Ben Williams again

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by troff, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bang on. You’re usually a poor defender if you have to make last ditch tackles like he does because you’re in the wrong position to start with.

2. wolvestyke

wolvestyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sadly, I agree. We all love to see a young player emerge and make it and as he's only 21 there's still time for him to develop but it is illustrative of the weakness of our team that he's a regular starter. It's also bemusing (at least to me) that the view was that he was a better option this season than Pinillos.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  3. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's coming in for a fair bit of stick in this thread. Some of it justified, but comparisons with George Smith? Ben Williams is a far, far better player then he was. That's really harsh.

I know it's the way of the football fan to be erratic/passionate with views and opinions after an awful defeat. We're all guilty of it. This seems a bit OTT though, especially blaming him for the goal from the corner and for not blocking the third one on the line. We're setup for the taller players to come and meet the corner. They didn't. Vokes free header. Goal.

4. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s nothing to do with being erratic after a defeat, many of us have been saying it all season.

5. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not that many were saying it the last three games. And the erratic-ness is the blame for every goal and the George Smith comparisons - believing he isn’t good enough isn’t erratic, it’s a fair opinion.

6. MexboroughTyke

MexboroughTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I admit the three games, prior to Saturday, he played well, but it doesn’t make my opinion erratic. I didn’t really think he was up to League One standard, if I’m honest.

ubique_tyke likes this.
  7. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Each to their own. I just think George Smith comparisons are massively unfair, short sighted, and way off. He's also not terrible with the ball at his feet, in my opinion.

Will he become a regular player in the Championship? That's a big ask. But at 21 if he has a lot more games like QPR, Millwall and Blackburn, and far less than against Stoke, he has half a chance.

8. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Because he did alright in them 3 games. People aren’t having a go at him regardless, but the majority of the time he’s gash. Even against Blackburn he nearly cost us with a miscontrol on the edge of our box.

9. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No idea what the problem is with Oduor but for me he's a better option than Williams

10. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For me Ben Williams puts in 100% effort in every game but lacks technique and pace to feature regularly at this level. He makes at least one mistake every game even if he's having a good game. Miskicks and passing to the opposition occur too often for my liking. George Smith was a very similar player but slightly slower. Both came up through the academy and featured regularly but Smith was released when better players came in. Smith was only 19 when he was released so the then manager must have realised he was not going to make it. I hope I'm wrong but I've a feeling Ben William's will follow the same path.

11. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cavare out of position would have been a better option than William's. God loves a trier but sadly I dont think he will make it.

12. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't remember Cavare being involved in three consecutive clean sheets this season .........

I know I'm on a hiding to nothing with this one :D

13. wolvestyke

wolvestyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it depends on whether we're starting with a back 3 (as we have since coming back) or a back 4. In a 4 it'd always be Oduor for me as he's technically much better but in a 3 they all need to be decent in the air and Williams is better than Oduor in the air imo. Given that I'd have had Halme as one of the three, particularly on Saturday against a physical Stoke side. Given we've set up as a 3 and that games are coming thick and fast I'm surprised that he hasn't stepped on to the pitch in any of the games since returning.

14. YTB

YTBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Dimi was always out of position. He was usually found 50 yards away from his man. :D

Menai Tyke likes this.