Barnsley FC Reply: West Stand Update

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Loko the Tyke, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Loa

Load Bearing Pillar Well-Known Member

The West Stand, second along from the Ponty end
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you mean exits from the stand itself or exits onto the road?
    Each block has its own exit into the open concourse so three in total as only 3 block are open (incase of an emergency people on the upper tier would also be able to use the exits in blocks A and B) then two big gated exits onto the road. I have never ever ever experienced any congestion leaving Block D or anything that i thought was dangerous in the 30 odd years i sat there.

2. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I mean exits from the stand. I ought to duck out of this debate though, as I haven’t been near that stand for the best part of 20 years!

3. Loa

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Each block had it's own exit so 5 in total from the stand plus another exit at the front into the west lowers near the press box. Even when full it's far quicker to exit than the east upper or lower.

4. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    I cant agree with you - as I said earlier even if you take your point about the lower - which is a stretch that cant justify closing the upper. also dont people get wet towards the front of the Ponty and ESL especially if the wind is in the wrong direction - closing an entire stand because some get wet seems a bit extreme.
    In any case its all speculation none of us have been given an actual reason - just that its not safe for fans - why not it would help if there was something concrete to go on -even if it is the reason you give above

Redhelen likes this.
  5. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Either way he's come across really badly as he has throughout his short time with us, be it the disgusting actions regarding Watford and turning off his phone so they couldn't contact him, his buzzword laden first statement/interview that was full of corporate ******** and no substance right through to his decision to close the west stand (or his lies in pretending it was him). He's really not come across well at all

6. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Could you explain why the ponty end remains open? The exact same widespread abuse of the law took place during the same game.

Also the upper tier and the lower tier of the west stand are completely separate structures, one built over 100 years ago, the other about 25 years ago. Could you explain why you think that widespread abuse of the law in the stand known as west lower means that fans can no longer use the stand behind it known as west upper?

7. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

A lot of assumptions here presented as fact with zero evidence to back it up.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  8. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Given that the council building regs inspector has reported that the stand is safe. The club were found out pretty quickly on the ‘safety’ issue. If you mean people standing then the social Stand will need to be shut immediately as people stand every game there.

It would have been far more honest of the club to say we are making a financial decision to close the stand so we can adequately steward the away end and sell more tickets. People wouldn’t have liked that but at least it would have been honest.

9. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

East stand has 4 exits for 7500 people.
    North stand has 2 exits for 6000 people
    West stand has 5 exits for 2000 people

10. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The only assumption in what I wrote was that the new CEO had taken the bull by the horns.

11. TitusMagee

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    "The West Stand is no longer fit for purpose, as the wide spread abuse of the law during the rainy Millwall game demonstrates. The CEO will have been made aware of his legal responsibilities for safety and adherence to the laws of the land when he took the job."

None of this is fact. It is your opinion and there is no evidence to support this.

BMBC have stressed that the West Stand is safe.

12. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I am not trying to give a full account of the thought processes that the CEO used to make his decision. I am sure that in due course the CEO will do that. My reason for posting was to try and calm down the fires of speculation that were running through this thread. The reasons will be explained in full in the meetings that have already been arranged, and I am sure that if we are all patient, we will all get to know the true reasoning behind the decision. I was simply trying to point out that we have all been required to move at some time or another, and even though we probably did not want to move, we all got used to our new situation. It is really no big thing for the majority.

13. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's no big thing for you personally. I don't recall ever having season ticket holders forced to switch stands or take a refund mid season with no notice before.

You made a lot of assumptions yourself in your post then say you was trying to stop speculation. All you did was add more speculation whilst belittling the problems of other fans

TitusMagee likes this.
  14. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    At the moment, you are making an assumption that has not been confirmed. However, even if it is confirmed, I believe that the club should be run as efficiently as possible. I do not understand why running the club efficiently does not make sense to everyone.

15. TitusMagee

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    RR: "look let's not speculate unless it is me that is doing the speculating... where in that case it is okay."

Baldrick and SuperTyke like this.
  16. Loa

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can't remember anyone being asked to move part way through a season into inferior seats away from all the people they were sat with whilst the stand they were sat in is left empty.
    As somebody who has been moved away from everyone they have sat with for years the patronising tone of the message isn't particularly appreciated

17. TitusMagee

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    RR: ... "and any facts that come from third parties such as BMBC are not facts until confirmed by the club. Just speculation."

Shy Talk and Jimmy viz like this.
  18. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Even if the decision had been taken in preseason, the club would have either had to assume season ticket holders in the other two stands would all renew, or they would have had to wait until after a break point for renewals.

19. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Much better to take people's money and then kick them out

Redhelen likes this.
  20. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No. I assume that BMBC has issued a safety certificate, but the safety certificate does not cover everything, does it. Why don't we all just wait until the CEO responds.