Well

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by tyrone1, Jul 31, 2018.

1. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Its been like shelling peas

2. Jack Tatty (Formerly LouisBalfour)

Jack Tatty (Formerly LouisBalfour) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I am very well.

Can't say the same for some others however.

3. Oak

OakwellStan Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whats a well without a bucket

4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    A couple of genuine questions tyrone:-
    What was your motivation?
    What do you believe you have achieved?

5. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Honestly don't get the point in trolling, why take pleasure from trying to offend or wind people up??

If you are over the age of 18 I'd suggest you find something a bit more constructive to do with your time, because it is a tad pathetic.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  6. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Non really other than proving how over sensitive it has become on here

7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Scab is an extremely emotive word, particularly in our town. It's worse than any swear word that you can call someone. People joined together through extreme hardship with the hope of saving jobs and livelihoods for their families and their colleagues. That word was was saved for people they believed let everyone down. The rights and wrongs of that can be argued, but what cannot be argued is the severity of the word.

Scab means nothing to Luke Steele or Nottingham Forest football club, but it will mean a hell of a lot to some people who post on here, who lived through it, who suffered the deprivation.

I don't think we should ever forget what happened. I think we should forgive, I believe in forgiveness (and I'm aware some people will disagree with me about that), but not forget. Move on, but not forget.

What I don't think we should do is use words like Scab to describe a goalkeeper who is essentially one of our own, who never let us down. To use that kind of language at a footballer completely dismisses the real poverty many people lived through in our town as though it was nothing. It was something.

You said it's like shelling peas. Of course it is. It's insulting an entire generation of Barnsley people, you were bound to get a reaction. It's easy and hurtful and that's why we don't do it.

8. TitusMagee

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Looks like he's been banned... :)

9. Cod Eye

Cod Eye Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Got to agree with @Jay on this. By calling Luke Steel a "scab", you're watering down the term even more than it already is...

10. Cod Eye

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    That's a shame, isn't it? Although he has had the "Banned Idiot" tag on his profile for ages...

11. TitusMagee

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep, but if you click on profile etc. It states no longer available.

I like a bit of a wind up etc. but not if it's intended to get people's backs up. Sounds like there were quite a few funny posters in the past and it's a shame they're no longer contributing. Trolls like Tyrone though add nothing by jumping on legitimate threads such as the Luke Steele one purely to derail them.

12. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not over keen on anyone being banned, unless they get abusive. In the case of Tyrone it seems to be just childish behaviour.

Thankfully some other posters have made some very good points about both the strike, Nottingham Forest & Luke Steele & I'd rather dwell on those.

Kettlewell likes this.
  13. TitusMagee

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair he had already previously crossed the line with what he said about our owners and I find it very hard to believe he didn't know that was a racist term. I guess from the BBS owners' POV stuff like that can potentially cause them issues if it's not kept in check.

I agree with the non-abusive standpoint, though. There is the ignore button after all :)

John Peachy likes this.
  14. Cod Eye

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    My biggest issue with what Tyrone did, was the fact he derailed a thread about football. By all means, take the piss if you want and go "fishing", but do it in its own thread that won't affect those that want to discuss something.

This forum has always had piss taking, wind-ups and fishing threads, and it's what gives the place it's charm(along with some cracking posters), but when they are stunting serious threads and debates then it needs nipping in the bud...

John Peachy and TitusMagee like this.
  15. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Coal not troll.

Wath Tyke and Conan Troutman like this.
  16. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You’re being extremely disingenuous Tyrone because you weren’t trying to wind people up; I believe you posted what you really thought and then decided to back down and retract your ludicrous opinion when you saw that you were in a minority of one. Had it been a wind up you wouldn’t have taken your point to the extremes of calling two posters ‘traitors’ and using other emotive language as part of your ‘wind up’. It went way too far for it to be a bit of fun, especially considering that you are an adult.

You’ve shown your true colours re: anything and anyone that has any association with Nottingham previously and this was just another example of you being unable to separate a football club, it’s fans, players and potential players from working miners during a strike that happened over thirty years ago.

I didn’t grow up in Barnsley so I can’t claim any kind of personal experience of the strike but I know how emotive the word is, I know it is very close to the top of the list of insulting words that somebody from Barnsley can use. It shows the hatred, contempt and disgust that is felt towards the person being called it and you used it to describe one of our modern great players. Not only that but you continued to defend your point until it became indefensible (which for most others would have been instantly) at which point you call it a wind up and try to give yourself a pat on the back for being so clever and creative that you managed to fool the BBS. Unbelievable.