COVID-19

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Nottinghamtyke, Feb 29, 2020.

1. David_Upper_East

David_Upper_East Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This has the potential to wipe out large areas of the Upper East Stand!

2. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm buying multiple packs of beans just in case.
    The wife is investing in a locksmith, non coronoravirus like , she's smart that lass.
    We're doomed !!

3. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Genuine question... the World Health Organisation have just stated that the mortality rate od Covid-19 is 3.5%. Now does that include an estimate including all the unreported cases. i.e. someone is unwell..goes to doctors/hospital and is tested and confirmed positive a number of people require hospitalisation and 7 in 200 die? How do they calculate all the people who have felt unwell but had only minor symptoms and so never been tested or gone to the doctors? There must be a high number of those.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  4. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    The huge problem that will face the world in the coming weeks and months is a shortage of goods manufactured in China.

There's already a huge price increase happening in the computer market, because many Chinese factories have been closed for over a month. It's estimated that just 15% of goods are being produced, compared to normal levels. Additionally, only a small percentage of that 15% is able to be transported, because of limitations within China on people travelling between provinces.

This will destroy businesses, both in the retail market and due to not being able to work (aka. no laptops available)

5. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I’ve heard that all matches involving LEEDS UNITED and SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY have been cancelled with immediate effect due to concerns about them inevitably becoming mass gatherings of people, reaching the hundreds of thousands. Unsure if true like.

Mido, TitusMagee and North Yorks Red like this.
  6. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’d heard Wednesdays conquest of Europe had been put on the back burner...you know for safety’s sake

Duntpasstome and Chef Tyke like this.
  7. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's no chance against the West Stand, its residents have survived 2 world wars, the plague, Orgreave and the Doyle era.

8. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    OK so,latest estimates are 93000 People approx have died from the Covid-19 virus outbreak (most appear to be victims with existing conditions and/or elderly people) from a WORLDWIDE population of 7.8 BILLION .
    The media hysteria has now been joined by WHO making statements like 3.5% death rate without clarifying or qualifying that figure which the media leap on with banner headlines. Whilst this is higher than the death rate from Flu (again usually targeting the elderly or people like smokers and/or other complications) in terms of the likelihood of dying from Covid 19 the odds for individuals are exremely low.
    Whilst we should not 'do a Trump' and dismiss the threat as non-existent, irresponsible reporting and those wishing to cash in (e.g. reports of misleading adverts from websites selling facemasks deemed ineffective) is causing panic buying, serious damage to economies, food and material shortages and job losses.

It is fair to say this is the first mass outbreak /imminent Pandemic in the mass social media era and highlights its negative side. The media are having a field day and lack of quality in journalism with its emphasis on 'clickbait' reporting (bar few notable exceptions) is depressing. To ascertain the true situation whilst wading through all the conflicting reports, statistics medical advice is enough to give you a headache never mind the virus itself!.

Worse still, here in Italy the politicians have weaponised it - The regional president of Le Marche issued a decree to close all schools for a week trying to gain political capital over rivals, only for it to backfire when it was overuled by Conti in Central Govt. Then when some outbreaks occurred in Le Marche it was reintroduced along with some bizarre and 'wooly' measures for bars and Restaurants e.g tables have to be at least one metre apart, no queuing at the bar (you must be served) none of which is practical in many of the small bars dotted around (every town and village has their 'Bar Centrale') Parents and teachers alike don't know whether they are on their 'ar*e or their elbow '. Do they turn up for school or keep the kids at home or arrange childcare...no? Yes? no? yes!!! Last night at 6pm they announced that schools are closed until Monday giving people little time to arrange childcare and or notify employers.

Madness!

EDIT ---Oops!! should have read....
    Coronavirus Cases:93,211 Deaths:3,203 Recovered:51,006
    However that just emphasises the overreaction in much of the media

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  9. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    These seems a reasonable take in why jt isnt madness

https://link.medium.com/KFmE0muGz4

and this is interesting from Bill Gates looking at the different outlooks of people.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...ew-coronavirus-spread-two-sides-of-the-debate

In can be brexit all over again! Growthers v Base-raters.

pompey_red and TitusMagee like this.
  10. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    93000 have been infected. The death toll last I checked was around 2900.

Tekkytyke and TitusMagee like this.
  11. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The problem for me is that the number of infected in the UK isn't 36, or whatever the current confirmed number is, it's 36 + x, where x is an unknown number of asymptomatic infected who are walking round and infecting others. By the time the confirmed number reaches the level where you'd ordinarily think about taking preventative measures such as cancelling gatherings etc. it's likely that the horse will have already bolted.

I see the mortality rate as slightly misleading as well. A lot of the more affected people who survive require ventilation. If there is a large outbreak there will be more of these people than available ventilators and the mortality rate will climb.

I'm not calling for mass panic at this stage, just the cancellation of major events and guidance to work from home wherever possible. I think there's a real chance that the government is effectively underreacting and burying its head in the sand.

Cowboy and ScubaTyke like this.
  12. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Yep! You are right I mixed up the figures having several sites open at once.
    I have added an edit.
    Coronavirus Cases:93,211 Deaths:3,203 Recovered:51,006

However that just emphasises the overreaction in much of the media.

Hykehamtyke likes this.
  13. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The thing that makes me laugh about all this is that people keep saying flu kills more each year. It is bound to! It has been around for a long time and is therefore well established. This is just warming up! It is more infectious than flu and is spreading rapidly.

Given that I work in GP surgeries for most of the week, I am probably at greater risk than the average bloke on the street. I'm not panicking just yet but this could potentially get a whole lot worse quite quickly.

14. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I feel sorry for the half a person.

wakeyred likes this.
  15. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Putting aside the fact that the figure I quoted Worldwide were the confirmed cases NOT deaths, your point can be, in part countered by the fact that whilst the unknown asymptomatic numbers mask the true numbers of infected there is also another unknown i.e., the number of people who contracted the virus but go unreported as they had relatively minor symptoms so either did not know they had Covid-19 and put it down to flu bug or just did not go to the doctor to get it diagnosed (albeit more awareness probably reduces those numbers). Like all 'new' viruses or germs,the infection rate will be higher because flu has been around a long time and some people are naturally immune from antibodies from mothers (particularly through breastfeeding) It does not necessarily mean the new virus is more aggressive in terms of the percentage that catch it and its spread it is just that no one has natural immunity to it.

16. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah the people here to help are more in the firing line than anybody.

Redstone and TitusMagee like this.
  17. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Hope you stay healthy. Take care. Unless you are an old git like me it is highly likely you will be inconvenienced and be unwell for a few days if you do catch it rather than anything more serious. Real influenza is horrible I once caught it back in the early seventies when they trialled a live vaccine. 90% of the staff had the jab and most of us the branch were off sick for 1 or 2 weeks and they had to close it . I was in a bedsit at the time and couldn't even walk to the shared bathroom. I had to go on my hand and knees.

18. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We’ll be reight.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  19. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks. I feel confident that I would be fine if I got it. I've had both flu and swine flu before and lived to see another day. Im more concerned that I will inadvertedly pass it onto more vulnerable people but as long as I follow local policy that is all I can do.

JamDrop, Redstone and Stephen Dawson like this.
  20. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree about the percentage that might not know they've had it/got it and spread it that way. For young people it might just feel like a bad cold and they may soldier on and infect co workers.