Current team

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Ironjaw94, May 24, 2017.

1. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's 25th May and people already panicking about bringing players in FFS. Play offs aren't even concluded... The mind boggles..

Red CB likes this.
  2. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The loan system does not cause a disassociation at all.

The decent players we ourselves have nurtured and lumped into the first team e.g Hirst Stones Holgate probably played less than a season's worth of games.

Watching Steven Dawson et al game after game did not associate me with my club. It frustrated me. As did all those average performers recently year after year.

Cheering on winners last season, and this too, did bind me, and judging by the crowd sizes many others, with the club.

To suggest watching Matty James strut around midfield playing with a class beyond anything seen for ages at Oakwell is a "disassociation" is perverse.

RedAllOver likes this.
  3. Joh

Johnny the tyke Well-Known Member

Beer Baron
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    FFS season has just ended, and we finished mid table in a very tough championship. Hats of to Hecky and all at BFC for a great campaign in 2016/17. Bring on 2017/18 season.

Whilst most clubs have not yet announced retained lists. We have and started to do our early already bringing in promising young talent in Stevie Mallan. Understandably Josh Scowen wants to consider options, but has by no means left the club. I hope we can resurrect a deal and extend his stay. The squad as it stands is down to the bare bones but that is to be expected at this stage following announcement of retained list and 99.99% of clubs in the football league will be the same situation. Despite this we could still have spine of the team, and experience throughout the side but clearly we need to add strength and depth to the side.

I hope to see a new keeper as competition and back up for Davies, Left fullback (championship quality), combative midfielder, winger, and at least 2 forwards (an experienced lad with physical presence, and poacher). Plus a 2-3 loans from prem who want to come and play!

Red CB, Donny Red and occook like this.
  4. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There was always the knowledge we'd never afford him.

Good player but how many games did we win with him playing? 3 was it?

5. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes I do think Ryans contribution has been very good & I think that if we had a player of the same ability, then Ryan would not have been with us. I mentioned the kids free tickets because you were making an example of how high are prices are, I was showing a contrast. I am trying to say, when you cherry pick £36 & make an issue of it, I think in fairness to the club, free tickets should also be mentioned.

6. tobyornottoby

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We are a football club.

Not a factory.

If your sole reason for existing is to produce players for a profit, how can you reasonably expect to stay in this division?

Last time I went to Oakwell, I wasn't warming my hands at the thought purely of enhancing Patrick's bank balance.

7. tobyornottoby

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We did afford Steven Dawson.

But you're right - we probably only won a couple of games when he was on the pitch.

8. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's a fair point, but I think the days when you could assume that pensioners as a whole are worse off than people who work are now behind us.

9. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I like Matty James. He's a good player. Not a patch on Conor Hourihane (so ages can't be very long in your world) but good. Still we won what 3 games with him in the team and played at a level that would get us relegated over a full season. Not really influential enough to have had a massive impact on performances.

Just picking a random average player does zero for your argument. I will pick a few Ronnie Glavin, Neil Redfearn, Paul Futcher, Clive Baker, Arian de Zeeuw, Conor Hourihane, Nicky Elden, Gerry Taggart, Ray McHale, Mick McCarthy. None of them loans. All of them better than any loan player we have ever had.

You may be content developing players for other clubs watching other teams players that's your choice though perhaps you could just go see the teams that employ them rather than ours and cut out the middle man.

It's the sky TV version of football you may be happy with it that's your prerogative. As for crowds they remained pretty steady in terms of home fans with attendances increasing as a result of increased away fans.

Mick McCarthy played hundreds of games, Nicky Eaden played hundreds of games, Eric Winstanley played hundreds of games as did Andy Liddell and many other. Again selectively picking examples does little or nothing for your argument.

You may think starting from scratch every year is the bees knees. We shall see. I am telling you as a long term fan it has disassociated me so it clearly does. Your experience is not the experience of everyone. Over the last 10 years at least 10 of my mates have stopped going, at least in part, because of our reliance on loans.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fan Forum mobile app

10. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would it not have been more productive to source a player of our own and develop them through the course of a season?

In terms of overall influence on results Ryan's influence was minimal though he did improve towards of the end of the season and become consistent.

What's to say if we had signed Ryan Hedges and played him for a full season that he might not have had a similar 'impact' and entered next season with a full season behind him ready to play a massive role next year rather than starting with little or no game time behind him?

11. tobyornottoby

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We did afford Steven Dawson.

But you're right - we probably only won a couple of games when he was on the pitch.

12. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    With a spine of home grown players and owned players we made it to the premiership.

Like I said why don't you just get Man U tv if you want to watch their u23 team.

Maybe you and your soul mate Hemsworth Tyke will be having a romantic meal in the same pub unless you are one and the same...

I am supportive of our plan to develop our own players you clearly are not. That's your choice. Did you jism over Michael Smith or Joe Rothwell or Brek Shea or Dan Crowley. All fantastic loan signings I'm sure you agree.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Conan Troutman likes this.
  13. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you think his contribution was worth £5m?

14. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought the club MO was to be a factory?

Redstar likes this.
  15. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

16. tobyornottoby

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Hemsie and I will be at our game mate. Canoodling indeed. That's what we'll be watching. Our team.

Which constitutes support whether they're loanees or not.

I'm sure the club treasure your support of their plan. From afar.

I wouldn't knock promotion from any division either. May 1979 against Grimsby - last game me and my dad went together to. Obviously 2100+ of us were getting worked up over nowt.

17. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the loan system sucks too. Should be there to cover for injuries, but the reality is, as I see it that we cannot afford the wages of a squad big enough & of a high enough standard, without using the loan market. If the academy was bringing 2-3 players through a season then we'd need less reliance on it, but we've only brought through Stones & Holgate in recent times & both didn't play even a full season's fixtures before they were sold.
    As a result I think there will be 5 or so full time signings & same amount of loan players, probably from big clubs. Good thing with the loan players is wages are heavily subsidised & there is no fee / risk, other than maybe an agreement to start them in x number of games.

I have a mate I go to the gym with, who watches Accrington & every season they pretty much start from scratch.
    It is what it is. I don't like the system, but if the football is good, then i'll get to as many matches as my work allows.
    If it's crap. then I'll pick my matches more.

I got round the £36 thing by buying a flexi ticket & using it for all the top category games & paying on the gate, or occasionally borrowing a mate's ST on occasions. Probably averaged paying £25 quid a game I recon over 15 home league matches, which I didn't think was too bad.

18. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

The Grimsby game was good. Pretty excellent in fact. Not many loans in the team as I recall. Nor in Hunters team. Nor in Wilson's team not even in Ritchie's team. For every successful loanee we will have 10 -12 failures. I will see your Stephen Dawson and raise you a Brek Shea or even an Andy Blair. Is the atmosphere the same these days or is it anyway disassociated and feeble. All seater Oakwell plays a part but the passion seems to have gone as well.

It's different strokes for different folks. You are a better fan/bigger mug. Well done. I'm looking forward to a little break. Catching up with old friends spending some time with my kids. Out of the mouths of babes. My little one said why is it so quiet here is everyone asleep at the last home game ( she's had a season ticket from birth with her sister) but much prefers the atmosphere at say Bradford instead of a morgue like Oakwell so we will go there.

Last time we were in Division 1 Didn't miss a game home or away. I had some grand times and some ***** ones. Along the way I fell out of love with football in general but still felt the passion for my club it's not there for me anymore and I can't fake it.

19. tobyornottoby

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well you're straying far beyond my level of understanding there mate.

For me it will always be darn't Well.

I could not possibly be found anywhere else.

20. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Can I just say mate, for someone so out of love with the club, which you keep on telling us, you still post about the club on here more regular than most. You have told us you go every week, home and away, you bring your kids etc. I'm not convinced you can just walk away. I hope you don't.

And as I have friends who watch City, mine and their opinion differs from yours regards atmosphere. It's dead inside VP most games, and another playoff failure won't have helped on that score.
    Cheaper to get in though. But still third tier.

Like I say, I hope you remain a Red. But it's your prerogative.

Chin up pal.

Red CB and Donny Red like this.