Another huge turnover of players in the next 13 months

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by OnGoingCloud1887, Dec 31, 2017.

1. OnGoingCloud1887

OnGoingCloud1887 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't say I didn't warn you! There's a little potential in the current squad. I reckon McCarthy, Pinnock, Jackson and Bradshaw will continue to be very good for us and worth building a new team around.

However, on current viewing I can't really see anyone else from this lot being here beyond the next 3 transfer windows. Especially if we survive this season.

Firstly there are the loanees. Barnes is to be recalled, Williams is OK but hardly worth pursuing beyond this season and Gardner & Ugbo add nothing to the side so won't be here much longer at all.

Yiadom is off (thank god)

Moncur looks disinterested and will be shipped out sooner or later.

Really like Davies but not consistent enough at this level. I won't be surprised when a new keeper is drafted in between the sticks.

Like most Reds fans I absolutely love Hammill but he simply won't contribute enough goals and assists at this level so we're bound to upgrade in that department.

Cavare and Isgrove look seriously injury prone so it is almost inevitable they will be offloaded.

The jury is still out on Mallan, Hedges and McGeehan but if they are not going to be handed game time then we're sure to be tempted to get rid.

With lads from the U23s there are always some that make it and some that won't. A few that have signed professional deals are bound to be let go as that is football.

Then there are all the players who simply look well out of their depth and will surely be replaced: MacDonald, Pearson, Fryers, Lindsay, Townsend, Thiam & Potts.

I wasn't joking!!

2. redarmychris

redarmychris Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lindsay is not out of his depth. He’ll go for big money.

Looks better than Mawson did in his first 6 months in League One.

3. OnGoingCloud1887

OnGoingCloud1887 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    needs to learn how to kick a ball first

4. redarmychris

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Easily good enough at this level. He’ll be a beast in a few years. Only 22.

sitting bull and Jimmy viz like this.
  5. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree that the team will be built around Pinnock, McCarthy, and possibly Bradshaw. Jackson - I think Lindsay is a better footballer, but Jackson was immense before his injury. A nice problem to have.

As for the others, writing off Hedges, Mallan and McGeehan already seems a bit daft. Mallan is clearly talented, but not quite ready. There's a reason Pinnock wasn't dropped straight in either, despite the fact that Gus's confidence was clearly shot. McGeehan was probably the best player in League 2 last season before his injury and is still very young. Personally I think he'll come good for us. Hedges has also done well at times but been inconsistent. Unsurprising considering his age. You don't get called up to the Wales squad for no reason.

Isgrove's had a torrid time with injuries this season but that was never a problem in his previous spell. There's no evidence to say that it's a long term problem he's got, and I really hope it isn't.

Thiam - looked promising yesterday by all accounts. May come good, may not, but again far too early to write him off.

Obviously some players won't make the grade and will leave. If even half of last summer's signings become established Championship players, we'll have done well. I think that Moncur has had his chance and wasted it, and I'm not sure whether Mowatt has any sort of future with us. Probably not, which is a shame as those two are naturally two of the most gifted players we've got. They just don't seem to be particularly arsed about using their talents.

Andy Mac, PLOBBY and Connor like this.
  6. Del Rosso

Del Rosso Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Having witnessed only 2 games thus season Aston Villa and Reading I agree with the OP we have maybe 4 players worth keeping the rest are simply not up to championship football I doubt however that a massive clearout will happen this window some additions and the dross gradually discarded from yesterday's showing I'd keep Davies Pinnock Lindsey and Bradshaw
    I do see plenty of huff n puff but there is no flair whatsoever in our squad.
    Roll on next month

7. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    IMO - we haven't got a 'bad' player.
    We just need a few other players there to make them shine out more.

Connor, Andy Mac, Xerxes and 3 others like this.
  8. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I seriously doubt it

9. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Dawson got some right hammer on here in his 1st 6 months made some bad mistakes was a much better player when we took the captain's armband off him. The issue with Lindsay is he is allegedly a ball playing center half who struggles to play the ball to a red shirt.

10. Nardiello

Nardiello Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lindsay is great at defending, needs a lot of work on the ball though. Really frustrating watching him whack it up to no one.

11. redarmychris

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A bit like Roberts really. Who went for big money.

12. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Mallan, Macdonald, Lindsay, Thiam, Isgrove, Pearson, Potts have all shown enough or need more time but look promising. On top of HAmmill, Pinnock, Jackson, Davies, Yiahdom(if he stays), McCarthy as well as potential in Bird Brown and Adeboyejo.
    We need an experienced driving midfielder, at least one big experienced striker, some competition for Davies and probably another full back.

Andy Mac likes this.
  13. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    If your post is a medium to long term view, it shouldn't need too much tinkering. The soundbites we hear indicate the club has finally understood we just need the bit of experience needed to survive or compete in the Champ.

But can't fully agree with your assessment of required personnel.

Davies should be long term #1. With an old head to push him / help him.

Defense. Potentially good. Build around McCarthy , Lindsay, Pinnock and Jackson. If Yids wants out, get shut. If he wants to stay, great. Fryers I'm unsure of. Likewise Pearson.

Forwards. Persevere with Bradders. I really want Thiam to come good but fear he's our latest foreign enigma. But we need to recruit and recruit well. Maybe develop Brown and Adebayojo instead of wasting all our time on Ugbo.

But it's midfield where decisions are needed. I'd spend on Williams and build around him. I like all the rest, including Potts and Mowatt, but we have too many too similar. Maybe Moncur has run out of chances.

January is critical, that's for sure. If we get it right and trim the fat, we have got a good medium to long term spine.

14. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Yep