Is 2016 BFCs best ever calendar year? What's yours.... ?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Cunning Stunt, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Jam

Jamo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I never got to properly experience our promotion years in 1997 or 2006, so up to now our best was the great escape in 2013, and the highest I'd ever seen us finish in a division was 11th in league one in 2015.

So 2016 is unlike anything I've ever experienced and I'm scared it's never going to be as good again! After being lucky to see us win once or twice away per season, 2016 has been incredible. Two Wembley trips as well ffs. Just wonderful.

2. Spirit Ditch

Spirit Ditch Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    People often talk about that 1981 team as if it was our best team. I'm interested why it didn't get promoted to the highest league, what were its flaws?

3. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For me, it WAS the best Barnsley team I've ever seen. Unfortunately, we didn't have a squad of quality players to cover injuries, suspensions & loss of form.

4. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Always regretted missing that night in town, we went out for a drink near Wath and got in a conversation with a Man U supporting nob who just kept saying the likes of "you've done great but you'll be down again next year blah blah.....".

5. OxR

OxRed Well-Known Member

Heady days indeed back in 1981. For the pure quality of the football, the entertainment value, the packed paddock, the massive away followings, and the general feel good factor the team brought to the whole town, I'd have to choose that as my favourite.
    Incredible to think that was 35 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Stamfordtyke

Stamfordtyke Active Member

Full time Barnsley supporter
    Stamford, Lincs. Born n dragged up in Thurnscoe
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This year`s been fantastic, however for me seeing Barnsley compete in the top flight can never be beaten. The Clarke side that took us out of the bottom rung really saw our support turn round, Glavin for me the player of all time for Barnsley.
    Promotion and two trips to Wembley were certainly special and it`s really been great being a Barnsley fan this year, certainly made the 200 mile round trip for a home game easier to do.

7. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I remember 1981 in a daze. Genius football. Texan Bars and Scaletrix. The best football I can ever remember. The atmosphere at Oakwell better than ever before or since. Massive matches against Grimsby or Rotherham that led to it with crowds we would struggle to get against Man U these days. Glavin the God moving like a shape shifter through the opposition. Banks banging them in. Big MiCK and his safety boots at the back. Ian Evans and Parker. Unstoppable. No one was better than us we had pride. Only bad luck and injury stopped us. Shame I was too young to appreciate it.

8. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes we got a lot of that preseason I was holiday in Minorca and a Leicester fan shouted across the road ' Canon fodder' when he saw our BFC shirts , I have to say he was quick on his feet but poor bowel control !!

9. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's been one of the best because it's been mainly about the football on the green stuff - not totally about marketing, who's in charge, rumours of new owners and all that *****. Hope it's a turning point away from those in the directors box being the focus.

Certainly the top 3 with 81 and 97 as others have said.

10. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I concur.

1987 should get a mention, only won 4 up to New Years day - nailed on for relegation, only lost 4 to the end of the season, can't remember much about the rest of 1987 though.

11. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ah yes - sparked off by a 4-3 win at Hull if I remember. Andy Duggan notched the winner. Shades of Cardiff last week - although I think Hull kept taking the lead.

12. YTB

YTBFC Guest

2016 gets my vote. :)

13. Sloppy Tyke

Sloppy Tyke Active Member

Id also like to give a shout to the whole year of 1981, but there have been some other really good years for us as well (covering January to December).

1990 - When we stayed up under Mel Machin and had a good first half of the following season. We missed out on the play offs in the final seconds of the final game in 90-1.

And..

1994 - When we stayed up under Viv Anderson and had a good first half of the following season under Danny Wilson. Yet again we came very close to the play offs in 94-5.

14. Gre

GreenyTyke Well-Known Member

Layabout
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Only been watching since 2003/04 so I've only seen three seasons I class as a success, 05/06, 10/11 and 15/16 (including the start to 16/17)

05/06, neither of 2005 or 2006 were good all the way through so I can't really say either of those.

10/11 (I know we didn't do anything in particular but we competed well with a very average squad, an average manager and a boring style of football. 2010 was decent compared to the last couple of years under Davey. 2011 was pretty good, we performed quite well in the last 6 months under Robbins and we had our honeymoon period under that muppet.

2015 was pretty average/poor and that leaves 2016, been fantastic this year, connected with this team more than I have any other and I think if we keep it together in Jan and next summer and add to it we could definitely give the play offs a good go next year

15. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Average for 2015? That's by far the worst calendar year I've ever seen us since I started watching them 20 years ago.

16. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    2015 was average we sacked Wilson in February? In a time what can only be described as average. Went on abit of a run under hecky and Burton. The new season we ended up finishing 2015 about 4th bottom in a pub league.

17. springvale red

springvale red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    1981 for me, Glavin, Aylott, Banks, McCarthy et al. Great times watching some great football. Enjoyed 2016 as well, 2 trips and 2 wins at Wembley.

18. Gre

GreenyTyke Well-Known Member

Layabout
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nah 2013/2014 are miles worse only the first part of 2013 redeem any of those years, 09 was pretty bad as well

19. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    2014 has to be the worst for me. The squad we assembled when relegated was totally gash the worst in my time of watching (Dawson, frimpong,break Shea, Tom. Kennedy ect ect) and then we went down stuck by Wilson so much expectation and a totall dissapointment we finished 2014 having not won away for nearly 2 months.