2016/2017 Season Summary & Player Ratings

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by edenthorpetyke, May 8, 2017.

1. ede

edenthorpetyke New Member

Ok, I thought I would create a document throughout the season and edit it as the games went by..

After a summer of arrivals and outgoings we had made some astute signings in Moncur, Bradshaw, Kent, Macdonald, Morsy and Armstrong. We also signed players for development including Lee, Kpekawa, Jackson and others..

August

Losing the first two games against Ipswich and Northampton, the Tykes began to click with wins over Rotherham, Derby and QPR. Looking back at the game against QPR, we were quality in the final third yet couldn't quite grasp a balance to the defensive side of our game, easily the best moment of the month was Scowen's winner a superb bit of play from Payne and Josh rifled in from close range. The first of many last minute goals which saw the Ponty end go ballistic.

September

We followed up our impressive form with away wins against PNE and Wolves, two of which could be in line for performances of the season. Both our counter attacking and fluid passing was on show to claim 6 points. In all honesty nothing was expected from the Brighton and Reading games, both of which in my opinion have been two of the better teams to visit us. Then arrived the villa game, the game where it started to click for the steel and creativity of Morsy, Hourihane and Scowen. That last minute header from Winnall sparked such a reaction from the Ponty end, a bloke ran the length of the field to goad their fans. Another memorable moment this season.

October

The defeat at Elland Road left me wondering whether we had enough in the final third, throughout the game we huffed and puffed and never looked scoring, a defeat against probably the best attacking team in the league had shown the difference in quality in regards to the top 6 and the mid table. Yet again, nothing was expected against Newcastle but we showed we can graft and create opportunities against bigger teams, however that extra bit of quality showed. After attending the Brentford game, it was a delight to see that we can occupy game management and score that scuffy goal. In regards to the Bristol game, we showed that have creativity coming off the bench in Hammill and a young creative midfielder in Kay, yet again another last minute goal sending the ponty into raptures.

November

Possibly the most disappointing months in our campaign, a possible of nine points on offer and we only took two. Stubborn defences in Burton and Wigan resulted in two draws as we couldn't create that spark in our attack. Then came Forest, which was such a strange 90 minutes it was confusing. Taking the lead twice and playing fast, devestating football to then lose 5-2. Could be down to losing a man in the 60th minute but we aren't the team to make excuses.

December

We started the month on fire with a impressive win against Birmingham away then backed up with a steely performance against Norwich, I am convinced that Villa scouts were at that game, because that's the game that Hourihane started to drag us into games and bring players upto his level. A robbery occurred at Hillsborough where we outdone by a poor and inconsistent referee, but what a way to bounceback from the defeat than a last minute winner at Cardiff. Some of the attacking football on show that day was second to none and probably the best I have seen in a red shirts. A relatively easy win against Blackburn followed, accompanied with a disappointing point against Birmingham.

January

The first month of the year started with a bang, Hourihane's piledriver from thirty yards in the last minute against Forest sent us absolutely barmy, I myself was starting to believe we could finish in the top 6 if we kept winning/drawing home games and nicking the odd away game. A inept performance against Fulham and two negative results against Blackpool brought me back to down to earth. Then Leeds arrived at Oakwell, there really is something about playing under the lights. Everything about it was a factor in such a high pressured derby, smoke bombs, Leeds fans in our stands, the constant goading of opposition players. The noise produced by the home fans after each goal went in was replicated from the playoffs just a few months before. I won't forget Hourihane's free kick nestling in the top corner against a scrambling Rob Green for a long long time, nor will I forget the scenes in the west stand as we went absolutely mad. A expected away win against Rotherham came before a lacklustre performance against Wolves, by this time Conor had left and Mowatt was in the door only to be sent off within 45 minutes.

February

With several players leaving we started to find a little bit of consistency with draws against Preston and Reading, a fantastic away win at Villa will be up there as one of my highlights of the season. Bradshaw on Valentines day finally showing his worth and becoming clinical. Yet again I didn't expect anything from the Brighton game as I had as champions before a ball was kicked in august. The derby against Huddersfield showed that with a makeshift team we don't lack effort nor creativity. Davies with numerous stops throughout the 90, one of the games showing that he is an exceptional young talent.

March

A total of twelve points on offer, only one was added to our tally. Disconcerning performances against Derby, QPR and Norwich highlighted our defencive frailties. A win was desperately needed, we all thought it would come against Ipswich only to concede in the last minute due to not marking correctly. A shining light in Matty James, the guy was oozing class and was running games yet we could not capitalise in the final third.

April

First day of the month and traditionally it is April Fools day, what a fitting celebration to the fool that is Winnall. A high pressured derby was exactly what we needed to get back on track, every fan in the ground was riled up for one reason or another. However, when both teams settled we were on the front foot. The last few minutes were extremely bad for the nerves, a scrappy equaliser from Macdonald sent us into raptures and we really turned the heat up. Chances for Moncur then Hammill having cleared off the line. If that would of hit the back of the net, it would of been utter carnage in all three areas of the ground. A boring draw against Cardiff came before an impressive away win at Blackburn, Marley letting fly from 30 yards the highlight of a drab month of results. We chucked away three points against a poor Wigan side, limped two home draws against Brentford and Burton, and helped Bristol to safety with an inept defensive performance.We finished the season with a spirited performance against the champions yet lacked that bit of quality we have needed since January to attack their goal.

#TeamslikeBarnsley

Kettlewell likes this.
  2. ede

edenthorpetyke New Member

Player Ratings...

1 Adam Davies – 7 – What a fantastic campaign he has had, minus a few blips but with games under his belt will only get better and will iron out his mistakes.

3 Aidy White – 5 – Never really got going, hasn’t reached the heights of last year. Fantastic going forward and impressive with his link up play, defensively not good enough

4 Marc Roberts – 8 – Man mountain, strong in the air and tackle. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him leave, only young and has been an influential captain in the latter stages of the season.

5 Angus MacDonald – 8 – See MR, the lad has made the enormous step up with ease, composed on the ball, bags of pace and knows where the net is. We need to build a strong defensive unit around him

6 Josh Scowen – 8 – The lad can play anywhere, scored some important goals and has grafted continually throughout the season. Yet again wouldn’t be surprised if moved on, has shown he can compete in the championship

7 Adam Hammill – 7 – Struggled with form/injury, has shown flashes of quality and has gone back to basics within how he plays. Can’t wait to see him fully fit next season.

10 George Moncur – 7 – Shining light for next season, in the dozen or so games has adapted his game superbly and is now reaping the benefits. The midfield will hopefully be moulded round him so he can reach full potential

11 Elliot Lee – 3 – Limited opportunities, shipped out in close season

13 Nick Townsend – 3- See EL

15 Marley Watkins – 8 – Complete grafter, the workhorse of the attack. He has worked tirelessly throughout and got his rewards. Scored some vital goals, he will move on as he would get into the majority of the championship teams.

17 Andy Yiadom – 9 – Player of the season, made the step up from conference seamlessly. Always a 8/9 performance every week, fortunately I feel his performances at ACUN have took him out of the limelight to our benefit

18 Adam Jackson – 6- A player with a lot of potential, at one point when Roberts was injured we kept ¾ clean sheets in a row, no nonsense defender who will come good at this football club.

19 Cole Kpekawa – 5 – Limited opportunities yet again, no one knows where he has been the past few weeks, quick in an attacking sense however his defensive side has been tested and the outcome hasn’t been great. Pre-Season will be vital for his development.

20 Tom Bradshaw – 6 – Hasn’t hit the heights of last season but made the step up in a impressive manner, some clever finished and tireless running has seen him score 8 goals which is a fantastic platform to build on.

21 Saidy Janko – 6 – A case of what if, he has been outstanding in the games he has played, strong in the tackle and pace in abundance, would love to see him next season.

27 Alex Mowatt – 5- Still waiting for his Barnsley career to spark into action, recycles the ball fantasticly and gets around the pitch, looking forward to seeing him next season in a more advanced role.

28 Ryan Williams – 6 – Limited opportunities and been hampered with injuries, scored a vital goal against Cardiff, wouldn’t be surprised if we get rid.

29 Gethin Jones – 4 – Tactically inept, I know he is a young lad but doesn’t know when to go forward or defend. Would like to see a academy lad in that position, surely there is one.

32 Adam Armstrong – 5 – Never really got going, not shown the correct attitude other loanees have, a few glimpses of talent. Will be on loan to another upcoming championship team.

34 Ryan Hedges – 6 – Clearly has talent, drifts with the ball with such grace, exciting prospect for next season.

36 Matty James – 9 – If only we had a few million to sign the lad, he has been such a joy to watch, so silky on the ball and has shown he still has the ability to influence championship games. Best loanee since Fletcher/Brownhill

38 Callum Elder – 3- The least I say the better.

40 Ryan Kent – 8 – Will be a premiership player in years to come, very much like Hammill when he first arrived, can glide past players and carve a defence open. Shown consistency these past few months and would love to see him in a red shirt in August.

The ones that got away…

Conor Hourihane - 9 – Arguably, the best player I have seen in a Barnsley Shirt, (22 years old!) the lad had it all, such a shame that he fancied the money instead of a shot at the play offs. The assists, the goals, the work behind the scenes in the community. He was just superb in everything he did. Villa have a gem in their hands and they can’t even give him a starting place.

James Bree – 8 - Superb young individual who could graft in the premier league, comfortable when defending and brilliant when attacking. Shows how good our academy is when another defender gets a big money move.

Sam Winnall – 8 – Without speaking about his moment, he was a clinical and deadly striker on his day and the linkup with Conor was a joy to watch. I don’t bemoan him moving it’s the fact he went to Wednesday. A shame that he will be out on loan next season to another championship club.

Kettlewell and barnsley66 like this.