But will you press the red button

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by andytyke, Jun 2, 2017.

1. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't think anyone could accuse Seamus Mallon of being a dodgy ex terrorist.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seamus_Mallon

2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I just don't agree that the NHS is going to be privatised and I'd be willing to have a charity bet with you that it hasn't been privatised by the end of the next parliament if the Tories win on Thursday.

It's in a state, I don't deny it, but this is the fault of both political parties and socio-economic factors resulting from bad decisions made by both parties when in government. It needs overhaul, it needs a cross-party root and branch review, and it needs to be radically changed as a model because it is not fit for purpose in 2017 and hasn't been for some time.

Pouring more and more money in cannot be the answer because in reality this is unsustainable.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Xerxes and PLOBBY like this.
  3. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    It won't be privatised as that would be political suicide even by right wing Tories.
    It will be downgraded to third rate care by stealth as is what's happening now.
    Soon the NHS under its current stewardship will be a glorified first aid station within a private insurance led institution .
    My computer is inundated now with ads for private medical insurance with cheap gimmicks,but as we all know once feet are under table the good policies will be out of most people's reach .
    The fact that this govt is happy for corporates to rape our resources and run of with the massive profits that should be ploughed back into our society instead of making individuals so rich and powerful that they stash the wealth away from us whilst we suffer is grotesque beyond belief .
    Don't mind anyone doing well for themselves whilst they are exploiting our resources ,but to run off with almost all the profits is disgraceful there's plenty for everyone without for eg individualswanting three half a billion pound yachts wtf.

4. upt

upthecolliers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On Monday I have to take my 92 year old father from a live in rehabilitation centre in Darfield to Barnsley Hospital fracture clinic in my old van because there is no Ambulance available to take him.
    Think what you want but let me tell you this it's going to get worse if this lying woman gets back in power and shame on any one who blames anything else than the 7 years of Tory cuts.

5. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Unless he was at the gatherings himself then I presume he is accepting the words of terrorists.

Our current government sells arms to countries that support radical Islam and give them to terrorists I personally think that is a more pressing matter. Don't you?

6. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    BFC Dave likes this.
  7. BFC Dave

BFC Dave Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
  8. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  9. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I didn't say it was perfect, far from it. I know there are serious issues that need addressing. As I said funding is not the only problem, I don't even even think it is the main problem. Throwing money at it is unsustainable so there has to be a real discussion with MPs from all parties looking for a way to remodel something that is clearly failing.

Just blaming one party or another isn't going to fix anything.

I do agree that it's pretty bad that your Dad can't get an ambulance because I know from first hand experience that ambulances are made available to some folk who don't need one.
    This is just one of a plethora of problems within the NHS and somebody is going to have to have the backbone to really take on the problem of reforming it even if that means making some difficult and unpopular decisions.

10. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    "Every few years the London Labour Mp Jeremy Corbyn indulges his romantic support for Irish republicans".

11. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  12. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    You're right about the NHS struggling under different govts.
    Thatcher and Major almost brought it to it's knees and a labour govt was elected just in time to save it.
    Blair was far from perfect in his tenure but at least he grasped and upheld the principle of Bevan .
    Browne carried on same but imo wasn't in long enough to put a judgement on his tenure but with him being labour I'm confident he would at least have tried to uphold the principle.
    Now the Tories have been in powers over the NHS for seven years ( they wouldn't let their lib dem partners anywhere near it) and it's in absolute ruins.
    To say that both parties are to blame for its current state is either naive at best or blatant Tory favouritism defending the indefensible imo.

BobT likes this.
  13. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They were huge public events, and I'm sure the top brass of the SDLP would know virtually everything going off in Ulster .

14. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Blair far from perfect understatement of the year that clown has brought my local nhs trust to breaking point and no doubt many more across the country with the PFI arrangements.

15. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No offence mate but you are grasping.

You failed to answer my question what's more important what someone may or may not have thought 40 years ago or selling guns to regimes that pass them to terrorists that kill our people in the streets

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fan Forum mobile app

16. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Blair with PFIs and open door immigration didn't help at all but let's just pretend they weren't a problem.

Just ignoring the issues and blindly blaming a party just because you dislike them isn't going to help either. The pressure the NHS is under due to many factors is the problem. We can't keep on pretending that it is 1950.

Times have changed, the demands on the NHS have changed. That's not being naive, it's being realistic.

17. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What may be important to you is something that you know nothing about from 40 years ago it seems more important to me to elect someone who will stop flogging arms to Saudis and others who support and promote radical Islam and then pass a percentage of those weapons onwards to those terrorists. To elect someone who doesn't help terrorists by removing 20,000 coppers from the streets. But aye long dead arguments are more important than protecting our kids. You may be right. I may be wrong. Being soft on terrorism and soft on the causes of terrorism may be a worthwhile strategy.

18. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Genuine question JC. Why has Corbyn voted against every piece of anti terrorism legislation that has gone through the house of commons including the TPIM legislation when he was only one of four MPs who voted against it.

19. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Can't see where I have ignored the issues I'm well aware of the issues facing our NHS.
    As for a party I don't like your right about that but with good reason .
    The right wing Tories solution is a fee paying system they have never hidden that fact and always bring it forward when the Tory front benches want their vote on other policies.
    As for PFI ,the principle was there from new labour ( another party I dislike by the way ) but the cost should have gone to central govt not the trust's.
    If PFI had not happened the situation would be far worse with dilapidated hospitals or no replacements for closed hospitals.
    My critism of the Tories is far from blind coming from Barnsley it's in front of my eyes all the time, ignoring what they have done to our town is a choice others opt for.

20. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think May and Corbyn's record on that is remarkably similar

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40111329

Though I presume for vastly different reasons. Corbyn's I presume would be about it having the appropriate checks and balances to prevent abuse and a totalitarian society. Though I don't agree with it I understand it. may's surprises me actually.