Bottom of the League.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Jimmy viz, Oct 19, 2019.

1. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That wasn't the point being made - we have always sold our best players, its the nature of the shark tank - we eat smaller fish, bigger fish eat us. Replacements have been come harder - because seasoned championship players are payed more then we have ever payed anyone in our history, including in the premiership - this cannot be underlined enough - we up our wage bill by 2-3 million this year - we are committing to 9 million pounds of extra costs in 3 years,

2. wak

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some of the worse signings in the clubs history have been both loans and older players who've added nothing but debt and poor performances - and the fans have been angry about both loan signings and old "has beens" on the way down. If you want to buy a seasoned championship striker who is under 30 then you need to find 5 million pounds in transfer and 20k a week at least - I'm not sure what part of this is hard to understand - we cannot afford reliable Championship players in a transfer from existing championship clubs. If you want to list players we could afford, who appear to supply better then we have got go ahead:-

Donny-Red likes this.
  3. She

Sheriff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We saw in the summer that under contract players who expressed a desire to leave got sold.

If we get through the January window with Mowatt and Woodrow still here I'll be astonished.

fitzytyke likes this.
  4. fit

fitzytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know all about us taking other clubs players and bigger clubs taking ours I've been around a long time.

What I don't undertstand is why ridiculously wealthy business men buy our club and show absolutely no ambition to better the team and their imagination is limited to selling everything and replacing with kids.

I don't agree that all experienced championship players are on a kings ransom. Millwall, Luton and Charlton aren't big hitters.

If we're just to roll over and say 'it is what it is' then it's a poor state of affairs.

What's in it for us?

5. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Your missing the point we didnt have to sell kieffer he had 2 years left especially with 4 days of the window left.
    We didn't have to sell both center backs and replace with younger rookies.
    We could have done with a older head loaned in to help these young ens but no it wont make us money.

We made profit our priority instead of staying in this league. Some on here are so up the owners arse with their heads in the sand they cant see all this we look like a cheap investment to me at the minute.

6. wak

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't understand the reference to their wealth - they cannot give us that money without breaking FFP rules, they obviously invested in us, because for the money outlayed we are the best supported club - they would have had to spend 3 times that to buy Brentford for example - the point is surely to turn a profit and build the club until it is worth more then that paid - end of story - and in order for that to happen there has to be a correlation with some success on the pitch, so clearly sending us to league 2 isn't going to help that plan, they may not get every decision right, but at the end of the day they did not come in to annoy you or destroy the club - they came in to grow the business, make money and fck off eventually.

7. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What’s my budget? What resources are you offering for me to conduct my search? Who is handling the contract negotiations? Setting a ridiculous hypothetical question does not forward your argument in any way.

Ronnie Glavin. Paul Wilkinson. John Hendrie. Neil Redfearn. Paul McShane. Trevor Aylott. All would be dismissed as too old in your brave new world. Not every player with experience will succeed not all will fail.

You realise that for over a hundred years we operated in a different way that was by and large more successful and that 90 odd percent of clubs in the football league operate in a different way. Are you suggesting that Luton and Charlton are fielding players like say Jacob Butterfield or James Bree that we cannot possibly attract or afford? Or that either club is in a better financial position.

by and large I support the plan. Certainly the Cryne version where you sign young players with lots of league experience and can occasionally amend your policy to add quality. A rigid policy of buying players with almost no experience and never utilising alternative markets won’t succeed as anyone with half a brain knows.

8. wak

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Moore refused to go to France, Lindsey refused to discuss a contract, Pinnock refused the best contract of any player in the clubs history,

9. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

FFP rules would allow us to lose 39 million quid over a 3 year period not that I’d advocate anything so daft

Success on the pitch is completely irrelevant in fact it may devalue their assets. What’s worth more a forward scoring 25 goals in L1or one scoring 6 in the Championship.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  10. fit

fitzytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How's about realising the potential of the club and having the ambition of filling the empty seats as well as looking to make a few million here and there on selling young lads on?

Jimmy viz likes this.
  11. wak

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We don't live in the world of Glavin, Hendrie or Redfearn. That was a different world, both Charlton and Luton will have a bigger wage bill - maybe we cannot afford Bree? He would be on 15/20k from Villa.

12. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    do you think Luton are paying 15k a week to loan James Bree. If so you are off your head.

13. wak

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We've not had 14k home fans since 1998-99 - before that it was in the mid-80s when we could get 14k in the ground, before that it was probably the 1930s.

14. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Adam Hammill. Matty James. Presumably also from a different era.

15. wak

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You think he;s playing for free?

16. wak

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Christ all mighty - back to the examples - I can provide them of gash loans and old men signings, it proves nothing

17. Ste

Steve Wood Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So are Luton paying massive wages compared to us? How much are they paying Crainie and Butterfield? Can we no longer compete with the likes of Luton, Charlton etc? Are those clubs risking bankruptcy or do they have rich owners prepared to spend more? Not having a go, just interested and largely ignorant of Championship finances.

How did Burnley do it? Have they got big money backing?

18. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think that Luton will be paying part of his wages. Certainly not 15 grand a week. Do you genuinely think they are? If so then it’s time to give your head a shake.

19. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The only way is up.

PS we were bottom of the league in December 2015.

20. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    it proves that we can attract good quality players regardless of age. Which you seem to believe us impossible.