Vallance & Whitty getting quizzed over projections

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by MDG, Nov 3, 2020.

1. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Watching this, working in statistics myself, it's no wonder the governments position keeps changing.

These 2 are terrible and are starting to get very prickly when questioned about their projections etc.

Every single answer contradicts the first...

For instance they said hospital covid admissions predicted to rise by only upto 25 % yet claiming deaths will exceed 1st wave in the same period. They were asked about the improvements in treatment that have reduced fatalities eg use of dexamethasone (20%) reduction.. They couldn't explain why deaths would be higher, Witty got visibly shaken with some questions.

Said the tier system was working and bringing down the R, but this wasn't shown in their modelling as it was only 6 weeks advance.

Vallance also said test n trace wouldn't help at this stage and hasn't around the world.

No matter how you think the government have managed the pandemic, these clowns can't be making decision making easy. Whitty even admitted to never use any trends over 6 weeks, hence all the knee jerk comments.

Were doooomed.

BFC Dave, mykie133 and Kettlewell like this.
  2. Lor

Lordtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The only clowns in all this are Boris and his moronic government. You appear to be trying to shift the blame here

3. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah we've heard enough from experts!! String 'em up!! Just let Johnson and his band of money-siphoning crooks get on with it. They'll sort it out!

4. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Give it a rest, shift the blame.. It isn't shifting any blame, it's saying that these clowns wouldn't make it easy for anyone, nothing else. If you'd listen to the select committee then you would understand rather than your throw away comment.

mykie133 and Redstone like this.
  5. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't mind hearing from experts when they understand their own data. These two clearly don't, that select committee was cringeworthy. Even made Jeremy Hunt sound almost human.

mykie133 and Redstone like this.
  6. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  7. ryc

rycalshaw Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, theres more and more scientists calling these two out to give evidence to their forecasts and numbers 'check out Mike yeadon and Carl hennagan, these guys were once tarred as conspiricy theorists, now more and more people are smelling a rat here...

BFC Dave, mykie133, Redstone and 3 others like this.
  8. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry - did you see them?

BFC Dave likes this.
  9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    You're not allowed to be educated anymore mate. If you are and you understand that what these two are saying is wrong and why it's wrong you'll simply be ridiculed. Only people on the telly have the smarts, you have to shut up and listen, any questioning is heresy.

10. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not trying to be all tin hat about it but it shocked me at how bad these two were under questioning. No clear guidance and seemingly hated being asked about the whys and wheres. Ended up with more questions if anything, the whole cross party committee looked equally as puzzled.

BFC Dave and Stephen Dawson like this.
  11. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'll believe it when I see it. Next month looks highly optimistic

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  12. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah the deaths thing was the most glaring part of it.. How can hospital admissions only increase by 25% over 6 weeks, yet deaths exceed the previous peak creating a ridiculously high mortality rate. Yet they also argue that the mortality has decreased approx 20% through improved treatments and understanding. You can't have it both ways.

13. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    TitusMagee likes this.
  14. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    It was riddled with holes. And they still won't release the modelling that the predictions are based on. This isn't the way to form government policy. It has to be more transparent and at the very least they should attempt to make the numbers add up.

15. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And they’ve also said on Saturday that the rate of increase is higher than the worst case scenario modelled.

I honestly think they are in over their heads. We’re seriously going to knowingly pursue a policy that we know will have far reaching consequences on the say-so of these two?

16. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I saw a short section of the select committee and I was far from comforted with their performances. I couldn't tell you if these people are the brightest in their particular fields, likewise the Sage make up.

I do know our government are liars, have handed literally billions to cronies and donors in plain sight without legal transparent process, have breached laws they had a hand in introducing and have handed an unelected psychopath free reign across multiple departments and bodies to carry out his own personal ideology, all while being found in contempt of parliament for failing to turn up for questioning. And so much more.

The scientists could well do better, I'm sure. And I absolutely do not envy them at all. But I do believe they are doing what they think is right and advising accordingly, even if they are wrong. I can't say the same about the government.

17. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Quite simply, they must think that the population of the UK all have the intelligence of 6 year olds (no offence to 6 year olds intended) if they think that we can't see that those statistics don't add up.

18. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On a brighter note, I've been following the developments of the recovery trials over here and in particular the research and trials around 'Monoclonal Antibodies' which sound really promising in terms of combatting Covid19 and preventing people dying from it.

Some more focused news, this time from the US who seem to have made another breakthrough in these studies. Just have a feeling the scientists are on a winner with this treatment, especially considering prior to the US team making this breakthrough, the recovery trial are already in promising human trials.. Here's hoping..

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...monoclonal-antibodies-against-SARS-CoV-2.aspx

John Peachy and Stephen Dawson like this.
  19. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bad day for the doom mongers so far - more dodgy statistics from Wittless and Vallance, widely reported from the app tracker that R rate might already be at 1 across the country and falling, huge drop in infection rate in Liverpool....

20. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The tier 3 restrictions that some people didnt want are working, I'm sure we can all agree that's a good result. Anyhow...

Personally I want NHS staff to be able to treat people who are ill, Covid or otherwise. What nobody wants are increases in Covid leading to operations being cancelled which is what's happening with some non emergency ones.

Redhelen likes this.