the entity that was subject to the purchase agreement, and also the one now paying the cost of it.

19. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair comment.

20. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What was the Reds reserved plus lie?.... genuine question because I havent heard it before.