Another view on the ref's pacing out comedy moment

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Prince of Risborough, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Incredibly that is the second time this season that we have seen this where a referee deliberately and incompetently paces out ten yards, but gets it completely wrong. But last night's must have been the best one.

When our players protested he ignored them.
    When Scowen paced out the gap to show him he was wrong...he ignored him
    When Hammill then let fly before the dust had settled - had the whistle actually gone? I bet if it had gone in he would have disallowed the goal.
    But then...as he walked back to the half way line, Scowen gave him the verbals in an obviously agitated way for quite a long time. Did he speak to our player or book him? No, and I can only imagine that the only reason he didn't punish Scowen for his obvious dissent was that he KNEW he was in the wrong and was totally ashamed of his whole night's work.

Just when you think a worse referee cannot possibly be out there......

2. MexboroughTyke

MexboroughTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Or the time Williams went down after a poor challenge, the referee put the whistle to his mouth, and then changed his mind and allowed Wolves to break down the left-wing. Proper inept.

3. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's become the norm. Week after week we get inept referees. Something has got to give.

4. gooderzone

gooderzone Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are they full time at this level? It certainly doesn't seem that way. Mind you it wouldn't make much difference I suppose. So called Premier League referees are just as bad as we have recently seen first hand.

What I couldn't get my head around last night was how the standard of refereeing has stagnated while the standard of football has increased so much. If you've got a product that is improving all the time, but a particular aspect is so obviously and constantly letting it down, you would fix it, surely?

The video referee has to be introduced in order to make things fairer for teams. One chat with his linesmen last night led to the referee cancelling a penalty he had awarded with as little careful consideration as Alex Mowatt's earlier tackle. It took him a good couple of minutes mind, which we didn't get back in added time, whereas one 10 second glance at a pitch side monitor by the fourth official could have cleared up the whole thing much quicker. Captains could have a finite number of challenges like Tennis players do, that get replenished at half-time, and decisions should be reviewed. It would be much fairer on everybody and I for one would respect the referees for taking the time to reconsider their decision, rather than ridicule them for making the wrong one in the first place. Surely they can't be so concerned about being undermined that they're completely prepared to jeopardise justice?

And with regards to the original point about yard spacing, the fourth official could have the same technology the tv cameras do where they can see on screen whether the referee has got it right. One quick glance and thumbs up and on we go with the free kick. Easy.

5. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Since when did justice have anything to do with football and Barnsley?

6. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes they are full time. I know that because I'm currently on hold waiting for mike Riley to come to the phone...

7. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    While we're all here wondering how they're so consistently inept, they are all cashing the cheques. I will not excuse blatant corruption as lack of skill. In your opening post you evidence that he knew he had done something wrong, an idiot does not realise his mistakes a man being swayed in some way does. Tell me again about how Wolves just spent £13m on a player but wouldn't be likely to sway an official that isn't answerable or accountable to anyone.

8. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cancel that. His PA has refused to discus refereeing and refused to put him or anybody else on the phone. I have however got her email address

9. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why didn't the linesman flag to either indicate penalty or not? I'm presuming that as we got the free kick when they changed their mind, the linesman thought Scowen (I think) was fouled just prior to Hammill making his challenge and should have flagged for that?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

10. Met

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Seriously, if I could make a change to refereeing, I'd make them all full time, salaried and have them all rotate through all four divisions as equally as possible. I've no hard or fast view on technology, but I hate the elite list connection with the premier league. Kavanagh last night was woeful. If that was a PL ref, as a punishment to him, he'd be inflicted on lower league clubs. Pay them all and make em accountable.

11. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The linesman doesn't flag because the rules tell him not to. If he disagrees with the referee he is instructed not to flag for but to do exactly as he did and speak tomorrow referee. Flagging the other way apparently undermines the referees signal

12. Met

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cheers, genuinely didn't know that.

13. Red Watch

Red Watch Active Member

Apprentice trained pensioner
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Maybe the two incidents were so close together that the assistant didn't have time to signal before the penalty was awarded. The ref might have thought the assistant was flagging for the penalty if he'd raised the flag. I for one am glad the referee took notice and changed his decision. I've never seen that before at Oakwell. Just saying.

14. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He had no choice. How could he overrule the linesman when the fourth official and the other linesman had heard him clearly tell the referee?