Anyone attended 1 of those speed awareness course's?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Eaststand Lower, Jun 1, 2013.

1. NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Banned Idiot

not tarring anyone what i'm saying is if bikers where educated in the same way as they are doing with other drivers that would also save life's, all this telling drivers to look out for riders, makes some riders forget to look out for them self,

2. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Forgetting his driving habits for a minute he has got a point. All the high profile advertising campaigns are completely one sided and in my opinion causes resentment towards bikers. There should be high profile advertising campaigns aimed at riders as well. It's alright telling drivers that we have to keep looking for bikes because they're hard to see but maybe a few lives would be saved if there was an ad telling bikers to remember that they need to take care BECAUSE they're hard to see.

Camera shot from drivers point of view of him looking in his mirrors and seeing nothing then cutting away to him moving round a parked car only to hit a bike which was going passed him at the time with a message coming up on screen 'sometimes no matter how hard they look it can be hard to see bikes. Take care around other vehicles, they can't avoid you if they can't see you'.

Also what is the law on filtering?

3. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Nightmare may not have put it very well but I have an issue with speed limits at times as well - they take away common sense and the ability to determine the correct speed - sometimes the limits are too high - often they are correct but sometimes they are just too low - most accidents are caused by either driving too fast for the conditions or not paying attention the not paying attention one particularly a problem when driving artificially slowly. Accidents caused by exceeding the speed limit are actually a small percentage of the total.

The one time I have been done for speeding I was on a deserted dual carriageway at 1:30am in the morning - it was one section of a through road where every other section is 60 but this has a 40 limit on it as in the day time there are tyre centres, KFC quick fit petrol stations etc all coming out onto it - in those circumstances its a fair limit - at 1:30 in the morning when everyone is in bed and not another car in sight I dont think doing 55mph was a heinous crime - but I got 3 points and a fine - though I suspect more because the Plod who caught me were pissed off that I passed the breathalyser and decided to do me a speeding ticket anyway. Not offered a speed awareness course for 15mph over the limit I think they are only for those a few percent over. These days I do try and drive at speed limits most of the time but there are some sections of country road near me with a stupid blanket 40mph limit on that almost everyone ignores just one day doubtless there will be a camera there lying in wait to gain revenue from fines or people going on a course to be told that at 50mph a stray rabbit has no chance - just the same as at 40

4. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One that I have a particular issue with is when the speed limit is for example 40 but then there is a sign saying 'max speed 30mph' when the road gets a bit bendy. The 'max speed' sign is simply advisory and not a limit so why the hell is the speed limit set higher than it is safe to drive at? Surely for the same money it cost to put an advisory sign up they could have put a proper speed limit sign.

5. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    They do that in France - the thing is if its just one bend they then need to put another sign back to 40 once you get round - and also my general experience is the max speed is the max speed a reliant robin could go round in the wet on tyres with 1.6mm of tread left - I know a couple of bends that have max 30 or max 40 on that in dry conditions can easily be taken at 10 or even 20 mph more quite safely

6. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I like to always keep in mind the speed limit, but sometimes it's hard to drive at that speed when going with the flow of traffic.

As obvious as it is that speeding does kill, I also think that driving too slow can cause accidents. A plankton driving 30mph on a 50mph road infuriates other drivers, that they have to pull out and overtake this person.. it only takes a slight misjudgement and a lorry coming the other way for it to all end in tears..

7. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    y
    Or if you want a more blatant example if a car was to drive at 20mph down the M1 in good visibility and moderate traffic it would be far more likely to cause an accident either hit from behind or someone swerving at the last minute hitting someone else - than a car doing speeds of between 80 and 90mph would

8. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    You can attend a course closer to home, it just depends on what company the police force in that area uses. I had to go to York for mine as it was the closest AA course to me, as I was caught up near Darlington. SYP use a different company to North Yorkshire, so had I got caught anywhere in south yorks, I could have gone to Priory Campus to do it.

9. Hom

Homer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You can attend your nearest centre of the Force nearest to you. I was done by Humberside, and could have attended at Lundwood for South Yorkshire Force. Turned it down and took 3points

10. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Filtering is legal, but if you can be done for dangerous driving if you do something stupid.

11. mrx

mrx Banned Idiot

manager
    Home Page:
    Has driving within the speed limit been banned

You get caught suffer the consequences

Try telling some of the familys who have lost loved ones through speed related accidents that speeding is fine

12. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The other day I was on the motorway and there was a lorry doing no more than 50mph in the middle lane and another trying to overtake it in the 'fast' lane while the 'slow' lane sat empty. They were causing absolute mayhem with cars hitting the brakes left right and centre.

Another one that annoys me is when there is a development or a change to a road which means the limit is reduced even further simply due to bad planning. A prime example is the road that bypasses Wombwell town centre (the 50mph road) which they have built a school next to. The school is actually a long way from the road via a longggg access road so during the day there shouldn't be any kids wandering about at all yet some bright spark decided to build a giant roundabout in the middle of the bypass and lower the speed limit. what the hell? The school has a bridge built over the bypass so there is no reason at all for ANY child to cross the road and we're not talking about 5 year olds either, its a secondary school full of kids who should know the basics of road safety. Also the last time I checked the entrance to a school only has traffic coming and going from it at two points in a day, 9am (or whenever) and 3pm (or whenever it is) so why the hell did they feel the need to build a roundabout which affects traffic 24/7 for what is essentially 30 minutes worth of use a day? If they really needed to do something to stop the obviously stupid parents and bus drivers from having to use a junction like everyone else in the world then why not use part time signals so that the limit could stay at 50mph and the school still be safe?

Unbelievably poor planning which has cost more money than it should (a full size roundabout rather than a traffic light) and has meant everyone is negatively effected with a reduced speed limit just in case some 15 year old pillock CHOOSES to ignore the bridge they spent money building and runs out into the middle of a bypass.

13. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    That one is just crass - fortunately for me I dont live in Wombwell anymore so only use it when I visit - but it does piss me off. I really dont understand why we cant have speed limits that change around schools. Have one speed limit say 20mph between 7:30 and 9:30 and again between 3 and 5 but a normal limit the rest of the time instead of a blanket 30mph limit that applies even at 2am when the rest of the road would have a 50 limit on it. I have definitely seen that in other countries

14. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I attended one at a hotel in Ossett, course was done by two blokes, one of them a Barnsley season ticket holder. Both were a good laugh, made the course real fun and it flew by.

much better than taking the points and 60 quid fine

15. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  16. mrx

mrx Banned Idiot

manager
    Home Page:
    Is that reality ?
    No.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

17. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You know why they make a big fuss about looking out for bikers is that you hit someone on a bike you'll more than likely kill them.

How many of the drivers on this forum actually looks out for bikes whilst driving...

18. mrx

mrx Banned Idiot

manager
    Home Page:
    Sadly most bikers on the road are *****s

Aged 40+
    Speed
    Harass other drivers weaving etc
    I look out for all other road users not just bikers

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

19. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have you been on one to be able to make that comment?

20. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Easy tiger ;-)