0 - 0 Draw

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Dr Zazlos, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No they will have a year left so if we want anything back for them we would have to get them to resign or flog them. We might just let em run down their contracts I guess.

2. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ah, right. My apologies, mate. Perhaps there are other alternatives than just selling them next year? The three lads signing another contract isn't an option, then? We're incapable of winning promotion?

3. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I guess we are capable of winning promotion though if we are saying that we are a work in progress and it will take us until the end of transfer window 3 to have a truly competitive team it's probably unfair to expect a sustained push for promotion until the end of that process.

To be honest the modern footballer is a almost a different species these days so I'd have no idea if they will sign. I would have thought Holgate would sign and he legged it. It's possible it's equally possible that they won't. Money seems to scream more loudly than regular football (and I wouldn't be the one to blame them for that)

4. Dr Zazlos

Dr Zazlos Banned Idiot

L&T Transport LGV/PCV Instructor
    As the squad stands exactly at this moment in time promotion is a pipedream and I will have a substancial wager with anyone who feels otherwise.
    With 2 or 3 quality additions then the possibility of promotion could potentially happen

5. Whi

Whitey Guest

If clubs further up the pyramid come calling with their bigger budgets and what not, I don't believe the likes of Scowen, Hourihane, Winnall et al would resist their overtures, and I wouldn't blame them for listening. I will never take issue with any of our players leaving for what they see as a step up, so long as they've done well for us of course and so long as the club receives what it believes is a fair price for BFC.

Of course, were they to sign for Leeds, Wednesday or dem blades, I reserve the right to be a lovely person about it.

6. Whi

Whitey Guest

On current form, PPG etc, we're on course for promotion. But so are 10 other clubs. :D

7. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Seems to me that listening to those demanding change every few months has got us into a hell of a predicament. Perhaps those in charge ought to start having the courage of their convictions when appointing their choice of manager/head coach and backing them when things aren't going exactly according to plan.

8. Dr Zazlos

Dr Zazlos Banned Idiot

L&T Transport LGV/PCV Instructor
    Can you enlighten me on what PPG is?

I only went to Willowgarth

9. Mat

Mateo Corbo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Although I think you make a good point, and both are sources of entertainment, I don't think football can be compared to films.
    Films often elicit greater diversity in opinions than football games. And although I personally prefer a lot of independent films I think that truth is the majority of cinema goers want to watch a blockbuster!

And yes Everton may get watched more frequently but this is mainly due to over factors such as the opposition they face (i.e. Man U, Liverpool, City, Chelsea). Furthermore, Bayern Munich's game's in the champions league exceed any of Everton's viewing figures.

Furthermore, I'm not denying that fact that some non league games are entertaining and some premier league games aren't, but the main topic of this thread was comparing our style of play to Arsenal's and Liverpool's. And I find it baffling that people seem to think that the quality of player doesn't effect the quality of play, which in turn influences the level of entertainment for those who like watching good football.

Finally, although marketing does clearly play a role, are you really telling me that if non-league football was pushed as heavily as premier league football then viewing figures would be similar? I don't and I think the reason for that is it is mainly dross.

10. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Couldn't have put it any better. But what do we know?

11. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can't disagree with too much of that to be fair and expecting us to be able to emulate the standard of play of Liverpool or Arsenal is a bit daft. At the same time we should be able to play in the way Swindon or Rochdale do. Both teams with smaller budgets who manage to play entertaining attacking football (and gain results).

12. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When was the last season when our squad on 25th August remained exactly the same throughout that particular campaign?

13. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The last time we got promoted!!

14. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I am only answerable for my own actions and I've chosen to back Lee Johnson. I will not look to criticise and over analyse everything he does, as I don't believe he'll get everything right and isn't perfect. The policy of chopping and changing the gaffer on a regular basis has been an abject failure so far, so why persist in pursuing it?

15. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So we didn't sign Devaney, Wright, Heckingbottom & McParland after 25th August?

16. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well I'm hoping we don't. Like you say he might not get everything right but who does. If we can start playing good watchable football the results will come eventually.

We need a settled management team and a settle d on field team if we are to move forwards.

Onwards and upwards.

17. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Personally, I'm hoping the loan signings prove to everyone what Johnson sees in them and we then make the deals permanent ones (with the obvious exception of Crowley, who'll be going back to Arsenal).

18. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No idea I was just being a smart arse. To be fair we had a very settled side that year and Wright and McParland were more of a hindrance than a help.

19. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I really struggle with being smart, but am quite accomplished at being an arse.

20. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Again I agree. It's too early to have any ideas about how good or not any of them are (with the possible exception of Pearson). Difficult to see Rothwell getting too much game time as we seem a little overloaded in that area but that's no bad conundrum is t.