Bambo Chant

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Gally, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Not defending the song, I don't like it. But I have a much bigger problem with names those who are singing it are being called than with the song itself. They're not morons and knuckle daggers they're someone's kids. The intention here is a aggression and abuse, where as with the song it clearly isn't.

If there was precedent for the older generation being right on matters of prejudice or social change at any time in human history then I'd concede the point. But there isn't. What makes you think you're the first? Just stop the name calling.

2. Spi

SpionPlop Active Member

tree surgeon
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure who is bringing these cretins up but they have a lot to answer for, as for them being targets it’s definitely been on the other foot for the past few weeks as you will know if you have seen social media etc for the club to have to make two statements and coaching staff having to be dragged into it shows the astonishing level of ignorance that as dragged the clubs name through gutter. Finally you’re are defending idiots who should not be allowed into Oakwell whatever there age and you are also defending the racist chant. Now scuttle off back down your hole.

SuperTyke, anstonred and TitusMagee like this.
  3. Cow

Cowboy Well-Known Member

Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well! I was going to reply pointing out how these poor misunderstood deprived kids resplendantly clad in the designer clothes probably paid for by their hard working parents had a right to offend the majority of fans with their racist chanting because the older generation have let them down. If I were to politely ask them to refrain from singing this song then I will totally understand if one of the poor underprivileged mites rip out their seat and hit me with it.
    After all, it's our fault for letting them down!
    After a moment of quiet reflection I don't think I'll bother

SuperTyke, TitusMagee and havana red1 like this.
  4. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My view on this has always been that it doesn’t matter whether you think it’s racist or not but that fans should stop singing it as some people think it’s racist & offensive so therefore it shouldn’t be sang. It’s as simple as that as far as I’m concerned.

However I do agree with Jay about the way some fans have spoke about others in the last couple of weeks. I think the whole things got a bit daft. I’ve seen posts talking about how weird it is singing about another mans dick. It’s a football game, virtually every chants weird.

How weird was it singing about letting Bobby Hassell have a go on your wife? Or chanting ‘gypo’ at Donny or anyone with long hair? Or the song about the pope & the IRA? Or the Ched Evans song?

5. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    When you think about it, football is just a mess isn’t it. The game, the structure, many owners, the media, some fans, the cost, the overspending, the largesse and excesses.

Why are other sports more immune to this?

By the way, the majority booing the song I think is a fantastic idea, and maybe a positive song to a completely different tune for him might show that the fans are behind him.

6. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ignore the racist stereotype and it's still obscene and inappropriate at a family sporting event.

7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    As l said, don't like the song

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    No, I won't.
    Stop calling people names.

TobyOnTheMoon likes this.
  9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Did someone say stereotyping?

10. Spi

SpionPlop Active Member

tree surgeon
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So you're happy to accept i was correct on your stance in you're original post then.

11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Of course not, you have just spouted a load of abuse, you haven't made a point to be correct about.

12. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can’t be the only person who wouldn’t sing any of those either? I sometimes think I live on a different planet when people say ‘like you’ve not...’ when I most definitely haven’t done any of the things they then go on to list.

13. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I haven't either.

14. Bak

Baka Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Because (most) other sports don't matter.

You go to a tennis match and really hope Federer wins. But it's not part of your identity in the way supporting a football club is.

I think (most) other sports are 'entertainment.' Football actually matters, and because it matters, you get the extremes of behaviour (which I can't defend.)

When something is important - support of a football club, support of a massive cricket team like India or Pakistan or England or Australia - it will always show.

15. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I used to sing the Bobby Hassell song & I’ll be honest I’ve joined in on gypos years ago.

I imagine singing about our right back shagging your wife is even stranger for a woman

Redhelen likes this.
  16. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Sorry to point out... but football doesn't matter either. Cricket is a team sport. So is rugby. Why is football so tribal and inherently abusive, and at times violent? Not to mention flawed in its structure and attracts some seriously morally underwhelming individuals in many aspects from ownership and below.

TitusMagee likes this.
  17. Bak

Baka Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Because it matters.

Nobody's bothered about cricket and rugby, not in the same sense they are bothered about football.

I don't believe that the people who went onto the streets to celebrate England winning The Ashes or the rugby world cup think about the England cricket or rugby teams as much as a football fan thinks about their football team. It's nice when the cricket/rugby sides win, but the significance of it passes like the weather.

Football is an obsession, whether England are playing Brazil or Kosovo. Other sports become important for a short time - during World Cups, Ashes, whatever - and then return to normal.

And because football is important, people fight over it, build their lives around it, and so on and so forth.

In the end, nothing matters. We're all going to die. But football feels like it matters.

Redhelen likes this.
  18. Wilmersdorfer Winky

Wilmersdorfer Winky Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think you're misguided here, Jay. Even putting aside the fact It's far from just young kids (generation z or whatever you want to call it; the one after mine, I was born in 1990) singing it, you seem to be suggesting that maybe we of other generations just don't get it somehow and that maybe this is fine and OK for that generation because they're widely seen as the most tolerant and openminded. I'm sure they are the most tolerant generally, but that doesn't mean it's immune from the stark political division seen across the rest of society at the moment. That doesn't mean they all get everything right when it comes to matters of prejudice and social change. Look at the alt-right movement in America for example, young people sharing frog memes and declaring commitment to white identity politics. They're bonkers.

Abusing people is never the right way to go about things, on that I agree. I imagine it's only going to make those singing it more determined to do so if we go around calling them racist knuckle draggers and morons. However, when we've established the chant is racist (but not necessarily offensive), when the club has asked multiple times for them to stop, when the assistant head coach has asked them to stop, when the leading anti-racism in football campaign has asked them to stop — at what point do we stop giving them the benefit of the doubt?

19. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Football doesn't matter at all.

Its a lot of people being paid way too much money for what they are doing just to work part time and kick a bag of wind about. Astonishing really isn't it? That people think it matters. There are probably still a few who think the players and owners still care for the fans too and that the badge kissing is real.

Its just a hobby. Though the only hobby I know where the worst aspects of society manifest themselves.

20. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I do think they should stop, for all the reasons you have mentioned. I am not defending singing this song.

I don't believe, as long as people continue with this approach of abusing and stereotyping our younger fans that they will stop. For reasons that should be obvious to everyone but it appears beyond most. It has to cease.