Trouble at Coventry Sunderland game

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by bfc1001, Apr 14, 2019.

1. bfc

bfc1001 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  2. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    not really, it’s more the fact there’s bad blood between the two clubs over Jimmy Hill cheating about 87 years ago.

The Marras were planning to deface the jimmy hill statue outside the ground before the reverse fixture amongst many purile gestures.

In fact, if you get bored there’s loads of YouTube videos of fat northerners shouting abuse at the statue.

Police had to intervene and stop a riot before that game and stand guard to prevent any thing serious occurring.

It kicked off after the game as well as you can imagine most of Coventry was enraged.

**** em.

3. bfc

bfc1001 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair enough . Scrapping over Jimmy hill , you could nt make it up sometimes.......

wakeyred likes this.
  4. Bak

Baka Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Scrapping over Jimmy Hill? I bet someone got chinned.

5. Spe

Spender Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If anyone's interested below is the account of what occurred. It was before I started to going to the games but it lived long in the memory especially when every Saturday night Jimmy Hill was on our screens on MOTD giving his opinions on many things including fair play.

Football supporters have long memories but it should all now be consigned to the past but it still lives on fuelled by recent events including Saturdays violence.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/roke...ur-fans-hate-him-and-should-we-still-be-angry

bfc1001, Redstone and Connor like this.
  6. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry but Sunderland had their destiny in their own hands. It shouldn't have mattered when they kicked off. They just needed not to lose. They mucked that up but chose to blame another team. Pretty pathetic to still.be going on about it.

7. Spe

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't get me wrong we lost and if the other game had finished as it did around the same time then fair dos, that's the way the cookie crumbles, we know relegation well and can take it.

The situation was another chairman deliberately delayed a kick off and then ensured the result was broadcast to the entire stadium hence a practice match for the last 10 minutes.

Coventry were found guilty after an FA investigation, I think today they would have been fined, relegated or given a points deduction to ensure relegation.

If you can honestly imagine yourself being on the receiving end of something like that and blame yourself then you are very unique among the football following fraternity.

8. Redhelen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Point still stands that delayed kick off or not they didn't cost Sunderland.

9. Redhelen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All this time on though, time to put it behind you.

And actually Sunderland being the masters of having extra time added on I would expect it could benefit them come the end of this season!

10. Spe

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The FA thought otherwise but you crack on.

11. Spe

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is a long time ago, and reading my original post that is exactly what I have said. I just wanted to make other aware where this has hatred has came from.

When you support your team it means everything and I know Barnsley folk are no different in that respect, I've read the conspiracy theories galore ojnhere about red cards and penalties and its great as we all get so passionate about it. A relegation can kill a club for years and that's why this has been remembered for so long especially as the person responsible was portrayed as a whiter than white bastion of the game.

12. Redhelen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why no hatred towards Bristol though? They could have gone on to get a winner. 10 minutes, that's been Sunderlands time added on for most games this season!

13. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's Huddersfield v Barnsley in 2013, albeit for much longer.

shed131 and Baka like this.
  14. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Its in living memory for a lot of fans so I can understand their wrath. You're not telling me that we wouldn't be the same. Barnsley fans still talk about how the corrupt Arsenal chairman diddled us out of a top flight place in 1918 and don't get me started on Gary Willard.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  15. Spe

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It wasn't the Bristol chairman who delayed the start of the game or made sure the result of our game was known. I agree that were also to blame, I've seen footage of the players of both teams running off the pitch arm in arm celebrating. I think also as they didn't have a high profile chairman it wasn't as much an issue compared to Hill.

Not sure how the reference to added time in our games is relevant to anything tbh???

We had 8 minutes on Saturday as the same thing happened as has occurred in the majority of games this season, opposing players waste time and lots of it. Coventry players were literally dropping to the ground unchallenged, the referee on Saturday rather than be strong and tell the players to get up, went along with it and called the Coventry trainer on every single time.

Barnsley didn't do this, you played us in the way the game should be played, no time wasting or spoiling tactics, just a proper game of football.

16. Redhelen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I take your point but BOTH teams stopped playing, just as we did for those few minutes when we played Huddersfield.

17. Redhelen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The point about extra time is that if we needed you to win and you were 8 mins behind us and a draw would do for you, then you'd probably kick the ball around for that time too once you knew our result.

18. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As Spender says, it was Jimmy Hill who ensured it happened. Incidentally, Peterbrough fans hate us for that match but I don't think Huddersfield get the same abuse.

19. Spe

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Gary Willard, is that when you got screwed over at home v Liverpool? If it is I can remember watching it and being furious at how Liverpool were blatantly favoured.

scarf and anstonred like this.
  20. Redhelen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair I'd pushed it to the back of my mind how bad it was until I watched it again this year with my children on Daydream believers.