WTF is going on in the UK.....

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Tekkytyke, May 22, 2016.

1. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    First we have some poor 10 years old sent home from school allegedly for a 'Peaky blinders' haircut AKA a 'short back and sides' and now we hear of a school in Milton Keynes where they have banned the use of the staff using whistles to signal end of playtime because - and I quote -"it may make children frightened of loud noises".
    Then we have students banned from throwing their mortar boards into the air at graduation on H&S grounds. On photos they have to mimic the action and then they will photoshop the hats on afterwards. FFS

This shows that the limitations at Oakwell on the crowd size - in spite of a Safety certificate allowing a greater capacity existing _ for the playoff is not an isolated incident. The UK is really turning into a nanny state and a laughing stock if these reports are only half true !

2. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The HSE has hit back saying the banning of mortarboard throwing on health and safety grounds is one of their most popular myths and appears in their 'top 10 all-time worst health and safety excuses'.

"As far back as 2008, HSE made clear the law does not stop graduates having fun and celebrating their success in the time-honoured fashion.The chance of being injured by a flying mortar board is incredibly small and it’s over-the-top to impose an outright ban. We usually find the concern is actually about the hats being returned in good condition.” - health and safety executive quote

3. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Nowt to worry about in Italy(or Germany) so relax.

4. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Too true. The thing is, you get a different perspective on what is going on in the UK when living outside the UK and seeing how Europeans live. You also get see how UK domestic stuff gets reported not only on the BBC and UK media but also how it is reported and viewed on the continent.

It is fair to say, some of the stuff that goes on in places like Italy would have H&S apoplectic in the UK and yet... life goes on here. PC occurs, to some extent, everywhere in modern society but I think that the epicentre is increasingly the UK.

5. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Although there are some aspects of h & S that is widely exaggerated or put together by inexperienced or jobsworth legislators ,which mostly are investigated and if too far fetched are put right eventually by people involved.
    Let's not forget the vast majority of these are sensible and are put together because of usually fatal and avoidable incidents.

6. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    An excellent argument for the UK to STAY IN Europe, maybe we will learn something from the more relaxed attitude of our European friends.

Mind you I can think of one H&S issue where (at least some of) Europe has gone further than the UK; in Spain it is compulsory to wear a helmet whilst cycling on roads while it's not in the UK. Typically though, the Spanish police take a pragmatic view on it; when I've cycled over there, the police have looked at me (sans helmet) and just ignored me. Not sure what the situation would be if I was involved in an accident though.

7. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I feel like some right fun could be had using photoshop on those pictures :D

8. EastStander

EastStander Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What puzzled me with this is that the students will still have a mortar board for the ceremony...so probably still on their head whilst they mimic throwing one and that gets photoshopped!!!