Brexit wheels just come off in Richmond

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Durkar Red, Dec 2, 2016.

1. BBB

BBBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah, that's how it works. 1, one-off referendum. There should be no attention paid to any public opinion after that as to how and when we go about doing it. That's completely Theresa's prerogative.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

.........unless the Supreme Court says differently! :)

3. CrossTyke

CrossTyke Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think my original quote was acurate enough.

4. CrossTyke

CrossTyke Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well it didn't vote to remain . You'd never get 100% in any political vote. If the vote had gone in favour of remain would you say it's ridiculous so say Britain has voted to remain.

5. CrossTyke

CrossTyke Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

How do you know which way the 'first time' voters voted . Did you see their ballot paper ? Maybe they don't usually vote because they feel no affiliation to a political party but felt strongly about leaving the EU. I don't know the answer to that , what I do know is they've as much right to vote as a regular voter so it's not an issue.

6. CrossTyke

CrossTyke Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Why shouldn't there have been a referendum when a high percentage of the population wanted one. The majority voting to leave showed it was justified.

7. CrossTyke

CrossTyke Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How could they when they are not in government??

8. CrossTyke

CrossTyke Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    True but all major parties say we will now leave following on from the majority vote, admittedly on what terms we don't know yet.To say the vote in Richmond means the wheels have come off the country's moves to withdraw from the EU is naive.

9. CrossTyke

CrossTyke Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Its down to the elected government to make it happen yes.

I never said there shouldn't be any notice taken of people's opinions after.

10. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No government can consult with the British people and then simply put two fingers up to them because they do not like what they have been told. It is just not possible.

Unfortunately, we now have to go through a charade of trying to negotiate a soft Brexit ... And failing. At that point, the government can return to the British people and say, "look we tried, we gave it our best shot in all good faith, but we have failed to get the terms that we wanted and we believe that the country will be worse off if we proceed on these terms. At that point, the decision will be put back to the country in a second vote with all party support for the status quo.

11. BBB

BBBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Now that sounds like sensibility. However, you watch the backlash if they try to say we can't leave the EU because doing so will bugger the country financially and socially, even after years of negotiation.

A fiver says May will be bumped and Johnson becomes PM within two years.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

12. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think that Trump will ensure that blonde air heads of whatever sex are never trusted with the reins of power again.

13. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But its gone past a trading zone as per its original mandate. By a long shot.
    Its now almost a sovereign entity in its own right. Currency. Parliament. Judicial system...
    Now wanting to form its own army...
    Trump is barking mad however trump has made as part of his mandate to develop stronger ties with Putin while the British government have sent troops to the polish border inder Eu instruction...
    Which given that both world wars to you yourself were largely european in origin doesnt bode well really....

14. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

There's an awful lot that is sensible about that approach. For the time being however, the EU is maintaining the line that negotiations do not begin until Article 50 is triggered. If that line holds, then the choice after two years will be exit on the deal we have negotiated or on no deal at all. This is why it is so important for Parliament to have some control over the government before Article 50 is triggered.

Practically though, the Italian referendum, and forthcoming polls in France and Austria may further hasten the breakup (or total reform) of the EU in any event. The clueless stance of our government and consequent inaction may therefore be the best thing that can happen while we wait for that. We should be pursuing Cameron for all this mess.

15. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly

16. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The greater the rise of the Nationalist Parties in the E.U. the greater the threat to the Union.

Keep an eye on this weekends Italian referendum - look at the rise of the German AfD. Hungarian Jobbik, Front Nationale, the Dutch Nationalists.

12 months from now the E.U. will be in a terminal decline.

17. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not sure the point you make with this. So the way to tackle nationalism is for us (and others) to become insular and turn our back on cooperation and integration?

18. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So why do you think nationalism is rising?

19. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    As I witnessed it in polling station and it being all over the television and media It was pretty obvious.
    How you can dispute that when it is common knowledge , I know loads who voted first time.
    As for your assumption that I was questioning their right to vote for first time your wrong.
    I was just putting the point that as they don't vote regularly mps will be wary that most of the Remainers were regular voters and not being able to rely on sporadic voters makes their seats at elections vulnerable and may act accordingly .

20. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Inequality. Was ever thus. Blame of the other. It certainly has never been solved by being inward looking.