Watching England or Barnsley away??

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by royston tyke, Jul 17, 2024.

1. roy

royston tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Now the dust has settled and club football is back on the horizon there is a question I’d like to ask to those who have been to watch both Barnsley and England away over the years.

Which do you prefer?

Reason I ask is that I’ve been over to Germany this year and for the first time……watched England in another country.

I didn’t think I’d enjoy it as much as I did as I’ve always been a massive fan of watching the reds away every now and then and didn’t think it could be beaten. I’ve had some cracking times watching the reds over the years and some fantastic days out.

This summer was something else (watching England) even tho the worst thing about it was watching the 90 mins of football or more. The atmosphere in and around Düsseldorf and then at the ground was something you had to be there to believe. I now understand why people do it. I’ve had the best days this summer watching the football tournament in Germany and will definitely do it again.

It might have been because…..it was a tournament….and the mixing between fans was brilliant with hardly a sniff of trouble. It was fantastic talking to people from other nations while having a beer…..and nattering about club and international football.

Then on England game day……the camaraderie was on the highest level and such a “buzz” in and around the stadium.

So to those who do this fairly regular……if you could only do one of watching the reds or England away…….which would you choose.

I’ve had some fantastic memories this summer and know I’ll never forget them. Maybe it was because it was the first time. There really are some cracking normal people out there in Europe…..just like us who love the game just as much as we do.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2024
  2. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not sure whether the two are really comparable, as watching Barnsley away is very much about the match and possibly a day out with mates / family to a new town or city. Travelling to an international tournament on the other hand is a real adventure, and something I've been lucky enough to experience 3 times. The 2018 World Cup was particularly enjoyable, as I went to several matches, England and other countries, including both Argentina and Brazil - what an experience!

As for watching England, there were a lot of nobs in Ukraine 2012, though of course I met some great people as well.

The group stages in Russia 2018 were absolutely brilliant as only a few thousand England fans had travelled, and the atmosphere around Nizhny Novgorod on game day was fantastic. By the time we got to the semi-final against Croatia, the knuckle draggers were back out in force. Fair enough we have a fair few idiots who travel to watch Barnsley, but they're a minority and I've rarely had my day spoilt by such folk. Unfortunately with England, there's enough of an unsavoury element that I've got no desire to watch us live on a regular basis.

On yer tyke and royston tyke like this.
  3. ATY

ATYKE1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    England Cricket Team away.

Hooky feller and On yer tyke like this.
  4. Wuz1964

Wuz1964 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Better crack watching England away in my opinion. Qualifiers etc.

gaz97 and On yer tyke like this.
  5. cudeth red

cudeth red Well-Known Member

van driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One of the best time’s for me watching the Reds away was the 3 friendly matches at Tenerife fantastic week

On yer tyke and Wuz1964 like this.
  6. On yer tyke

On yer tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m aware it’s a controversial one, but England away for me. Nothing like being in another country with your mates having a good laugh and several beers. It’s like a stag doo every few months. :D But, just like Barnsley away, the 90 mins of football gets in the way of a really good day.

I do hate the questions like club vs country. But this is a different spin on it and one I find interesting to see peoples views.

royston tyke and gaz97 like this.
  7. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would love to do an ashes test in Australia. Tempting but the cost would probably outweigh the experience though for me.

ATYKE1 likes this.
  8. ATY

ATYKE1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lucky enough to do Adelaide Test for a couple of days in 2017 - even though we got thrashed.
    Fabulous place and wonderful people - definitely none of the arrogance that sometimes gets portrayed.

Hooky feller likes this.
  9. cho

chop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    England trips for me are special. This might sound weird but one of the things that makes it for me is I go on my own. I have friends who I tend to meet up with on match day none of who are reds fans but I travel alone and apart from a few hours before the match do my own thing. Last weekend was fantastic. Saturday night went to a beer hall got to front of queue greeter asks how many, one I said. Asked guys behind me how many they said seven told me I was with them. There I was with 7 Bantams and they made me feel really welcome. Sunday did Berlin Wall memorial, brandenburg gate, holocaust memorial and checkpoint Charlie all billy no mates. After that met the guys I know. Had a fantastic time and look forward to my next trip. To be fair though Berlin beats a lot of places I’ve been to with the 3 lions and I do enjoy my not so frequent away days with the reds but it is special being an England fan abroad. Just a question Royston Tyke was it you I spoke to in Victors residence hotel at breakfast on match day.

10. roy

royston tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No mate that wasn’t me. I was back in the UK for the final.

Great read tho regarding your post. Enjoyed it

11. cho

chop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The guy I spoke to was from Royston so put 2+2 together and got 5.

12. Sam

SambaTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've done Barnsley away days since 2006 and England since 2018 and they are very difficult to compare. I prefer England games as each trip is a mini holiday, an adventure and often a chance to visit a country or city that I'd never think to go for a holiday. When I go with mates, there isn't anything better than combining a holiday, beers, food, exploring and having a laugh all whilst being in the context of an England match. It's brilliant. I sometimes go alone too and to be honest that's just as much fun and often more rewarding as I explore and really get about seeing things. I had both experiences in Germany this summer... a week with mates and a long weekend alone and I can honestly say I loved both. They describe it as the best hobby in the world and I agree. Dublin, Helsinki and Athens are the next three venues for England games and that provides three interesting and totally varied trips. I can't wait.
    Barnsley games are different. They're clearly less of an adventure but also a lot easier to do. You see more folk you know and the ease of a day trip with mates is always attractive. Work dictates I cannot attend many Saturday games nowadays but there's still that yearning to go when I can.

I do think that at England away games you see more of a collection of like minded folk. I'm not generalising, but the vast majority will have a few beers, really get involved in the atmosphere and it just feels you're more as one when watching the national team. I'd say at least 75% of the away following are singing and actively getting behind the team for most of the 90 mins. Everyone is wanting to make the most of it and whilst I do sense times changing, there's an old school feel about England away games that seems to be lost in club football.

royston tyke likes this.