Ashley Fletcher

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by redarmychris, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Ahh the Derek Riordan saga.

The personalised number plate. Nobody thought to question why a professional footballer would be driving a Vauxhall Signum.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Extremely Northern likes this.
  2. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would be a great addition but I too think some folk on here rate the signing a little bit too high.

Like isgrove, I'd love to see him back, but his record at the level below wasn't exactly smouldering.

He would strengthen us without doubt, but I'm not so sure he's genuine premier league class. He played in only 16 league games, starting two for West Ham, without scoring. He didn't make his professional debut until he was 20. For us.

He's played in under 50 professional games, started less than 20, and scored 10, all but one for us at league one/jpt level.

I'm not trying to make out he's a bad player or that he's anything but a good signing but it isn't a guaranteed 20 goals a season we're looking at. Hopefully we can polish him up into that. Yes for West Ham's benefit but we have the benefit of his improved performances all being well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichieD likes this.
  3. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Er well... That's not true is it... One, he hasn't scored a premiership goal and 2.. it looks like he's going to drop out of said premiership to get a game...
    He went way, way too early..
    Folk don't half over exaggerate on here

4. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'm very much of the mind of it wouldn't be a bad addition, but like a couple have said, he's not made any impact at premier league level and he was super raw when he was with us in a league lower than we are now. So if he came and did well it would be a huge breakthrough for him.

Has his game developed more in 12 months, can his raw potential be tapped into? No idea. There's something there, but how far he goes and how quickly he reaches his pinnacle and what that is, its way too soon to know.

He has height, he has physical stature and a decent turn of pace. But a long way to go for him. Would I have him, yes. Would I expect Tammy Abraham levels of goals, no.

5. red

red24/7 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    had to log in to reply, what are some people on ,Fletcher not a good signing ,can you all not remember how he put the ball in back of net at Wembley ,class finish, when he as played for England under 20 with Rashford ,all pundits said he outshone him, he is just what we want, someone to hold ball up, bring our midfield into the attack, not see it pinging back to the opposition as Bradshaw out muscled off ball,people have short memories, ,who do you think would be a big signing,if this lad is not ?

Connor and shed131 like this.
  6. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd certainly be happier signing him over McBurnie

7. MexboroughTyke

MexboroughTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I don't think anybody, even Conan, has said it wouldn't be a good signing.

Tyke Far From Home likes this.
  8. only1kp

only1kp Well-Known Member

father of 3, best friends with jack daniels
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Where has anyone said fletcher wouldn't be a good signing ??

Im sure everyone would love him back, but some are merely pointing out that they wouldnt see it has a WOW signing, whereas some others would

9. red

red24/7 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    O K then ,what would be a WOW , signing for us, there is never going to be one, because our business model will not allow us , LOVE how are club is run now, just have to think of us paying Leroy Lita an aledged 9 k a week ,to see how wrong these so called WOW signings can turn out

10. only1kp

only1kp Well-Known Member

father of 3, best friends with jack daniels
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Dont disagree and i will repeat once more, i would love him back here. All i and a few others are saying is that upto now ashley, like most of our new signings are unproven above league 1. If we hadnt heard of him before, being linked with a striker that had scored just 10 goals in 47 games, mostly at a lower level, wouldnt get everyone saying WOW i hope we sign him

MexboroughTyke likes this.
  11. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Where i'm coming from, is not to hail him as a finished product, messiah, answer to our striking issues. He's a young lad with something about him, but he's young and hasn't set the world alight as yet. Hopefully he will, and hopefully he will for us.

Let's not forget he didn't always start when with us on loan, and most of his goals came at the end of the season when we were absolutely steam rolling teams.

I'm on board with the approach, though I do fear we're a bit blinkered, I don't think there is anything wrong with older players, if they are the roght mentality and want to do well and are open to our style of play and coaching.

12. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yer can guarantee that if he doesn't sign then someone will be on here saying - 'he wasn't that good anyway'.

13. Nardiello

Nardiello Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If he signs, I will say wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Judging by some of the replies, they already are. Unbelievable. I'm sure some people just take the opposite view for the sake of it on here sometimes.

15. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Nobody's said that.

16. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We were in and around the play off places and they still wanted to leave. Fletcher wouldn't have made any difference.

17. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some people are finding negative things to say e.g. his goal output. We've seen what he can do, which proves statistics can be very misleading..

18. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I think some, like myself just don't understand some of the hype.

Nobody has said he wouldn't be a good signing or that he wouldn't add to our team. But let's not get carried away, if he was as good now as he could be, or as some are saying he is, he'd be starting games for West Ham. He's a good young player. I feel he was very raw when he was with us, but he was a big game player. He turned it on when it mattered.

Its a different opinion. But considering some of the opinions that have been flying around here lately, I'm yet to see anything in this thread that's remotely negative. Constructively critical.

19. bra

bradgatetyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well, he is a striker and that's what he's judged on.

He could have done with a season in the Championship last year instead of going straight into a hit and miss Premiership team. MUFC clearly didn't see him as potentially good enough and off-loaded him. Ok they thought the same about Paul Pogba some years ago but I think Fletcher needs a good season at Championship level instead of another season not making much of an impact for WHUFC.

I'd love to get him on loan but if we or another Championship team do it will be a step down for him and an admission that he's been out of his depth so far in the Premiership.

20. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can't beleive What I'm reading on here.
    Manchester United offloaded him? That really true or utter nonsense. Ashley turned down a contract with Manchester United to sign a 5 year deal with West Ham. He played off the bench a lot last season but also started and did okay if not better than that. He did play well at old Trafford for example. He would have learnt whilst at whu too. Training with Carroll must be brilliant for him. To be in and around teams like Chelsea and watching the likes of costa and Lukaku in person would be massive also.

Not everything can be put down in numbers. If you watch the Colchester highlights back he's tearing him apart. He wants to play and that's massive for anyone that takes him. He's naturally got it all.