Been an odd season

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Jay, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    In terms of results it's more than likely going to be the best. Do you really think so judging by performances? I'm not saying there haven't been some very, very good ones, but, for example, which home games stand out for you? We blew Oxford away, but there have only been 4 other home matches where we have won by more than one clear goal. I thought the Luton game was a very good advertisement for League 1 football. A couple of others like Peterborough were enjoyable. But it's not been like watching Wilson or Bassett's teams destroy the opposition. It's been very professional, but I'm struggling to tally home games like Wimbledon, Bristol Rovers, Southend, Plymouth, etc etc with this amazing domineering season we've had. For me it's been odd, as I said in the op, in that for once we've got a team who know how to win when they're not at their best. A hell of an attribute.

2. bright red

bright red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I appreciate what you are saying. Of course Wilson’s team and Basset’s brilliant season stand out as does Norman Hunters team and odd Les Lea top scoring seasons. I am looking at it from the perspective of so many either horrendous or totally indifferent seasons over the many years of watching. I’ve been entertained this year. Enjoyed the 2-2 with Coventry the other weekend. Yes we miss loads of chances but at least we are getting them. Love seeing Cavare get the ball and power past players and make increasingly clever cut backs.
    I have a theory that in recent weeks our success or failure depends increasingly on how Mowatt plays. At his best he picks a fabulous pass or hits a cracking shot. Too often recently he is wide of the Mark with both.

3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I agree with you about Mowatt. At his best in this division he's unplayable and owns the field of play. He hasn't quite been up there recently. Although his energy, even when he's off form, is astonishing.

You're right of course,, compared to the average season this is head, shoulders and waist above; I'm just surprised how many points we've amassed when we're not consistently on top of our game.

4. wombwell-red

wombwell-red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sunderland should've scored at least two though in that game also. In fact they had the best chance of the match when Max Power decided to place his shot wide. I think we were the better team against Sunderland but to say we dominated the game is re-writing history there.