Current team

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Ironjaw94, May 24, 2017.

1. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with this. Think we'll be using loan market for strikers and one or two other positions.
    A lot of work to do, but as long as we keep Hecky I think we have every chance of building a team capable of staying up next season.
    That has to be the objective every season for us.

2. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well I suggest to you, ask for a refund because you are clearly unhappy but my point was, what is your beaf about loan players ? Does it really matter as long as the player wearing that red shirt is doing a good job, as was the case last year & the season before. Incidently, isnt the point about buying a season ticket being the reason you dont have to pay out £36 for a match, all though off the top of my head, I cant recall that on many occasions last year.

3. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Loan players don't have a resale value hence we cannot guarantee the long term survival of the club by selling them

4. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Does it matter? Depends if you believe in the supposed strategy of developing and selling players for a profit. Not much profit in developing other clubs players. How much will we get for improving Ryan Kent this season?

I don't have to pay £36 - and I never would - but if you are charging these prices you have to spend accordingly, otherwise there's no justification.

5. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes it matters. The loan system causes a disassociation between fans and team. A small town club like ours depends on the link between fans and team that common sense of purpose. It is hard to feel that when half your team isn't yours and will be gone in a few months. The loan system is rotten and needs to be reformed. It's one of the reasons I couldn't be bothered to get a season ticket this year for the first time (when I have been in the country) in 25 years.

In terms of developing the club long term they contribute nothing as they have no resale value and take the positions of players we could be developing.

The loan players who help get us promoted were the exception rather than tbe rule for every Ashley Fletcher you have to wade through a dozen Conor Wilkinson's.

Of the ones we loaned last year only James and Morsy were unqualified successes and both showed the problems with loaning players in different ways. Ryan Kent was pretty hit and miss. Armstrong/Elder and Jones more miss than hit.

To charge one person on one occasion £36 or £38 quid is wrong. We have match day ticket pricing wrong. As a newly minted non season ticket holder who believes that 20 is plenty and certainly won't pay more than 25 I won't be attending Oakwell that much this coming season.

Conan Troutman and SirPsychoSexy like this.
  6. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    True, but loan players helped us to a higher level & then different loan players helped us maintain that level. I personally think its all about striking a balance & Hecky seems to know what he is doing.

7. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Developing other teams players helped us get to and maintain the current level . Regarding the pay back we get for developing such as Ryan Kent, is obvious, if we slip from the Championship then our revenue slips accordingly & these loan players have helped us maintain our status. I wonder when you mention the the fact that the prices charged ( £36 ) should be spent accordingly, do you suggest we should stop free season tickets for kids , as this effects our spending also. I didnt realise either that it was £36 pounds every match.

8. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So you think Ryan Kent's individual contribution has been worth more than playing one of our wingers, developing them and selling them for, let's say £5m - do you think Kent's contribution has been worth more than that?

I would not get rid of kid's free tickets (not sure where that question has come from) but I would get rid of senior concessions.

9. I'm Spartacus

I'm Spartacus Well-Known Member

Missionary
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Huddersfield (similar sized club to us) have done alright with the loan system.

10. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Similarly sized but a bigger budget due to a richer owner.

Not a dig at Cryne either. It is what it is.

Huddersfield have signed loan players who have made a big difference, like ours did in L1. This season they have made less of a difference.

11. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Why would you get rid of senior concessions - to me that makes no sense at all neither financially or ethically

12. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They can afford to pay just the same as anyone under the qualifying age. Makes financial sense to me and ethics don't come into it. To my mind anyway.

13. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    Some can many cant - most pensioners don't have the same income as they did when they were working. That's why almost all venues give a concession to seniors ( and Kids) I would expect a large number would not renew season tickets if their prices doubled due to concession being removed, many because they couldn't afford to and quite a few who could afford it would stop as well. It could easily see a revenue reduction, and shaft fans who for years had supported us but then could no longer afford to do so.

14. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Turnstile means testing... its the way forward. Imagine Atos getting involved!!!

15. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Many under 25s can't afford it either. Where do we draw the line?

16. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    Maybe we all ought to be given photoID's with income bands shown so that any poor people can get entrances to events, subsidised travel etc but rich people always pay the full price. Or for home owning pensioners how about they pay a reduced rate now but are forced to write into their will a donation from their estate for the difference to the full price.

Need to be careful though as although that above is a sarcastic suggestion - you only have too look at satirical ideas over the years that later become government policy.

17. tingleytyke

tingleytyke Well-Known Member

Used to be Shift Engineer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bring back tati picking week. :)

18. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Aye wheers Jack gone?

19. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bugger off am counting days off til I get mine. It`ll not quite be like those free games gerrin lifted ort turnstiles, climbing ort wall near bogs at back of Brewery or squeezing under exit gate at away end but it`ll be near enuff for my physical capabilities narr days.

20. Iro

Ironjaw94 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A few sources reporting we're favourites for Connor Mahoney again after he rejected a new deal! Think think would make a positive impact on line up too.