95% of transfer fees gone...Oh yeah

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by arpete, Nov 7, 2019.

1. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think when they say "it's all been reinvested in the squad" if they are trying to be at all truthful they mean that it covers the length of the contracts they've given the incoming players. Which is ******** because regardless of transfer fees you're always going to have to pay wages. It's like selling a car for 10k then buying a car for 2k and saying that it's all been reinvested because in theory you're going to have to pay 8k over the life of the car in insurance and petrol, completely ignoring the fact that those costs would have applied to the 10k car anyway

2. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Chinny reck-on. Beard. *strokes chin*

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  3. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Aye, whatever you think of Cryne and the mistakes he made he ran the club on the basis that the club was (within reason) worth more than the net result of a profit/loss analysis. That doesn't apply any more. The current board are purely pragmatic with zero sentimentality. We're a business asset and nothing more and it seems the board are very risk averse. Not a good combination imo.

As things stand we buy and sell commodities, i.e. players. Bouncing between the championship and league 1 is a fvcking great way to realise a profit if you can reliably buy for fvck all from lower leagues/abroad and then sell for more affer developing them, but it is not a plan for progress unless you're willing to invest more and more in transfer fees which it's apparent we aren't.

We're trapped in a cycle. Buy low in the championship, get relegated, build a good team in league 1, gut it when we go up then buy kids with a view to storming league 1 after we get inevitably relegated again and then repeat. Low risk, steady profit.

Kettlewell likes this.
  4. jph

jph77 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The board are only bothered about one thing, how much they can earn for themselves out of our club.
    If I recall correctly, their takeover brought euphoria, hope and expectation.

They've delivered nothing.

The board have pissed up our backs.

*edited out potentially offensive reference

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    ubique_tyke likes this.
  5. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No it’s selling a car for £10k buying 4 cars for £2k spending £500 on each polishing them up putting new tyres and exhaust on them , then selling them for £4K

Cunning Stunt likes this.
  6. arp

arpete Well-Known Member

educating the masses
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Trouble is there is no guarantee that just because we bounced back st the first attempt
    last time we will again.You know it,I know it but this board just dont know it otherwise they would be moving heaven and earth in the summer to build on the promotion team not immediately sell it to the highest bidder who we are up against in the championship. Like you said they seem to class making a profit as their only success. I will be amazed if they don't sell the better players in Jan and bring a couple of players in to give us a chance of staying up....AMAZED cos my faith in the board has evaporated and the 95% comment just finished any optimism off. As my dear old dad used to say ,that is a scarborough warning if ever there was one of their intent.

Redhelen likes this.
  7. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think James Cryne is English

8. AthersleyRed

AthersleyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For all Patrick's good that he did for our club (we are eternally grateful, big man), handing them the reigns was a mistake. And it pains me, a lot, to say that.

KingBenny92 likes this.
  9. KingBenny92

KingBenny92 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Great analogy

10. jph

jph77 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    OK, I don't know the exact build up of the board but isn't it led by Chinese and at least one American? My point is that they're not local, they're not British, there's no sentiment involved, they don't care what they're doing as they don't have the same love of the game as you, I and the rest of England's football fans.

But thanks for your contribution, very smart.

Redhelen likes this.
  11. jph

jph77 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Furthermore, is that your only comment on my post?
    If you were a proper BFC fan you'd agree/disagree.... Not just nit-pick.

12. Ex Bournemouth Red

Ex Bournemouth Red Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Playing devils advocate here, but I thought the wording used was 'we've reinvested 95% of transfer fees received'.

This could quite possibly be true - if the transfer fees for players sold are split across the length of contract of the player, and not payed in full at time of sale, then what we have actually received so far is a lot less then the combined fee of all the players sold.

If the twelve that we've bought have had the fee paid up in full at time of purchase due to them being young, inexperienced and relatively cheap, then it is not inconceivable that we have spent 95% of transfer income received.

However, we will never know as the board won't communicate anything. Maybe next set of accounts will prove/disprove this.

As for the 'missing £6m promotion money' - surely this is received over the course of the year and not in a lump sum up front - so at present we don't have it sat in the bank? Does this include items like increased ticket sales to away fans? If so, then you have to factor in the increased policing costs for teams like Leeds, Sheff Wed and Millwall, as an example of where some of it has gone.

13. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This exactly. But without driving the car to the destination and getting lost on the way.

I’m convinced there is more chance we will sell in Jan than recruit.

Currently flying back from China and picking lad up in Manchester then over for game tomorrow. I said I’ll pick and choose games based other things coming first. I’m getting closer and closer to not renewing 2 Season tickets or whatever they are called today next season. For me January is a key point. Have we hired a manager by then? Will squad have improved? Will we buy / sell? Will we consider loans and / or experience?

Turning point

14. wombwell-red

wombwell-red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They seem like the type of people to p*ss on your back and tell you it’s raining.

15. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Could have been easily fooled yesterday!

Tbf re. Season tickets we did get a keyring and pin badge and have been able to pay monthly for no extra charge.

wombwell-red likes this.
  16. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Just had a look and only article I can find so far is the previous TV deal (was renewed in 2018) where it states champ clubs get £2.05m plus a solidarity payment of £4.65m.

League 1 teams in the same period got a compared £1.4m. Champ clubs got £100k for a home game, while a league 1 club get £30k. So if you're on twice at home (as we have already) then you're getting an extra £140k compared to League 1.

I think (though not 100% sure) that the latest deal increased these amounts, so you probably aren't far off £6m just being from TV monies (depending on how many home games youre on)

17. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just more bloody landfill. The ticket was all I needed. We're supporters, we don't have to be enticed or rewarded with cheap gimmicks.

jedi one likes this.
  18. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And it wasn't really mentioned much at the time but for a 'welcome pack' that was promised it was absolutely bloody awful. A cheaply made keyring (did the paint come off anyone elses straight away) and a waste of space huge cardboard box to put it in.
    The advertising for it was deliberately vague as well which is no wonder because it was ****

19. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That makes it even worse business doesn't it? To not only have sold the assets and replaced them with poorer, young inexperienced and extremely cheap players but to have done so in a manner that means we had to pay up front for all of the signings whilst not being able to secure the same deal for the sales

Geddiswasguud and Redhelen like this.
  20. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is a local club for local people, there is nothing for you here!
    Your shrunken world mentality and xenophobia totally ruins your point. Hilarious that you clearly think that it was a clever point, too.
    It is not about where the owners are from, it’s about their behaviour. There are fans on this site that aren’t ‘local’ or ‘English’ I suppose they’re evil ne’er do wells that want to wreck the club?
    Arguments like yours totally devalue the very valid criticism of the board as people can just say any criticism is based on ‘fear of forriners’.