David davis brexit impact assessment does not exist

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by tyrone1, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, Cameron really dropped the ball with the referendum and will always be tarred with it. Up to that point though I always thought he was one of the least offensive Tory leaders in my lifetime (along with Major). In general, he was certainly an improvement on May.

2. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bloody double posts.

3. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

My only comment on Cameron is that he was clone of Blair, who had to contend with head bangers in his party on euro sceptisim as Blair had to deal with similar with the left. In both parties now, those sectors are having influence. It's both Cameron's and Blair's fault imho that we are now so fractured - both pursued slavish neo liberal, globalist corporatist policies to the detriment of democracy in the UK.

4. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The EU are to blame, for giving Cameron nowt when he was sniffing around trying to pretend to obtain something that might look like it limited the free movement of EU citizens.

Any sop to the swamped would have done it.

5. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The EU is interested in the EU project, end of. It's gone beyond trade and people. Voting to remain was not voting for things to stay as they are. Martin Schultz, whilst not (yet) in any meaningful position of power in Germany told us that yesterday. It comes down to your personal view about nation states etc if you want to be part of a superstate or an individual nation. But as ever, numbers on a bus and brown people etc - it's easy to argue against dumb maths and racism, maybe not so much about the effective abolition of your country as a legal entity.

6. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And money.

Lots of money.

Thats always first on the list when it comes to the EU and the UK.

7. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You mean, like implement the EU citizens charter 2004 allowing the removal of EU citizens after 3 months for social policy reasons (like not working). So we had the means to do it for over a decade and none of the governments did.

8. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It actually come down to if you want a fairer state or one that inly looks after the elite.unfortunately this country chose that layer

9. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Yes it's very important we retain our sovereignty.... its very important legislation we don't want is bullied in by bills that are allowed through by unelected lords and MP's who are unaccountable, despite an inference that they are once every 5 years. it's important that parliamentary debates don't exist and anything published is heavily redacted... for our own good. Yes, very important we retain our sovereignty, very very important.

The irony I find in all of this, is people who suggest we lose our "culture", our national identity by being in the EU. Well can someone tell me just what that is? What is "Britishness"? What is our identity?

Our common "national" dishes are chilli con carne, fish and chips, spaghetti bolognese and chicken tikka masala (the latter two dishes don't even exist in their origin countries). Very british. You look around in the regions, in the north especially and the increasing volume of fat stupid lazy people is frightening.

We don't make anything of note. Our skills are minimal. We import just about everything and cheap and throwaway is king.

Cooking is becoming more and more rare as westernised social media floods into our already busy lives. we want it yesterday and we want lots of it and we want it in a deal, delivered to us, opened for us and then taken away after for free.

And we have a media that distorts with large swathes of people all too gullible to swallow it.

When I visit Europe, I see identity in even landlocked countries. Go to Italy and tell me how they've lost their heritage. Tell me how places just 20 miles apart could act so differently as if they were in different continents. Visit Turin and see how different it is to Milan. See the difference from a neopolitan woman and one from Rome. See the difference between Parma and Bologna. vast regionalisations and inherent culture and identity, despite the EU making them a superstate. And what about south Tyrol, that fuses Italians and Germanic cultures side by side?

And the same is mirrored through Europe. Yet its a peddled myth that our island is being consumed, we're being overrun, we're losing our identity, we're losing our rights.

We have no identity. We're an increasingly obese mini me of the US with a few foibles that include the weather, queues and having a stiff upper lip, not to be confused with our inate bloody mindedness that stops us seeing the obvious, even when its in our best interests.

I don't have an issue with the EU making rules and laws for me, because they tend to be better debated, better thought out, more clearly shared and better suited than the ridiculously ideological ones our own politicians make. I have no issue with free movement, because I benefit from travel myself, and I don't see why someone willing to work hard, get off their backside and give their all for their family should be blocked from doing so. And I have no issue getting closer and closer to Europe and being part of a "superstate".

Everyone thinks differently. I just don't resent people for where they are from. Just what they do and the morality and endeavour they have.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Brush, JamDrop and Scoff like this.
  10. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It actually come down to if you want a fairer state or one that inly looks after the elite.unfortunately this country chose that layer