Barnsleys a shithole

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by DEETEE, Nov 30, 2019.

1. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m sorry but for every “selling point” of wandering around the glorious Marylebone (a very dubious thing to boast about) and seeing where Paul McCartney lived, can be answered in similar fashion. Yesterday i left my house and within five minutes, was in the woods, overlooking the Peak District. I can’t do that in London ... i strolled around the Wentworth Castle Estate, learning about the history of the Earl of Strafford and his other estates in South Yorkshire... I can’t do that in London. And as for mince pies, local butchers and stouts. What are these luxuries??

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  2. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    is that the most passive aggressive thing ever written on the BBS?!

3. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

TitusMagee and pompey_red like this.
  4. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

5. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He has to be one stuck up snobby fcker.

SuperTyke likes this.
  6. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Today I've driven along the A406 North Circular Road, they ought to re-name it 5hitoyle Boulevard it passes through that many dumps.

7. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Currently in Danny Wilson's love child's house

Jordym93 and Marlon like this.
  8. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm 75% Taff - 25% Czech - lived in Barnsley for many years - love the place and the people (well most of them!) - a brilliant place to bring up children.
    - and a great football club.

And a serious question to what extent, if at all, does the place where you are brought up affect your character?

TitusMagee likes this.
  9. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To a great extent I would think. Growing up where I did you had all different levels of income. So some kids had nowt. some comfortable and some better off. But no one thought they were better than anyone else. Fantastic environment to grow up in and doesn't allow a them and us situation to arise. I'm quite comfortable in any company. Do I think the same would apply in an affluent area. I'm not so sure. That's not to say some don't have the same values. But some would look down on the more unfortunate in society. Same applies to a degree in what we called the generation of unemployed. Some grow up knowing nothing else. It has been a great problem because they were overlooked. To this end it's great to see some break that cycle. Would hope that everyone was given that opportunity. And to me only labour policies would go a long way to improving that. Margaret Thatcher once quoted behind closed doors there is no such thing as society. It was leaked out and showed what the Tories stood for. Survival of the fittest.

Redhelen likes this.
  10. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Its brill is that programme

GeorgeRobledo and Redhelen like this.
  11. Austiniho

Austiniho Well-Known Member

I accept your disagreement, but wholeheartedly stand by my opinion. Barnsley has been a massive influence on the person I am today. I’m sorry that you feel no connection to the place, it sounds really sad.

I am not a big fan of urban concrete sprawl, sirens, shouting, alarms, and smog. I much prefer the tranquil beauty of my Yorkshire countryside.

12. RedKen-dal

RedKen-dal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Smog ...

been talkin about smog recent. A thing of the past. Folks remember getting sent home from school when it rolled in? Wath comp boy me and remember feeling my way home, keeping one hand on the garden walls and imagining where I was. Try telling that to the youth of today...

Redhelen and Austiniho like this.
  13. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    thanks HF - one of the things I like about Barnsley people is that they don't think they are better than any one else nor do they think that anyone is better than them.
    They are not impressed with big cars big houses etc.

14. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can never understand people disrespecting their home town, I was born and bred in Barnsley and lived there for twenty odd happy years.
    We moved out to live in the dales for work reasons and now live just outside a Knaresborough.
    Have to be honest and say I love it up here and wouldn't be In a hurry to move back mainly because I have now been up here longer than I was in Barnsley. Still love to get back fo a visit though.

15. portsmouth tyke

portsmouth tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jesus, stop comparing **** sizes or my dad can fight your dad.
    We are all different,different opinions, outlooks, motivations, things that make us happy, one persons trash is another persons treasure, you dont like that, brilliant, you like that also brilliant, mines 8 inch without the blood

Redhelen likes this.
  16. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I used to think it was some sort of twisted joke that people on here used to criticise a certain poster who was slagging off his home town.

It's well documented that I've lived and worked for 30 odd years away from Barnsley, but I never viewed those other places as home. Barnsley is home and now I've retired - I've moved back.

Also, just in my bowling club, there are people who have moved to Barnsley from Norwich, Woking and America. They all tell me they love it here and no way will they ever move back. Some people have taste and some people don't.

17. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have we moved on to Black Pudding..

18. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When folk say bsly is a sh1 t hole
    the answer back to them is .....So I take it you are just passing through then .....

19. Jam

Jamo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure why this was dug up again but, having visited many, many towns and cities in the UK, Barnsley just isn't remotely near being the worst. Middlesbrough, Rochdale, Oldham, Watford, Luton, Slough, Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton...the list goes on and on. Barnsley has the Peak District on its doorstep (part of it lies within the Borough too), an up and coming town centre with many bars, eateries and a brilliant market, is right next to the M1 for getting away when needed, has very few properly crappy and dangerous areas compared to the likes of Sheffield, Leeds etc.

There are many better places, but to call it a shithole is doing it a massive disservice and just isn't true.

Chippy red, Redhelen, tosh and 3 others like this.
  20. Red

Red Rob Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've been lucky enough to live in 6 countries and many different towns and cities. Some were places that were seen as very desirable, others very much weren't. The key however is that each felt like home and I wouldn't change any one of them. Barnsley may not be a place that is top of many peoples holiday lists, but that doesn't mean it can't be a good place to live and bring up a family. For many people home is home, warts and all.

As an aside I currently live in London and never get the London bashing. There are huge perks to living here which only a small handful of cities in the world can offer. There are also large downsides. Like anywhere it's about making the pros and cons work for you.

Redhelen, 55&counting and Kettlewell like this.