Concerned

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Brian Mahoneys Waist, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd be more concerned if other teams weren't interested in PH.It would mean we'd be languishing at the bottom of league one.Lets take any interest as a compliment to the work he's doing.

nezbfc, occook and Red CB like this.
  2. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't think anyone is looking at it like that.

Whilst we all understand that interest in players and managers mean we are doing things well.

What I think people are worried about is that we all to easily let people go.

Understand that we may not attract some if we took a hard line and I get that too.

But we need to strike a balance that doesn't leave us wide open and with a view that we can better than the previous season ad opposed to risking staying still and totally rebuilding every year.

It's hard I understand that but we can do better in some areas

3. Zeb

Zebedee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly. It's like Hecky said last season about other teams coming in for our players. Shows we're doing something right. We never feared a 'big' club swooping in for the likes of McEveley, Mellis, Wiseman etc did we. That said, it is frustrating knowing that most teams in our division could plausibly take anyone in our team or our head coach if they wanted.

4. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Yes - but the reason we let players/managers go too easily is because there's relatively no money behind the scenes at Barnsley.
    If there was money then other clubs would know if they did come calling then it would cost them dear.

Less so now - but over the last 10 years we have more or less been giving players away.
    Sunderland will realise it's not going to take much to compensate Barnsley for Hecky compared to say trying to get Wilder away from the Blunts.

So we are stuck between a rock and a hard place - we want success but we know that success is likely to be short lived in comparison to other clubs in the Championship because we are more likely to lose players/managers if we do have that success.

The sooner a new owner with money is at the club the better for all concerned.
    And as there was no news about this at last nights supporters meeting - this then became one of the principle reasons for the disappointment.

Kettlewell likes this.
  5. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I get what you’re saying YN but another factor is that PH is on a rolling contract so presumably the compensation element is minimal as opposed to where a manager is under contract with say two to three years to run, like a Wilder for example. Now I’m not an employment lawyer so that could be rubbish, @Chef Tyke might be able to clear that up if so.

6. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley

Doesn’t really matter mate - it’s not the length of term that’s relevant - there is a separate clause in the LMA precedent that deals with compensation and liquidated damages

MappRed likes this.
  7. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for clearing that up, it was just something that was mentioned in PH’s RS interview this morning.

8. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Just Listened to that

Think he confirms what I’m saying - you can have a 20 year contract but the only relevant item when it comes to termination is the clause regarding damages and compensation

Football managers contracts are slightly atypical and all the ones I’ve dealt with use the LMA model contract. Notice clauses are rarely more than a season.

Anyway at the end of the day it comes down to this - if Sunderland want Hecky and offer him enough money to go, he will go.

Journo Tyke likes this.