Can anyone explain why Mark Sampson has been sacked

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Farnham_Red, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree, to the best of my knowledge Brady wasn't picking the team.

Regarding lecturers and students, it's only an issue if the lecturer is in a position to grade the student's work and therefore influence can be exerted either way. I know two PhD students in my dept who have had open relationships with supervisors. In both instances they are now married with children.

2. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If Redstar and yourself are referring to positions of trust then the law relates to Person A being in a position of trust as defined by the Sexual Offences Act 2003 and Person B being under 18.

To my knowledge a relationship of sports coach/player does not fall within the definition, provided that the coach isn't coaching in an educational setting (PE teacher etc) and Person B is a pupil.

From what I've read of the Sampson saga it appears to be a question of ethics as opposed to a legal issue.

Kettlewell likes this.
  3. Plankton Pete

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree. For clarification, most university students are over 18.

4. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Its 20 years since I worked for a Uni, but at the time we could have a relationship with a student - but we had to report it to the management. It was an open rumour that at least one (male) student per year got better grades by involving themselves with one of the (male) lecturers...

5. Plankton Pete

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Eni Aluko approached the Guardian with a story alleging that Sampson used language that could be deemed racist. The Guardian investigated and pointed out inadequacies in the FAs inquiry(s) into this allegation. This was the story. In isolation the comments Sampson is alleged to have made could be misconstrued/deemed as being racist (he asked a mixed race player how many times she'd been arrested and warned another about catching ebola from her Nigerian relatives). Could easily be banter. Especially if for example he asked the scouse players if they robbed cars etc. The fact is the FAs inquiry was so shallow the circumstances and context was never explored nor was one of the players involved even interviewed. The FA in their haste to save face have then sacked Sampson for having relationships with players before he became England head coach. Something they knew about since 2013. The FA is at fault here, for not investigating an allegation properly and consequently not dealing with it in the appropriate manner.

Kettlewell and JamDrop like this.
  6. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with this. I don't know whether he's racist or not, perhaps he's just a bad comedian, but the FA didn't investigate properly from the sounds of it and have now gone in the opposite direction. Anything for a quiet life.

7. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If Mr Sampson feels aggrieved then he will presumably appeal his dismissal to the EAT.

Kettlewell likes this.
  8. Eut

Eutychus Active Member

Anne Hathaway\'s holiday cottage Staincross
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can he do that if he's simply been fully paid up for a fixed term contract?

9. Del Rosso

Del Rosso Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Seems to me keep investigating until a decision is reached to satisfy Miss Aluko and the PC crew a bit like the Remoaners bellyaching

Xerxes likes this.
  10. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    EDL UKIP Talk. a.h

11. Del Rosso

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I covered the issue of togetherness too mate it was obvious the team play for him and respect him fully we're entering a 3rd investigation after being cleared by the 1st 2 it's beyond embarrassing for the FA

Xerxes and Plankton Pete like this.
  12. Plankton Pete

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Or do it properly and deal with the findings appropriately. Sack him or back him.

13. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What I don't understand about this thread and other posts on social media elsewhere about this is: we don't know whether he has done anything wrong or not. In fact, the FA have sacked him and two women have complained about him which suggests that he probably has. At the moment, he could have done wrong, he also could not have done. However, there seems to be a disproportionate amount of people really angry at Eni for 'playing the race card' and a very small amount of people being neutral or on her side when surely it should be about equal? It's as if the very idea that someone might be discriminated against is inconceivable. I've found people, white males especially, tend to become extremely defensive as if it is them personally being blamed. I'm not sure if it's out of fear that if this case goes in favour of the black person, that they are now in danger of all black people calling them racist or what but it's slightly weird just how many are quite angry in their posts. You see the same thing happen when women come forward with rape allegations, lots of defensive men displaying anger towards the woman as if they are now concerned that all men will be tarred with the same brush.

Django, Bossman, JLWBigLil and 2 others like this.
  14. Del Rosso

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If there's overwhelming proof which appears to be in short supply then sack the man it does seem that the Eni Aluko saga failed to produce a sufficient reason to give him the dull thud so they've acted on allegations from his previous club surely this smacks of a lack of due diligence by the FA
    I suspect Sampson will in due course sell his story to a newspaper and then a counter story by the accuser then a lengthy libel case it's a farce of epic proportions

15. Plankton Pete

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    At the risk of repeating myself, the FA haven't tried hard to find this out.

FA: Mr Sampson you've been accused of being a racist, are you?
    Mr Sampson: No.
    FA: Ok, as you were then.

16. Del Rosso

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think even the FA went a tad deeper than that but I get your point it's a mess that appears to be getting messier unfortunately

17. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why did the FA pay Eni Aluka £80k in compensation if the complaint was groundless
    i thought the FA paid her £80k in compensation but didn't find there was any racist connotation in what he said ,why pay her compensation if nothing happened

18. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's a pity the FA didn't deal with this properly when they had chance. But it is good they have dealt with it now - better late than never. The Catholic Church has provided numerous examples of inappropriate behaviour (and worse) being swept under the carpet only for the person(s) concerned to cause harm further down the line. Good that the FA have now acted and let's hope that is a warning to others who feel they can act with impunity towards those to whom they owe a duty of care. As I said earlier, if Mr Sampson is aggrieved, he will not doubt apply to the EAT and seek damages over and above his contractual rights if he feels his reputation and job prospects have been damaged. If he doesn't, we will have to draw our own conclusions.

19. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No chance. If they've paid up his contract in full it will be because he will have signed a water tight non disclosure agreement and waived any claim against them.

You talk about lack of concrete proof which is true. But people in here are willing to label her as "playing the race card" without any concrete proof she made it up.

Plankton Pete likes this.
  20. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Apparently because she had a central England contract but her involvement was untenable, so they paid her off.

This sacking is also allegedly nothing to do with the Aluko allegations.

Despite the fact that the fa knew everything they’ve sacked him for already.

I doubt whatever he’s done is a sackable offence but we don’t know for sure so I’ll reserve judgement there. What I will say though as I already have is that the fa are a joke and unfit for purpose.