10 games in.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Menai Tyke, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Ged

Geddiswasguud Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My heart wants to say "stay up" and does but unless we have a fantastic jan window, bring the required players in and not bloody sell Woody!!! Im afraid i dont think this set of players are competitive enough to stay in this division.
    When i arrived home last night....i watched the game on tv....it looked like young kids, just running around for the majority.
    Really really hope im wrong on this, im totally proud of our never say die attitude and made up, we got our late goal to deservedly take a point but from what ive seen so far, the other teams are light years ahead and its going to be a massive struggle to keep in the champ.

2. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Right now I’d take relegation and another cracking season in L1. Last year was the most enjoyable & entertaining I can remember since the promotions under Clarke/Hunter. This season, so far, has been mostly excruciating.

Redblueunwhite likes this.
  3. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He may also be able to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear and turn water into wine. In my opinion he has been dealt a very poor hand.

4. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I've seen a few comments saying we're creating chances. I'm not sure I agree with that. It feels more like we're not creating, more that we're getting a few opportunities. If you look at the chances opponents are creating, it feels a big difference. We're not beating men, we're not opening up space, we're not overloading areas very well, crosses aren't very accurate, we're not getting one on ones and until Halmes goal, we've not found a player from a set piece.

I'm as equally concerned about our lack of cutting edge as I am the individual errors and the overly expansive play that breaks down our defensive structure.

The first 30 minutes, I was very impressed. I thought Williams and Bahre made a massive difference to us and we looked more compact with some good aggressive defending and accurate passing. But then we gave 2 fast sloppy goals away that were completely avoidable and we got loose.

Derby weren't a good side at all and were there to be beaten, probably to nil. But if we're conceding 2 goals against a team that weren't great, how will we do against a team at it and sensing blood?

There are some promising signs in there, but as many people have said, me too, its just too early for many of these lads, and that's compounded by so many all in the team at the same time.

I hope privately the recruitment team and decision makers all collectively realise what a mess this window has been, the worst in my memory. Blending 12 new players isn't easy. Removing 4 of the spine of your team, even harder. Blending 12 players with different languages, tougher again. And then you finally add the vast majority are 22 and under, and that's just crazy.

Despite the reasoning of Conway that they weren't going to do anything crazy, this is the second instance. Morais, now the most crazy transfer window in our history.

It's not a success if these players eventually go for millions but take too long to gel and we get relegated again.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Connor, Chef Tyke, RichieD and 2 others like this.
  5. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Stay up! Viewed from afar -and it may be the sunny climate and cheap wines that influences me (although its stormy and wet at the moment) - I don't see the disaster unfolding that many on here do. Pre season owner hype did not help but I do not see players " hopelessly out of their depth". There are instances and passages of good creative play, individual skills on par with many expensive opposition players, and some great build up work. All this is undone by individual errors which concede goals or result in goal scoring opportunities lost.

Thinking back... McGeehan gifting opposition a goal in two consecutive games, the two last night in the 'after you Claude...no... after you Cecil' debacle as well as several others in other games. Attackers shooting from difficult angles instead of looking up and making a simple layoff in front of goals for a tap-in (2 in one game I recall recently) We were often leading e.g. Brentford and last night or more than holding our own.

An experienced side would probably have gone on to win some of those games.

My reason for optimism is that there is potential in the squad and a good young manager still learning and growing. Far from the "worst side' in years that potential, unlike some of the sides we have had full of journeymen or simply poor footballers e.g. Gibbs, is the key

All the pre-season talk of patience seems to have been forgotten which I find frustrating so early into a long season. Some have written the season off already.

Cowboy and Redhelen like this.
  6. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stay up, I think we’re ***** but I trust Stendel and worse sides than this have stayed up in the past. Getting Bambo back could make a huge difference. This is all dependent on getting some experience in in January though of the Gary Gardner/Matty James ilk.

7. ScubaTyke

ScubaTyke Well-Known Member

Scuba Instructor/IT Consultant/Sailor...
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stay up.

8. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    19th. Had Woodrow buried that sitter yesterday it was game over. We can only get stronger with time, return of dougall and Diaby and the January transfer window

9. Did

Didcot Red Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stay up. I only watched on TV last night but there were positives to take from the game:
    We scored twice
    We never gave up and salvaged a point at the end.
    We are creating chances.
    We have a few players still to come back. Diaby in particular.
    We are not being thrashed.

However, we do need to stay in touch with our fellow relegation battlers until the January window when I hope that there is a bit of fine tuning to our recruitment policy to bring in some experience at this level to help our youngsters. I think we are seeing what we did in League 1 is much more difficult to replicate in the Championship.

CORY

Cowboy and Redhelen like this.
  10. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stay up.

11. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good lord it must have been some fallout you had.

Jake The Red likes this.
  12. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stay up.We earned the right last season to play in this league and although it was never going to be easy there as been positive signs in most games this season.The players who wanted out have gone we now have a new breed who are fighting for the shirt and I'm sure they'll not lay down against anybody to continue playing in the Championship.
    The 2 goals conceded last night were individual errors not team mistakes.They will learn from that.If we'd have thrown 20m at building a team more than likely they would have needed time to adjust and in some cases been called a waste of money.These lads to a man get my total backing.They're up for the fight and I know the majority of fans are too.

Mateo Corbo, Connor, Cowboy and 2 others like this.
  13. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ask the owners there the ones who know whats in the offing for January.

14. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Haha I noticed that. Unless the name change from Darfield to Goldthorpe has affected him.

Maybe the bloke at the club who fed him in the info has sacked him off.

Jake The Red likes this.
  15. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My mind's telling me no
    But my body, my body's telling me yes ...

16. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Stay up

just

17. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    24th and well adrift, rsst of the division's strugglers scrapping for 2 relegation places.

18. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just, touch and go all season, but survive with a game to go.

19. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    A fair few talking about the defence, and while it is a problem it's the lack of goals that will kill you. A good defence can often be the difference at the top end of leagues. Down at the bottom it's the teams that score goals who have the best chance of survival.
    So far we don't look good in this department at all. If Woodrow got injured we would be in serious trouble.

20. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    From what i have seen know and understand about the board in its current guise and mindset.

Were ******.