Brexit wheels just come off in Richmond

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Durkar Red, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd agree with that. Carried on using the figure when told not to by the Electoral Commission. Should be prosecuted and stripped of office. I do believe that slogans like that convinced some people.

2. dek

dekparker Well-Known Member

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    that will never happen

3. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Our politicians are our elected representatives and you could argue that they represent our society and should be above approach. That they are not, and we have allowed them to get away with it, to our shame, for far too long. We should be able to take them at face value and trust that they are telling us the truth and give us the facts and figures we need to make informed decisions, not soundbites, half-truths and outright lies (with the exception of official secrets).

Any of them that is caught fiddling expenses, or deliberately deceiving the public during an election campaign should be banned from office. However, they won't do that as they are all eating from the same trough.

4. Rosco

Rosco Well-Known Member

Optimist
    Born in Birdwell, living in Sin (well...Cheshire).
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    She/they knew exactly what they were saying and they knew that the people they were aiming it at were gullible enough to swallow it.

It's not just telling an outright lie, it was the calculated way they put in just enough 'fact-ish' material and plausability knowing full well it was complete hogwash that could never happen.

5. Gloria Stitts

Gloria Stitts Active Member

Liberal Democrats to change name to Authoritarian Plutocrats.

6. upt

upthecolliers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's a RED WHITE and BLUE brexit now ;) its a laugh a minuet with this P.M. May she as, as much idea as man in't mooin.

7. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What's your idea of Brexit then?

How do you think we should go about it?

8. upt

upthecolliers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who's that aimed at?

9. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think we should get on with it as soon as possible. We gave people a voice and it's only right that we hear that voice. At the same time parliament should have the final say on the terms of that withdrawal and the government should be accountable for what and how it negotiates.

10. Gloria Stitts

Gloria Stitts Active Member

I suggest you read what they actually said, rather than twisting it.

11. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

Accepting that 'Out' won the argument and we're leaving, do you think that the 48%/16.5 million 'Remain' voters should have some say in how we exit? With a 52/48 split, should there not be some degree of compromise?

12. fre

fred dibnah Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes but I wouldn't accept leave won the argument they just managed to pillock a lot of gullible people!

13. dek

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    the vote was for out,simple as that,a one vote majority would have done it,thats what happens in a referendum.Maybe the out campaign would have tried legal challenges had they lost but,just like now,it would have made no difference.The 48% lost and must accept the democratic vote.
    there was nothing on the ballot paper about hard or soft brexit,it was in or out.
    i dont believe anyone was pillocked by the magic bus,all the leave voters i know made their minds up long before that had its graphics installed.

14. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I suggest you go back to the mental ward. We can't always get what we want in life.

15. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's we elect politicians to monitor decisions on our behalf and why it's important that there is a vote in parliament. In my opinion it should be a 'free' vote but it never will be.

16. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would you be happy if we had a very soft Brexit. Remained in the single market and accepted free movement of people but still exercised article 50 and left the EU? Genuine question.

17. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

Fact is folks, the 'hard brexit/soft brexit' debate is totally academic. The Chief EU negotiator has made it clear that the Brexit negotiations won't even cover trade. No surprise there - it will take years to sort that out, with all the underlying uncertainty that that will bring. The Article 50 negotiations will concern our continuing contribution to the EU budget while we disengage, and our ongoing liability for EU civil servants' pensions (some of whom are our own). Until the Article 50 period ends and our break with Europe is confirmed, our trade relations are those of an EU member state. They can only be negotiated once we are out. That is a bombshell that I don't think many have yet appreciated. Furthermore, if we negotiate trade terms with the EU after our exit, each deal we strike with a non-EU country will require us to revisit the EU terms because of the effect of the customs union, as I understand it.

18. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Did you watch the trial today? I'm not 100% familiar with the legalities, but the NI representatives were quite insistent that Article 50 would have serious repercussions for the Good Friday Agreement, which is a treaty registered with the UN and part of the constitution of the Republic. If I understood correctly (and I probably didn't), that would suggest that Brexit cannot legally happen without the approval of the devolved assemblies. In Northern Ireland they have something called consent, where any of the elected parties can block something they object to (and one of them objected to same-sex marriages). Given that both Scotland and NI were Remain areas, then it is unlikely to be allowed through both parliaments and even if the NI assembly approves it then any one of the minority parties can block it.

So, it *could* turn out that the government were not in a position to even offer the referendum as a leave vote cannot legally be allowed under the constitutions of Britain and the devolved regions.

19. dek

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    no,i dont accept free movement of people,i see no reason why we cant chose who we need,whether that be fruit pickers or brain surgeons,if we need them then all well and good but if they are just queing up,then no,we cant just carry on taking everyone in.i'm not on about refugees here by the way.its a complex issue,so no easy answers,but i'm in favour of an aussie style approach

20. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair enough. That's your view and I can see lots of merits in it myself. But the referendum was on membership of the EU wasn't it? So if the government in its discussions triggers article 50. We leave the EU but we come to a Norway style arrangement where we accept the free movement of people in change for market access. Then you and those who voted out could not really criticise them could you given that it was a simple in out referendum and not one about the finer points of how we left. Not everyone who voted leave will have voted with immigration In mind Many on the left voted out as they see the EU as a method of promoting capitalism. They would get the Brexit they voted for if we did leave but retained the movement of people. So if they got that and you didn't would that be fair. And if you got what you wanted and they didn't would that be fair. Like you said a complicated issue.