Bradshaw's partner next season

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Merde Tete, May 21, 2017.

1. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Pay them above our pay structure or stick them in the reserves until they sign. Both crap ideas but a good CEO will have all the answers. As you say the players hold all the cards unless we are kicking them out of the retained list.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

2. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Quality players with ambition are always going to be looking for the next rung on the ladder or 0 on their pay cheque. We have to accept that Barnsley FC aren't going to be able to extend many players contracts, no matter when we try to do it. The contract situation this season also meant that we couldn't cash in on all the players who were going to be free agents in the summer. We shouldn't automatically do that anyway. Sometimes the importance of a player to the team, at that moment in time, is worth more than the fee we can get.

churtonred likes this.
  3. pon

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    False 9 next season chaps and chapesses *stir alert*

4. onlyonesteviecooper

onlyonesteviecooper Well-Known Member

FireFighter
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And I get all that. Were never going to get the perfect system and us being in the championship makes it harder due to players seeing first hand the level of wages other players get. It just seems were penny pinching all the time and its as if the players almost know it.
    I know we cant offer daft money and would not condone that but we can certainly operate better. Look at Peterboro, always get top dollar for players and they dont pay wages we do.
    The CEO situation is riddiculous, we must have set a record for the length of time without one. The embarrasing situation that occured last week with a transfer offer that was sent to the St Mirren fanzine was toe curling and we possibly could have missed out on a potential good player due to not having a CEO (assuming a CEO could send it to the correct email address). We just seem to be playing at it sometimes.
    Im not bashing the club cos I love it and we also do some very good things but it frustrates me sometimes, especially when I cant remember the last time we had as much money as we do now with recent transfer fees, sell on fees and championship status.
    If we have learned from mistakes weve made this season then fine, but we cant keep making them.
    I had some work done on my house a few a years ago by a bloke who had just been working a Mark Robins's pad. He asked him about his time at Barnsley and he said he loved it but said in his opinion, there were non league clubs run better and more professionally. I balked at this and thought it was sour grapes but who knows.

5. pon

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As Robins's major gripe seemed to be the budget, that is probably what he means when he refers to other clubs being "run better and more professionally". Chucking money around like confetti.

6. leebrilleaux

leebrilleaux Well-Known Member

Student, yes a Student even at my age!
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My take on the subject - we need a Trevor Aylott/Ashley Ward/Neil Shipperly type of player to be the focal point of the attack and Bradshaw/MoncurA N Other to play off him. This said I'm not sure that one can be found within our remit/resources............. time will tell I suppose.

7. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Still think George Waring could do a job

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

8. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The thing is you cant make someone sign, & ufortunatley, a player will more than likely follow the advice of his greedy agent.

9. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    We've seen it posted many times, often contradictory, that the players said they weren't interested in contract talks. And nobody knew for sure. Hoped, but didn't know.

It is what it is, players have the power. Unless we want to offer huge wages we can't afford, we'll always struggle to get quality players to stay beyond 2 seasons

10. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didn't Conor say he would have signed if an offer was made last summer. Seems an honest bloke. Nothing in his actions would suggest otherwise.

11. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re read my post and the bit about a good CEO would know the answers didn't come across with the sarcasm it was meant. I agree with you the good players hold all the cards and we just have to enjoy them as long as they want to be here.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

12. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we're looking for a tall and gangly and experienced target man next season, whats Peter Crouch doing these days ? :p
    For me Bradshaw has been disappointing but we have to realise a lot of this team are playing at this level for the first time, and some of them have made the step up from Lg Two & the Conference!!
    So hopefully that little bit of experience they have now will be used wisely for next season. I hate the 1 man up front idea and Bradshaw certainly isnt the man to use if we do go that way.

13. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I never actually heard Conor say he would have signed if an offer was made last Summer. I DID hear Patrick Cryne say both Conor & Sam Winnall had refused to discuss a new contract. It was even recorded. Now Patrick seems an honest bloke and nothing in his actions would suggest otherwise.

14. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree. It's a bit strange all round. Glad I don't have to make those decisions (either as club or player)

15. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I hasten to add, old bean, that I'm not saying Conor didn't say that. After reading through my post again, I come across as sounding a bit arsey and I apologise for that, as it certainly wasn't my intention.

16. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No worries your not that kind and I didn't take it like that.

17. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thank you.
    My family are adamant that I'm turning into Victor Meldrew and it's difficult to argue with them when I read my post.

18. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Scoring for Stoke City today in the premier league & no doubt on a top salary befitting his experience with clubs & country.

19. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know, and the pinky face suggests I was being a bit sarcy when I asked the question lol.
    That really could be the sort of player we need though in a front 2 alongside Bradshaw. The trouble is, who are they and where are they, if they do exist in the lower leagues.

Red CB likes this.
  20. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Players like Conor, Winnall, Scowen and Watkins know for a stone cold fact they can double or triple their wages away from Oakwell. Why would they, in their right minds, sign a one year extension that would make it harder for then to achieve the higher wages elsewhere? I loved Conor and hated seeing him go but why on earth would he risk signing an extension that would put obstacles in the way of making himself financially secure for life?
    As far as I'm aware we've offered all the players we want to keep better contracts. It's irrelevant, they're unlikely to sign them.