Been watching Barnsley almost 40 years

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Jay, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    And I've seen us perform far worse than we were today on many occasion. But it's rare that Iv'e seen us give so little passion.

Fair enough, in first half Wigan were better than us and I don't know what we're supposed to do about that when they have so much more money. But in second half they gave up. They offered **** all, but we never even troubled them. Did we have a shot on target in the entire 90 minutes? I can't remember one.

I get that you're hamstrung Lee mate, I really do, I know it's not all your fault, but today wasn't good enough, it wasn't even ******* close.

2. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

I think that you have to take the current performances in the context of where we are now. The league - even at this level - is more competitive and the overall standard higher than in the early 70's, say. We are probably paying good money to our players by historical and comparative standards. We have a ground that has been enhanced, and training facilities that are often stated to be the envy of many. So while this side is undeniably better than that of say, 1971 to 1974, what is being offered is totally and utterly unacceptable. For ten minutes we played at pace and with high energy. After that we slowly retreated and gradually allowed Wigan more and more space to get their game going. The defending would have shamed a Sunday league team. We frequently outnumbered their attackers at the back yet we could get nowhere near them. This is not because Wigan are a superb side (although they played quite well). It is because we were badly organised, unable to adapt to the way the game was going, and utterly lacking in passion or inventiveness.

I don't care who's identifying and signing the players. If Lee Johnson has accepted the role of 'head coach' his job is to organise and motivate the team. He also has a responsibility to react when things are going against him and to alter things to change the shape of the game. His head is so full of coaching methods and platitudes that his basic footballing instincts have been surrendered. I'm at the stage where I truly believe it will not be possible to sign enough players to alter the losing mentality of this team. And even if we do, how much do we trust Johnson's ability to get the best from them? The way this club is being run is slowly but surely killing my interest.

3. Dr Zazlos

Dr Zazlos Banned Idiot

L&T Transport LGV/PCV Instructor
    Agree 100%

4. tingleytyke

tingleytyke Well-Known Member

Used to be Shift Engineer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stats say zero shots on target. They could have played goalie when needed and we still wouldn't have troubled them.

5. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I must say I thought the performance yesterday was woeful & inept. There was no fight, passion or skill on show. After getting back in from the match, I thought it best to stay away from here, as anything I posted when so angry would've been filled ****, ***** & ******, making my utterances even more pointless than usual.:D
    I don't have any answers on how to correct the problems, I wish I did. Even if Johnson was to be removed from his position, sadly I don't see anything changing much. Groundhog day.

6. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure it needs loads, in the old days (I know, I know) you would look to go out and get an experienced leader someone with a year or two left that still had some pride and fire , make him captain and let him kick some arses (anybody who wasn't prepared to give their all could fk off). That I think would still work

7. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The youngsters have got to do a man's job. We are unable to attract players for £2,000 a week, so without someone pumping a load of cash in to attract better but greedy players, what can Johnson do?

8. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    you got plenty of time ? :D

9. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They were only better than us because the went 5 in midfield and we didn't match them

10. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    RUBBISH!!

They were better than us technically better organised and had the desire and know how.

11. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think that the problem yesterday was the same as we have seen all season. There are just too many youngsters in the team.

I have not seen any team play 3-6-1 (5-4-1) before. It is still 11 v 11 so it meant that the players on the field had to react to the way the opposition was playing and re-organise the team accordingly, but it needed an injury break in play before Johnson was able to get them together and revise the system appropriately. A team with a higher proportion of older players would have worked it out sooner and made the adjustment on the field.

Similarly, Ivan Toney, who has looked very promising in recent games was totally perplexed by the lack of space yesterday. I wonder how many times he has come up against three central defenders in his short career so far. He just could not work it out and left the field a very confused young man. There was no link to Winnall and it made Winnall look bad as well.

It seemed to me that Wigan had learned far more about us from our recent game, and had adapted their method of play as a result. They knew just how to stop us playing, they knew that the danger man was Adam Hammill and they knew if they stopped him, they stopped Barnsley. We need to find another attacking option, because Adam Hammill alone is not going to be enough. And we need some older heads on the park who can work out what is happening and work out how to change the game when things are not working.

Football is about outnumbering your opposition. This can only occur briefly and can only occur in a select area of the pitch. It is about creating 2 on 1 situations or 3 on 2 situations. In centre midfield/centre defence yesterday Wigan repeatedly created a 5 on 4 situation. Similarly, up front we saw a 3 v 2 situation develop and our front two were ineffective as a result. Wigan had better players than us. They were quicker and in the first half they worked harder. But effectively their system and method of play prevailed over our 4-4-2 showing how inflexible it is in the modern game.

12. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Winnall made Winnall look bad yesterday.
    There's a difference in not giving a fek and having a bad game imo

13. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Dunt agree wi that Marl, thought he looked up for it in First haif, second haif one or two of em hed their heads darn, first time I`ve seen em go through the motions this season. We were completely out thought yesterdi and many said playin 442 we would on occasion get ripped through the centre and that's what happened.

14. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Games 90 mins though mrs h . can understand his frustrations tbh but he wants to sit int ponty to know real frustration and without the pay packet .
    His attempt at one of the clear chances for a shot made it embarrassingly obvious he wasn't up for it ( putting it mildly) imo

15. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think that's how it should/used to work. But players now days get things coached out of them, just to justify the coaches jobs for me. Have you not seen the amount of times our players look to the bench for instructions. You can see the players asking, what do you want us to do now...

16. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Like I said one or two hed their heads darn, which makes me wonder if their is some dressing room unrest, but your reight they should all be busting a gut until the final whistle.

Winnall has been frustrated more than anyone this season and while his chance looked bad, he just fluffed it probably surprised at the opportunity.

17. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Rubbish but yet you then go on to say they were better organised.

18. tho

thomasevans Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The thing is, though, you play a recognised striker, because he can have a poor game over all and yet still stick a goal in. he is an instinctive goalscorer and we need him in there, even when having a bad one.

19. tho

thomasevans Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have always done well when appointing an experienced player as player-manager, or player-coach. Kevin Nolan anyone?

20. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I was referring to your the only reason we lost bit