Consistency is the key

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by JLWBigLil, Jan 15, 2006.

1. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not only over a series of matches , but over the 90+ mintues of a game . We are definitely struggling big time at the moment in that respect . However , so were Southend prior to Christmas ( even more so than us ) , but , all of a sudden , a series of decent results and they're top of the table . All is not lost . What I think we need is for our top players to start performing again , something that hasn't happened since the cup win at Bradford . Whatever the reason , it's a sad fact that the likes of Devaney , Shuker , Hayes , McPhail etc have simply not produced the goods this last month . A couple of league wins , though , and we'll be back on track .
    Keep the faith .

2. Gue

Guest Guest

too right

3. Gue

Guest Guest

dont you think that is a coincidence that most mentioned above are midfielders and we have been playing hoof the ball up from defence to the strikers totally bypassing the midfield

4. EastStander

EastStander Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well we've a good opportunity to start putting that right

At home to bottom of the league on Saturday although we know Danny will have them organised.

Just hope we don't go to extra time on Tuesday

5. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree 100%

When we've played the oppostion off the park , it's because we've played the ball through midfield and utilised the strengths and different styles of our wide men . The times we've hit the ball long , our strikers have not held it up , we've lost our pattern and control over the game , thus the performance suffers .

6. Gue

Guest Guest

RE: Agree 100%

that is what i mean shuker and devaney have not done anything for the last month or so and that is when the long ball stuff came into our game, so we need to get back to playing the ball on the floor and variating our play as we had done which earned us an 11 unbeaten run and totally domintaing the games and being entertaining aswell

7. Gud

GudjonFan Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Huddersfield and Swansea were awful at Christmas

They were back on track this weekend though.

8. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes , you're right

Once we've got everyone fit , the size and quality of our squad should see us in good stead for the run in . I wonder if the likes of Colchester , Brentford and Southend could say the same ? Also Swansea , Southend , Colchester and Chesterfield have all to come to Oakwell and I doubt very much that they'll be rubbing their hands in anticipation at the prospect .

9. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed

Hopefully we can get back on track next Saturday .

10. Gud

GudjonFan Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Defeats are no so bad, it's the draws that I hate!

The report on TV this morning reminded we had only lost 2 games out of the last 18.

Draws killed us last season didn't they? We were managing to avoid them this time around. However, we have now had four in the last six. If we had won three and lost three, we would be two points better off and in the playoff spots again.

11. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Correct

I think we're much more likely to get three points in a game when we play to OUR strengths ( keeping the ball on the deck and playing to feet ), rather than hoofing the ball long , which usually results in us playing to the strengths of less talented opposition . Three wins and a defeat is always more preferable to two wins and two draws .

12. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  13. Ome

Omen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    we wont get consistency while ever he chops and changes

and he admitted he would keep chopping ang cahnging to keep people fresh. I wish he would just play the same team as often as possible and if we get a nice lead then give the players a rest.

We should be putting the best possible team out every week. If their forms suffers from too many games then they get dropped and someone else takes their places.

Look at Man Utd from their tinkering!lol

We still need a CH brought in! If we get injuries again once the window is closed we will be fecked again. And we need competition for places at the back too.

14. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes , I'll go along with that

Change for the sake of change very rarely works .
    I think we must be looking at bringing in another central defender . If we weren't , what was the point wasting time by going in for Steven Watt , Graeme Lee and Steve Foster this last week ?

15. Gue

Guest Guest

RE: we wont get consistency while ever he chops and changes

<h4>He likes to keep his strikers &quot;sweet&quot;</h4>

Bloody Hell</p>

The Manager must have, and hopefully will show, some semblance of a ruthless streak in team selectin and tqactics, at some point in order for us to win a game</p>

Willl he?</p>

[​IMG]</p>

Nope - thought not</p>

Not hopeful I am afraid.</p>

16. Gue

Guest Guest

RE: we wont get consistency while ever he chops and changes

Ritchie seems to think that we have the same strength in depth that the likes of Chelsea have and we dont. We cant rotate people like they do cos we don't have enough good players. I'm afraid he is living in dreamland. He has to try to decide what the best team is and play it as often as possible, only making changes when absolutely necessary.

17. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So called "less talented opposition"

like Gillingham who were described as a &quot;Ale House Side&quot; by Mick Tarmey know that usually all they have to do is &quot;mix it&quot; a little and our so called &quot;talented side&quot; generally dissapear.</p>

It's true that we look a much better side when we play it on the floor. But all too often we have not got the grit to force our styleon other teams and resort to the easy long ball, or defending the penalty box and inviting teams onto us</p>

18. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've never been one for..........

......chopping and changing. Wilson played a settled side and more importantly a settled system so that when we did have to make changes people slotted in and out of the side quite smoothly.

Bassett used to change the side and system quite a bit to reasonable success (eg Van Der Laan caused chaos up front against Blackburn) but it often meant that the football as a spectacle was not that great.