What's the most bizarre game you have attended or personally played in.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Donny Red, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was wondering which is the most bizarre game of football you have ever witnessed or
    personally ever played in yourself.?

Kettlewell likes this.
  2. TonyTyke

TonyTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Probably Liverpool in the prem. No need to say more.

3. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wombwell High School

Was 6-1 down at half time to some team from Sheffield/Rotherham area

Won 7-6.

Donny Red likes this.
  4. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oakwell, 3 May 1977.
    I'm saying no more, cos some folk still have nightmares about it.

5. Red

RedVesp Guest

Played a "friendly" against a team up Oxspring, two of our back line both ended up with broken bones and an ambulance ended up on the pitch to pick up our keeper who received a punctured lung.

Redhelen and Donny Red like this.
  6. Shy Talk

Shy Talk Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some time in the 60s or 70s, night game against Rochdale, Grove Street school caught fire and the smoke filled Oakwell causing the game to be paused for a while;
    or
    Crewe goalie, warming up, grabs the crossbar causing it to fall to the ground. Luckily it was wooden and the groundsman (think it might have been Rimmo) rectified it with hammer and nails;
    or
    Playing Everton in an evening cup tie on a pitch of compacted snow and lined out in blue dye.

7. dod

dodgey defence Well-Known Member

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I remember being stood on the Ponty end and not being able to see the goals at the other end because of the fog which was a weird experience, can't remember who we were playing but I seem to think it was a midweek game probably late 80s.

8. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Liverpool prem game
    Everton v Wimbledon - the game they stayed up. Everton going 2 -0 down and the ground falling silent. Some interesting goalkeeping to say the least and Dean Holdsworth missing enough chances to win 10 games

Jimmy Glass winner for Carlisle

9. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tranmere away. Lost 6-1. Literally Played em off the park. Came away totally bemused. So was their manager. John king.

Scoff, Metatarsal, Redhelen and 2 others like this.
  10. LiverpoolRed

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was at that think we had 30+ shots - they had 6 and scored six. Aldridge got 4?

11. LiverpoolRed

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Remember that - Want to say Cambridge .... but could be wrong. Was it abandoned and replayed?

Remember one game being abandoned and played again ... bought the program again which turned out to be the same one as before with a new cover added :)

12. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When I played for Warwick University, we were drawn away at Durham on the quarter finals of the cup. Unusually, the game was on a Sunday, which was never a good thing, as there would always be casualties from the night before. At our meeting point, at 8.30am, it was obvious we were a few players short. So we went round knocking on doors, dragging people out of bed. It was a sorry looking team that set off, still 2 players down, and a couple the worse for wear. I rang my sister in Barnsley and asked her if she had plans for the day. We picked her up en route and told her she was playing in midfield.
    We arrived at Durham with just the ten players. Durham were already warming up, under the supervision of a very professional looking coach. We just thought we might as well go home.

The game started, and we were immediately under pressure. Our keeper was performing heroics, Luke Steele style. One of our defenders was pretty much glued to the spot, as any movement was amplifying her hangover. We were really struggling to get out of our half. Missed opportunity after missed opportunity for Durham, and they started to get frustrated.
    Midway through the half, we ventured into their territory. The ball broke lose, and I just hit it as hard as I could. It flew in the top corner. None of us could believe we were winning. A minute later, same thing, other side of the box. 2-0. They weren't happy. They were all over us, but just couldn't score. We somehow made it to half time.

At this point most players were really tiring. It was like playing with 9 players. It was a huge pitch , and we were suffering. But we agreed to just try and hold on, "Just clear the ball as far as you can, regroup, and do it again."

And that's when the masterstroke came in. Durham's ground was near the river. There was a huge banking leading down to the river. A clearance from one of our defenders cleared the banking and nestled on the grass bank 20 feet below. And that is how we played the second half. Clearance after clearance down the banking, with a Durham player having to scramble down each time. It wasn't pretty, and not very sporting, but we'd travelled all that way, and wanted to make the Semi Finals. Durham pulled one back, but we saw it out for a very unlikely victory.

Got knocked out by Loughborough in the Semi in front of a huge home crowd, but the Durham game is the one we all talk about.

13. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oldham away - FA Cup replay, January 1996. The original date of the replay was called off due to "fog". I remember being 5 miles from the ground where there was no fog, so I proceeded to Boundary Park, to find out. There was still no fog. When the game was played the week after, it was the game of the infamous Gunner Halle "dive" in the box with no Barnsley player within 5 yards. Penalty given by the ref...

Step forward Mr George Cain

Redhelen likes this.
  14. YTB

YTBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think I'll ever forget on a Monday night staff game, five-a-side, a couple of years ago, my colleague (he's 6'5") challenging José Morais in the early minutes, proper crunched him, and seeing José do a bad somersault and end up having to limp off. Bless him.

kektyke, TitusMagee and Redhelen like this.
  15. Sparky

Sparky Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This...

Redhelen likes this.
  16. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    BFC - Liverpool in the Premier League, obviously.

Doncaster v Lincoln in the 90's when Doncaster were on their way out of the league and most of the players clearly didn't give a fck, or maybe they were just rubbish. I had a press pass with my mate who worked for the Lincolnshire Echo so I was on the edge of the pitch. Fascinating and all very surreal. This article is well worth a read.

https://www.planetfootball.com/in-d...-the-worst-season-in-football-league-history/

A professional match in the USA in the early 90's takes the biscuit for weirdness though. I wrote about it on here quite recently. Will try to find the post.

http://bbs.barnsleyfc.org.uk/thread...u-loved-bfc-or-otherwise.303514/#post-2708171

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  17. Red

Redrascal Well-Known Member

Salesman
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When we played ipswich and were 3.0 up with 5 mins to go ended up 3.3 unbelievable you couldnt make it up, for yrs after are defence seem to be bricking themselves as was the fans.i never got mi head round it.

18. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was a bit surreal that game, although believe it or not it was played in March 1996. 5 months later we embarked on our promotion to the Premier League :)

John Peachy and Redhelen like this.
  19. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Speaking of Ipswich. That game under Keith Hill live on Sky when we were close to the play offs has to be up there. 2-0 up at half time & playing some of the best stuff we’d played for years. I had a couple of people texting me saying how good we looked.

Lost 5-3. Came out of the ground not quite knowing what or how it had happened.

Jordym93 and Redhelen like this.
  20. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We've touched on it before but I still can't believe we didn't make the Play-Offs that season. The standings don't reflect the season. A bizarre season mate.

Tyke_67 likes this.