Bournemouth settle with the EFL - FFP breach

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by wakeyred, Jul 5, 2018.

1. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They have agreed to £4.75 million to settle the dispute with the EFL over their spending in the 2014-15 season. Apparently they are no longer accused of any attempt to infringe the rules or deceive the EFL.
    Maybe this will put to bed the "miracle" of their success.
    So you get fined a small fraction of the prize you cheated in getting? Sounds fair.

BobT and churtonred like this.
  2. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If it was us we'd be in the Conference North.

3. robert.hall.545849

robert.hall.545849 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oh the romance eh ? If a club like fookin AFC Bournemouth can do it why not us ? If you look at the stats of promoted clubs over the last few years they’ve all spent “ beyond their means” but all now reside in the greed league . There’s no guarantee that spending will get you promoted but not one single club has achieved it without spending . The new board have the “ resources” so why not have a go and let’s have something to get excited about !

4. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So simple to fix. If found guilty automatic demotion and replaced by the losing finalist in the playoffs.

5. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    There are many clubs who have overspent outside the Premier League in the last few years and slightly before that too.

We'll be in the same league as two of them (Portsmouth and Sunderland), and if you look in the league above, Leeds, Wednesday, QPR, Forest, Ipswich, Derby, Bolton, Blackburn and Villa have all spent fortunes and are no better off for it. All are likely to have breached FFP, some are insolvent and its just a matter of time if they cant secure new lines of credit or at the whim of its owners.

Throw this all forward 10 years. What happens when all the wealthy owners have saturated the top 3 leagues and realise that only 1 club can win the Premier League, only 17 teams can retain premiership status, and there are only 2 notable cup winners each year? If you're spending millions, or you're doing it for glamour, ego, celebrity or vanity... most will fail and their fortunes will be less than when they started.

I've still no idea the intent of the new owners, but i don't get the impression they will be throwing money around like Wolves or Brighton did, and if they did, it could make the club insolvent or greatly indebted to those owners who at a whim might just decide to cash in their chips.

I'm neither negative or positive about our owners.... simply because there isn't any information to base an opinion on in the first months of their tenure. I do hope they engage more with the local fan base though. It's in their interest to do so and build bridges, build connections, build rapport and understanding.

Connor, TitusMagee, wakeyred and 4 others like this.
  6. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Like fixing the euromillions then being fined 500k and allowed to keep your winnings. Football's ******

wakeyred likes this.
  7. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good post DW

Kettlewell likes this.
  8. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is ridiculous that this is happening, but unless a team is relegated I assume the EFL are toothless to do much, hence clubs striking to seek a deal.
    Obviously for every Leicester & Bournemouth there is a bunch of clubs where the gamble has failed, spectacularly.
    Unless the financial rewards of the Premier League reduce (which looks unlikely) it will keep happening, although some might be deterred if a few of the "big clubs" go into administration, or even out of business.

9. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We keep hoping for some club to get punished one way or another JP and for years and years it's never happened.
    Unless you go down the leagues to the likes of Chester City and Boston United who get the book thrown at them.
    Dispiriting.

Kettlewell and John Peachy like this.
  10. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The problem with the relegation idea is that until said club finds itself in the botton 3 of the PL they are not members of the EFL and are therefore outside the juristiction of the EFL. The PL aren't gonna relegate one of its members because the EFL asked them to.

The best they could offer is to stipulate that when they finally do come down then they will drop a league further and re-enter the EFL in League 1. They could then reprieve the team that finished 3rd bottom in the championship that year to balance the leagues back up.

11. I'm Spartacus

I'm Spartacus Well-Known Member

Missionary
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's been going on forever, appeal after appeal, but QPR are still facing a £40m fine.

12. John Peachy

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think you misread what I was trying to say. The reason these 2 clubs settled was that until they are relegated the EFL can do nothing. That might be years away. By settling EFL gets money and said clubs cover their arses.

Your solution is a good one though.

13. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No, I was agreeing with you. I was just more wordy! :)

John Peachy likes this.
  14. John Peachy

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ah, you are in a minority then! LOL.

The creation of the Premier League has created a bit of a monster.

I'm surprised that, as we look at America so much, we don't look at how they run their sports. They realised many moons ago that this approach was to the detriment of the sport as a whole in their national games.