BBC Salaries

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Skryptic, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    People may tune into certain shows because of the "talented" presenter although I'm struggling to think of any. Maybe Graham Norton. However, why on earth is Gary Lineker being paid £1.5 million to read the autocue on Match of the Day? I'm sure he would have done that for a tenth of the fee. People tune in to MotD for the football and nothing else. More often than not the punditry is an annoyance. I'd tell Lineker to sling his hook and get any old footballer to present the show. Craig Hignett would probably due it for less than £100,000. Can't see the viewing figures being affected one bit. Look at Sky when they sacked Keys and Gray. Had no effect whatsoever on viewing figures.

2. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oh dont get me wrong.

I hold the same opinion on all public bodies be it councils NHS or the education industry.

But to use your capita/bbc example say the beeb pay them 50m a year to service and enforce the tv licence what relevance does it have knowing steve in admin is on 15k a year paid for out of that pot.
    The big hitters fair enough i can see the point but most are already out there in the public domain if you know where to look...

As for my last comment.

The biggest demographic prosecuted for evasion is single mothers who rely on benefits.

3. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Until we get a full apology for, and the writers and 'stars' of Mrs Brown's Boys are jailed for abject shitness, then the BBC should have its charter revoked, and everyone else there should be sacked.

People can earn what they want, not a problem - but Lineker et al should remember that people are by law forced to pay for their salaries and show some humility, rather than pontificate & lecture on social media about how those same people should be thinking. It's interesting that in certain quarters those that rail against the excess of the 'fat cats' in industry are doing their best to play down and justify these salaries, possibly due to the fact that the recipients by and large here share their political views.

In general though, human civilisation deserves to die out when we think that by the accident of being born with a sporting ability someone is then worth £m's to read other people's words out.

4. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair, they must struggle to find ex-players that can actually read...

5. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely loads of times. Mainly at work as all wages at school are accessible to the Joe Public anyway so we always openly talk about which band we are on, there's no secrets at all. I also often talk to friends in other professions about how much they earn.

6. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Honestly? You want all the thousands of employees in call centres for outsourcers etc to have their wages published?

7. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Seriously?

8. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bit daft to think someone shouldn't be allowed to express an opinion because they are employed by the state.

Do you agree the nurses should be prevented from commenting about the health service because they work for the health service? A mate of mine who works for Unison is currently representing someone who is being disciplined for retweeting critcism of Jeremy Hunt. Should you job really stop you expressing an opinion?

Im no great fan of the BBC and think as Corbyn suggests a 20:1 ratio would be fair. At the same time it's niave to think they couldn't get more elsewhere.

9. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do the cast of Citizen Khan pay to be on the BBC?

10. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If they are working on government contracts then yes that information should be available. Take Capita pay just above nmw which they know the government will prop up with tax credits and housing benefit whilst paying their ceo 13 million quid + a year. I think that yes that information should be in tbe public domain. Provided to those commissioning the service. If government changes and the 20:1 ratio is implemented if they want the work they will have to provide pay transparency. It will also make taking equal pay cases forward more straightforward.

11. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It has some relevance if you are looking to control pay at the top in fact you need it as a benchmark. Top 100 FTSE companies that pay poorly, as a business model, because they know that the govt will pick up the slack whilst paying excessively at the top need to be monitored if they are accessing public funds. It also helps to locate patterns of pay for equal pay cases.

All this seems to me just a case of bash the BBC. I think there are straightforward ways to sort this out. Corbyn's 20:1 ratio would eradicate some pay issues. I have little or no time for tbe beeb.i only really regularly watch news programmes on TV and don't watch the BBC because of the extreme right wing bias in its political scheduling. At the same time I love music and listen the radio a lot. Particularly 6 music a lot so probably get my monies worth for my 12 quid.

12. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If taxes pay for the wages, publish them. If they don't, don't as it's not in the public interest.
    The wife's a nurse and if her salary got published for the work she does and the effort she puts in compared to this team of talentless titwanks then it should embarrass the sex abuse covering up BBC into coming back down to earth.

13. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  14. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I've said that I couldn't give a toss what they earn - but then to talk from a position of extreme privilege and comfort in order to lecture the proles is a bit much imho.

And the 'what aboutery' argument doesn't really stack up - nurses working within the NHS have an absolute right to bring problems to the fore - one has to just hope that their well paid bosses in NHS Trusts and so on adhere to whistleblowing policies.

15. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah, why not? Anyone who knew me could find out in two seconds what I earned when teaching if they wanted to (so long as they can count how many years I had been working there for). Same with my new job, all the support staff are on the same level - or are officially known as being on a level above - so everyone automatically knows what everyone is paid. As for talking to my mates, well we're mates, why wouldn't we chat about promotions/pay rises etc.?

Jimmy viz likes this.
  16. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are you saying that wealthier people should be encouraged not to give a toss about anyone else and shouldn't have freedom of speech?

Nurses, doctors etc are disciplined for airing their views. That's the reality we should move away from not embrace it. Imo.

17. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So its more about controling what people get paid in the upper levels of the private sector rather than anything else then.

18. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Once the private sector accept public money they should expect to be scrutinised as Mr Lineker should isn't that fair? Or don't bid for publicly funded contracts. I'd say that's important though equality issues are more so. Like I say it's easy to stop people like Lineker getting overpaid. Install the 20:1 ratio across the board in.all public sector/government jobs and all contracts outsourced to tbe private sector. Simple but effective.

Why are you.not 'outraged' at Capita using public money to.pay their ceo millions but the BBC annoys you?

19. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Subtlety seems to have flown out of the window on this thread :)

20. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely. I work in local government. People have pay grades with 4 bands within them and you increase incrementally over time. Everyone knows what grade a job is and therefore what the person doing it is paid

JamDrop likes this.