Biggest post-brexit issue

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Gally, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Irony alert.

2. Moblo

Moblo Active Member

Being Dutch
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  3. How

HowMuch! Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Considering most of manifestos aren't carried out in full all Dodgy Dave had to do was say "sorry I've changed my mind on that referendum " .
    Nobody could do owt for five years .

4. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Moblo likes this.
  5. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Emphasis mine:

But, of course, "people have always worked and lived abroad"...

Anybody who tries to accuse me of getting worked up about nothing regarding Brexit's robbery of mine and my friend's ability to move freely between countries should read the three paragraphs I've emboldened, and consider that the equivalent on the other side will almost certainly be similar.

You can do one if you want to try to convince me that living abroad has always been common, and nobody should be able to assume that this won't carry on into the future. Minimum salary policies we've had from this government have always been set well above the median salary - considerably more than I've ever earned apart from during a very short period, and more than any normal working person could hope to get when applying for a job in a new country. Moving to a different country will become the preserve of the rich and well-off again, and the rest of us will have to make our peace with living in a country that seems more insular and small-minded than ever.

The only glimmer of satisfaction I get from this whole thing is that the demographics are clear. By early next year there will be a majority for rejoining the EU even assuming that nobody has changed their mind, and with even Jacob Rees-Mogg suggesting that it could take half a century to recover from Brexit, I give it two general elections at the most before a party gets elected with the promise to open up talks about rejoining in their manifesto.

6. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I've just flipped the telly while having lunch and landed on bbc news which is showing sajid davids live speech. Its grim. I think the daily mail must have scoped it out for him.

The last few days have been extremely grim and its no coincidence its at the time of the tory conference. Hate, insulation, jingoism and mistruths to divide and conquer. Staggering he's said tolerant liberal and welcoming about a dozen times each. Sadly, they contradict everything else he's saying.

Moblo likes this.
  7. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I like the idea of a citizenship test based on British values. I think I'd fail - does that mean they will pay to deport me?

Moblo and TitusMagee like this.
  8. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Probably. After a public tarring and feathering, filmed and shown on all news channels.

9. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cool. That currently costs me a fortune each time from my favourite lady of the night!!

10. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Don't tell me, you googled the wrong Theresa May and it all snowballed from there....

11. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Worst case I'm going to claim asylum and move as a refugee.

Sestren likes this.
  12. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A friend had to take the citizenship test & 3 of us did some of the sample questions. I only just about passed. Some of the questions are ridiculously obscure & very badly worded. Funnily enough the English in them is appalling.

13. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    A few years ago when I had to register intent to marry, there was a citizenship "thing" going on in a near room as they swore some sort of oath. Ironic, that I felt particularly unbritish as decent human beings just trying to live their lives were submitted to a public humiliation ritual to make them "british".

14. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If Rees Mogg takes over the Tory Party we'll all be expected to stand up for the national anthem at the cinema. It'll all be worth it when I get my blue passport.

Moblo likes this.
  15. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    If there was option to pay £100 to keep my EU passport and have dual nationality, and the Treasury not get a penny of that.... I would very much do so. I might even overpay, to express my sheer delight and gratitude at having more in common with my European counterparts.

JamDrop, Sestren and John Peachy like this.
  16. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whats the criteria for moving to say Australia as a comparison.

17. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Australia and Canada are quite strict on immigrant. Canada unless you have a needed job can take up to 7 years. Australia is more complicated, but easier if you have family over there - https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1 - or large sums to invest (you could sell your house and buy a business). For instance, as a skilled worker without sponsorship and no relatives out there, I can't get a permanent visa to Australia, even though I am one of only a few 1,000 worldwide with my (in-demand) skills and certifications. A job offer would make that easier if they sponsored me.

New Zealand has a lottery IIRC, with a certain number picked at random each month from the unskilled category, but skilled workers are given priority.

18. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For the really paranoid about Brexit, don't read this:

19. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I've got to say, some people will look at that and call it for being a project fear/remain fantasy of worst case scenario.

The reality is that tory politics is highly Machiavellian in style and has huge backing in terms of hard money and research. The tories have always played divide and conquer and have constantly played dirty politics, whether within their own party for ultimate power, or with other nations. So to do something so underhand and in bad faith for personal ends to apportion blame elsewhere is not unlikely.

Various questions I've had this last week or so, how is May pushing for a deal that she knows she can't get that infringes the key pillars of the EU, is unpopular with left and centre, and is unpopular with the right? Why has there been an affront on the EU the last few days with cabinet members talking negatively about the EU, from Raab and May, to obscurely, Hunt and even Hammond. The tory position is always about winning power and protecting it, all else is secondary and just a game. Why has there only just been a harsh statement to confirm end of free movement to incite reaction from Brussels?

As it stands there is no way at all that chequers will get through. There are key issues with it on the EU side, and the extremists aren't letting it get through the commons with labour intent on trying to generate an election so it will be voted down.

I can see the tories wanting no deal for numerous reasons, and one of them being to try and walk away from any settlement bill at all. The flipside is that this has to be the highest risk approach that would smash the economy and create such bad blood as to set our tiny little island adrift completely.

I still can't bring myself to fully believe this government could wilfully seek such a destructive approach for the future of its people, and I can't see how they could successfully navigate blame avoidance.

I must admit though, I did have a conversation just yesterday where we both thought the events of the last week were almost like we were goading the EU to accept no deal and instead of convergence, there was explicit divergence from an acceptable mutual deal.

Bad times.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Moblo and Sestren like this.
  20. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think His Holiness Tony Blair''s comment saying "there's nowt like a bit of hardship to bring people back into line".. will be true. Have you seen how everyday prices have gone up.. all brexits fault off course even though it's not started yet